Lyrics That Still Make No Sense to You

Anaïs.

"Sex, drugs and violence. English, math and science"

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never understood what "Drinking angel piss" had to do with anything.

I have never understood what "Drinking angel piss" had to do with anything.

It's a metaphor.

"Wow, that dirty dress is so loud", no idea how a dress can be loud.

Loud is slang for something being overdone, bright, flashy, excessive, etc.

djsklfweawrjktlhsjkthheioh IN THE SKYYYYY

dshafherjktsrhtuttqwerqwrerdfsaf MY MIIIIND

jsdkrteruiyuityrefbrejsdfahj LAND OF PEEEEAAACCE

NOW I wahtgjkhsgjkfghrtueuithsdkls FROM

I had to relisten to the song; thanks for the lulz. But seriously, if there's a Green Day song I don't understand, I blame it on drugs. A song written high about being super, super high.

BTW i clicked on all of your spoilers negative creep. I dont know what I was expecting :\

Looking at the clouds in the sky
Floating image in my mind
Land of beauty and land of peace
Now I wonder where this place is from
The evidence is everywhere
I got a job and now I'm scared
Strange beings all around
Come everyone to this place I've found
I feel what is like to be wanted I wonder why
All the doors could be opened
No more cries/crimes
My eyes are clear and now I'm cured
Don't you wanna be for sure?
I know my rights I'm allowed to die
So I'd rather swap your different guise
It's in my head if you will find
Mother love from all mankind
You look above and then you shout (???? this line is probably incorrect)
No other way to say your head is right

So yeah...
(we all worked hard on that BTW in some thread once)

Some lyrics I never really understood were in Bab's Uvula Who? It seems like each chorus is different...

What's the difference between thieves and crooks? :ermm:

Trying to think of other lyrics that I never quite worked out...it's really hard though when there are so many damn songs! Though I will say that I only just found out the proper meaning of the lyric 'a conscientious objector to the war that's in my mind' from Castaway the other day. I didn't know 'conscientious objector' was an actual term for someone refusing to perform military service, and the line makes so much more sense to me now and I love the song even more now, if that's possible!

wow :woot:

"She gave up on Jesus for living on Venus"

That line I see as a reference to the girl that left him to go somewhere far away he sings about in Good Riddance. Seing as Billie Joe is the Jesus of Surburbia.

But maybe thats just me :P

I think you're looking too much into it. Plus Billie isn't JoS, even though it all "came from him", JoS is a fictional character. And I doubt Billie would call himself "Jesus" (without the "of" or anything), it just doesn't sound like something he would do.

I'd say "Jesus" in this context is either religion, the obvious, or something else that you can rely on and feel secure with. "Venus" would be another world, something completely different, if not the opposite, from the "secure home" type of thing that "Jesus" represents. Something wild and crazy or something unknown. So basically she decided to explore new things instead of sticking to something known.

My two cents.

The first verse of Brutal Love... It's "Turn out the lights, close your eyes" but then right after the song goes, "dance forever, under the lights."

BUT THEY WERE JUST TURNED OUT!

(Unless I'm a total idiot and "turn out" is not synonymous with "turn off"....)

I always thought that the lyrics were "under the night" whcih made sense if it said to turn out the lights

Nuclear Family.

First, Billie Joe writes about partying with "gonna ride the world like a merry go round". By the time the chorus comes round he makes this really weak attempt at social commentary: "like a Chinese drama and conspiracy, it's the death of the nuclear family...it's looking like another bad comedy, just as long as it comes in high fidelity for me too".

Someone please explain.

Could be in the veins of Macy's Day Parade or something like Shakira's song Timor. At least that's how I see it. Some struggle, others watch it on TV.

I always loved the wahtgjkhsgjkfghrtueuithsdkls part.

Loud is slang for something being overdone, bright, flashy, excessive, etc.

Oh, well then it makes perfect sense. Thank you.

"Life's a cruel crushing bastard crime"

Loss of Control anyone?

Ok so since we're all bashing Missing You for that one line that makes it sound like it's written by a 4-year old, did anyone else feel like the chorus of Loss of Control sounded pretty stupid too? It's not only incredibly redundant, but seriously, brilliant lyrical wordsmith we all know and worship Billie Joe couldn't do better? I was disappointed.

Also, speaking of Billie's genius level in terms of deeper meaning, doesn't the whole song seem a little.. sub-par?

"Life's a cruel crushing bastard crime"

Loss of Control anyone?

"life crushes bastards" or "don't be a dick"

Chorus to Sex, Drugs and Violence........."English , math & science" just seem like throw away fill in lyrics that happen to rhyme "Safety in numbers, gimme gimme danger" - just

seem like you would be humming and making up random words to sing...... not really thought through, just easy....

I always figured he says English, Math & Science to symbolize how in high school, kids find Sex Drugs and Violence to be just as important as their classes... English, Math & Science are the 3 big ones in high school.. am I the only one that thinks that?

I always figured he says English, Math & Science to symbolize how in high school, kids find Sex Drugs and Violence to be just as important as their classes... English, Math & Science are the 3 big ones in high school.. am I the only one that thinks that?

I hadn't thought of it that way but I like it! I agree with the other explanation about it being a contrast between the two extremes of the important basic things that school comes down to and the basic vices that people always turn back to as well, but when you put it that way I think he was getting at that too.

Hahaha it's weird. Every lyric in here always made perfect sense to me. I don't know, maybe my mind is as weird as Billie's.

But I do think almost all the lyrics in trilogy are well written, clever, and very revealing. I love them. Actually, that's what I love about Billie's lyrics in general - they have so much meaning, and it's fun to decipher them and try to figure out all the profound meanings they have. I'm totally a lyrics geek, with Green Day especially, but also just overall.

Except I still don't know what this Julianna homicide thing is.

Except I still don't know what this Julianna homicide thing is.

What? The fast part of Dirty Rotten Bastards. Or what was the question?

The song Warning makes absolutely no freakin sense to me, or maybe I'm just dumb. And Dirty Rotten Bastards makes no sense

I don't get the lyrics of Makeout Party....

I don't think you're supposed to. Hell most of the lyrics on Dos plain suck. Like Baby Eyes like what the fuck is that even about.

Like Baby Eyes like what the fuck is that even about.

Probably his son, considering references to Danger, babysitters, and cherubs.

What? The fast part of Dirty Rotten Bastards. Or what was the question?

Yeah, in the fast part of Dirty Rotten Bastards he suddenly sings about a "Julianna homicide" and mentions that "Julianna walks on holy ground." I just never figured out who this Julianna girl is and what her significance is within the song.

Probably his son, considering references to Danger, babysitters, and cherubs.

That could make sense with the line about his middle name being danger, but I think that's about it. The rest seems more applicable to Billie. Like the first line - Billie was born in the year of the rat (1972, 1984, 1996, etc), but neither of his sons were. And I guess we could say that Billie was "out of control." Baby Eyes is kind of a weird song though, so I'm not sure what it all means.

The song Warning makes absolutely no freakin sense to me, or maybe I'm just dumb.

"Warning" is all about living in a society dominated by slogans (I think BJA said most of the lyrics are modified versions of bumper stickers he saw). It even says at one point, "Get your philosophy from a bumper sticker." It's about a world in which people don't want to live independently or dangerously, but instead follow the advice of the slogans and soundbites all around them.

Archived