Lyrics That Still Make No Sense to You

Anaïs.

Yeah, in the fast part of Dirty Rotten Bastards he suddenly sings about a "Julianna homicide" and mentions that "Julianna walks on holy ground." I just never figured out who this Julianna girl is and what her significance is within the song.

That could make sense with the line about his middle name being danger, but I think that's about it. The rest seems more applicable to Billie. Like the first line - Billie was born in the year of the rat (1972, 1984, 1996, etc), but neither of his sons were. And I guess we could say that Billie was "out of control." Baby Eyes is kind of a weird song though, so I'm not sure what it all means.

I think Baby Eyes is about someone who is dangerous and is always "out of control" that meets a girl who he fell in love with. He really loves her but he's scared because his crazy personality might hurt the girl, he is the one who is putting the girl's life in danger ("I am the motor in your crashing car"). He's aware of that, so he asks God to save her soul ("God rest your fucking soul").

I'm not sure what the title of the song has to do with the song... maybe it is referencing the innocent eyes of that girl I talked about.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Baby Eyes is about someone who is dangerous and is always "out of control" that meets a girl who he fell in love with. He really loves her but he's scared because his crazy personality might hurt the girl, he is the one who is putting the girl's life in danger ("I am the motor in your crashing car"). He's aware of that, so he asks God to save her soul ("God rest your fucking soul").

I'm not sure what the title of the song has to do with the song... maybe it is referencing the innocent eyes of that girl I talked about.

Oh I like that!! I had kind of thought something similar, but wasn't totally sure. Thanks! :)

I like this explantation!

And I'm pretty sure the "my middle name is Danger" line is just Billie giving a hidden little shout out to his son and taking the opportunity to show off that name as he always likes to :lol:, can't see how lyrics could possibly actually be about him in any way.

"Warning" is all about living in a society dominated by slogans (I think BJA said most of the lyrics are modified versions of bumper stickers he saw). It even says at one point, "Get your philosophy from a bumper sticker." It's about a world in which people don't want to live independently or dangerously, but instead follow the advice of the slogans and soundbites all around them.

It's also about the ridiculousness of authority. "Is it the cop, or am I the one that's really dangerous?/ Sanitation, expiration date, question everything./ Or shut up and be a victim of authority." Down with the maaan.

All of Sweet 16. None of those lyrics mean anything. Absolutely incoherent. I mean really. And even if they do mean something. Sweet 16 is your 16th birthday. Billie is 41. Aside from that, even if the meaning is symbolic, what the hell do the lyrics mean? Feels like a weak attempt at a radio hit to me.. as all of the trilogy does.

All of Sweet 16. None of those lyrics mean anything. Absolutely incoherent. I mean really. And even if they do mean something. Sweet 16 is your 16th birthday. Billie is 41. Aside from that, even if the meaning is symbolic, what the hell do the lyrics mean? Feels like a weak attempt at a radio hit to me.. as all of the trilogy does.

Why is everyone in this thread so bad at metaphor?

Do we need to go back to eighth grade English?

Why is everyone in this thread so bad at metaphor?

Do we need to go back to eighth grade English?

So bad at metaphor. Metaphor. Metaphor. Metaphor.

I saw somewhere its a song to adrienne for their 16th anniversary which was in 2010. Some of it makes sense like "time stands still as the years go by" but I think that's one of the songs that make lots of sense to billie but pretty much none to the fans

I saw somewhere its a song to adrienne for their 16th anniversary which was in 2010. Some of it makes sense like "time stands still as the years go by" but I think that's one of the songs that make lots of sense to billie but pretty much none to the fans

Hmm. That would make sense. She's not a brown skinned girl though.

So bad at metaphor. Metaphor. Metaphor. Metaphor.

If you're trying to point out the lack of pluralization it doesn't need it and you should be ashamed for trying to attack someone's grammatical mistakes anyway.

Hmm. That would make sense. She's not a brown skinned girl though.

They actual lyric says brown eyed girl but I have no clue what adriennes eye color is

If you're trying to point out the lack of pluralization it doesn't need it and you should be ashamed for trying to attack someone's grammatical mistakes anyway.

You attacked my ability to use the basic form of the english language and my understanding of it's concepts. The level of hypocrisy here is over 9000.

They actual lyric says brown eyed girl but I have no clue what adriennes eye color is.

It says both brown eyed girl and brown skinned girl.

They actual lyric says brown eyed girl but I have no clue what adriennes eye color is

It says brown skinned as well and both her parents are Lebanese.

The-more-you-know.png

You attacked my ability to use the basic form of the english language and my understanding of it's concepts. The level of hypocrisy here is over 9000.

It says both brown eyed girl and brown skinned girl.

Ohh ok well i don't know then, but I guess I just learned that both of her parents are Lebanese so maybe that's it

Yeah but I was right in the first place and you were taking an entire song literally and assuming that the things you didn't understand don't have deeper meaning.

Also it's concepts. it's. it's. it's.

Yeah but I was right in the first place and you were taking an entire song literally and assuming that the things you didn't understand don't have deeper meaning.

Also it's concepts. it's. it's. it's.

Apostrophes are used to signify possession as well as in contractions. If I used that rule wrong, I'm entirely sorry. I'm done arguing here. Condescension doesn't get you anywhere. And if it makes you feel better about yourself that's fine with me. If you've got a better grasp on the english language than I do, good for you. I'm not quite done highschool yet. And honestly, my criticism comes from how much of a lyrical disaster these albums are, regardless of if they have meaning or not, I'd love to hear a developed argument as to how they aren't Billie's worst lyrics to date, as a whole.

On topic, now.

If the song has a deeper meaning, then great. I guess I must be a complete dumbass for missing a meaning that is veiled by Billie's personal life, something I have absolutely no interest or connection to. From a few listens over, it sounds like a song that they pumped out for radio airplay, as does, like I said, the entire trilogy, to me.

Apostrophes are used to signify possession as well as in contractions. If I used that rule wrong, I'm entirely sorry. I'm done arguing here. Condescension doesn't get you anywhere. And if it makes you feel better about yourself that's fine with me. If you've got a better grasp on the english language than I do, good for you. I'm not quite done highschool yet. And honestly, my criticism comes from how much of a lyrical disaster these albums are, regardless of if they have meaning or not, I'd love to hear a developed argument as to how they aren't Billie's worst lyrics to date, as a whole.

On topic, now.

If the song has a deeper meaning, then great. I guess I must be a complete dumbass for missing a meaning that is veiled by Billie's personal life, something I have absolutely no interest or connection to. From a few listens over, it sounds like a song that they pumped out for radio airplay, as does, like I said, the entire trilogy, to me.

No they aren't, and it has nothing to do with how good the lyrics are. All I said in the beginning was that it was a metaphor and the condescension isn't only directed towards you.

There's nothing wrong with not seeing the meaning of a song, unless you wrote it that can be pretty tricky at times! It's assuming that just because you can't see the meaning there isn't a meaning that's a bit silly.

There's nothing wrong with not seeing the meaning of a song, unless you wrote it that can be pretty tricky at times! It's assuming that just because you can't see the meaning there isn't a meaning that's a bit silly.

I did pose the question at the end of my original post. My posts are always opinionated and I sometimes don't state that. I probably should, though.

No they aren't, and it has nothing to do with how good the lyrics are. All I said in the beginning was that it was a metaphor and the condescension isn't only directed towards you.

Yes, they are, after research, you don't use them with pronouns, and that's as far as I'll go with this argument. The title of the song isn't so much what confuses me but the lyrics. American Idiot and 21st century breakdown are also filled with metaphors. But I can understand those. Not so much here. It feels like Billie is trying to speak to teenagers again with his lyrics in these new albums, that's why I am massively critical on the new records. Songs like Fell for You and Lady Cobra and Makeout Party don't seem like something a 40 year old man would give a damn about, when he's been married for nearly 20 years. If it's a metaphor, then whatever, that's great, but the songs, regardless of their subject, aren't as mature as you'd hope Billie would have been when writing these songs. Green Day have been known to bend their music to continue to be at the height of mainstream popularity in rock, and while they still succeeded with these albums, the lyrics do not feel as from the heart and as passionate as any of his other lyrics. They almost feel like lyrics from scrapped songs from 39/smooth. As opinionated as I am, I still feel like he's trying to please teenagers because nowadays that is your target audience. Using the Forgotten in Twilight is a perfect example. This is just MY opinion, though.

To clarify what I said about 39/smooth, is that Billie wrote those songs as a teenager, worrying about teenager problems. Not 30-40 year old fuck the government and its ways Billie.

Enough with the #hotdrama, back to lyrics you still don't understand.

What's the suicide commando? My momma never told me about it...:/

Someone who kills themself without wearing any undies?! (Your mama must have told you to always wear clean undies......)

I did pose the question at the end of my original post. My posts are always opinionated and I sometimes don't state that. I probably should, though.

Yes, they are, after research, you don't use them with pronouns, and that's as far as I'll go with this argument. The title of the song isn't so much what confuses me but the lyrics. American Idiot and 21st century breakdown are also filled with metaphors. But I can understand those. Not so much here. It feels like Billie is trying to speak to teenagers again with his lyrics in these new albums, that's why I am massively critical on the new records. Songs like Fell for You and Lady Cobra and Makeout Party don't seem like something a 40 year old man would give a damn about, when he's been married for nearly 20 years. If it's a metaphor, then whatever, that's great, but the songs, regardless of their subject, aren't as mature as you'd hope Billie would have been when writing these songs. Green Day have been known to bend their music to continue to be at the height of mainstream popularity in rock, and while they still succeeded with these albums, the lyrics do not feel as from the heart and as passionate as any of his other lyrics. They almost feel like lyrics from scrapped songs from 39/smooth. As opinionated as I am, I still feel like he's trying to please teenagers because nowadays that is your target audience. Using the Forgotten in Twilight is a perfect example. This is just MY opinion, though.

To clarify what I said about 39/smooth, is that Billie wrote those songs as a teenager, worrying about teenager problems. Not 30-40 year old fuck the government and its ways Billie.

Holy fucking wall-of-text. tl;dr

What's the suicide commando? My momma never told me about it...:/

It's not one thing. Suicide is the describing word and commando is what St. Jimmy is. A commando is someone who goes into battle without fire arms and possibly without bows or arrows or anything but I'm not sure about that. Just basically knives and bayonets and the like.

So he's a commando of suicide, but probably not literal suicide since the song isn't that dark yet.

When I was 11, I asked my mom what a "suicide makeover" was when we were listening to Nimrod in the car. She said "It means you look like hell."

I just feel like this story belongs in this thread.

"Life's a cruel crushing bastard crime"

Loss of Control anyone?

Ok so since we're all bashing Missing You for that one line that makes it sound like it's written by a 4-year old, did anyone else feel like the chorus of Loss of Control sounded pretty stupid too? It's not only incredibly redundant, but seriously, brilliant lyrical wordsmith we all know and worship Billie Joe couldn't do better? I was disappointed.

Also, speaking of Billie's genius level in terms of deeper meaning, doesn't the whole song seem a little.. sub-par?

The way I understand the song, is that Billie wrote it for someone he hated in school.

So the way I see it, the person might have been really popular or something, and now life is a 'cruel crushing bastard crime' to the person

Archived