Lyrics That Still Make No Sense to You

Anaïs.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree with you. 'Wild One' is my favorite song of the trilogy. Lyrically, I think it's well written. I love songs that have to be deciphered in a way. The line 'She gave up on Jesus for living on Venus' to me was saying she left traditional religion/values behind and is living a hedonistic/cult type life. The 'Kool-Aid and Grenade' line I pretty much thought of the Jim Jones story and that went along with the cult like feel of the song. It is a strangely sinister song, but I love it.

Yepp I agree and I didn't even think about the chorus like that but now the whole song seems very culty and hypnotic. It works. I think DOS is the most consistent of the trilogy, it just gets darker and darker and even though I don't really like the finished product of Amy I think it was the perfect way to end DOS, a sobering reminder of fallen rock stars from another rock star on the brink of destruction. It's perfect.

I love how almost every post in here is a song from the trilogy.

I think that says a lot about all the lyrics pre trilogy. Billies always been a great lyricsyst and I don't think many people realize just how great he is and how compared to other writers Billies always been consistent and on point. I truly think the trilogy was born and fueled through booze and drugs and I don't think Billie was a 110% in his right mind while crafting it. The whole thing can be looked at and you can see just how fucked up the guy writing it was which I think gives it art through itself. They are fun songs and like I said before they have powerful meanings hidden throughout them but I think Billies head was going a million miles a minute and that's why the trilogy turned out so sloppy. It's like the bits of the trilogy that sound exactly like other Green Day songs(Carpe Diem, Dirty Rotten Bastards) I bet you that wouldn't have happened and will never happen again. Billie was just a little cloudy and got caught up in this giant project that he kind of lost control over in the end. That's why its so revealing

There are few trilogy lyrics which i think Billie got super lazy with.

"I searched the moon, i lost my head, i even looked under the bed" :/ come on.

There's some others but i can only think of these:

"She gave up on jesus for living on venus"

"I like your BMW, I like you BM excellent tits"

I was curious if in Drama Queen "she dangles from her necklace" is that a really lazy lyric, or something clever where the person in question is tied to fashion that controls her life rather than the other way round.

what? I think the Troublemaker lyrics are good. I like your BMW, BMX-cellent tits. It's talking about BMX and tits at the same time. It's more creative than ' Even looked under the bed'

well I'll quote some line of Hitchin'a a Ride

"cold turkey is getting stale, tonight i'm eating crow, fermented salmonella poison oak no"

I don't know, maybe it's just a miss translation to portuguese, but to me te end of this sentence makes no sense at all.. i just can guess what Billie was trying to meant

>Cold Turkey -

Stopping right away, no slow come down, no one last one, just stopping.

>Eating crow -

Admitting wrongness

>Fermentation -

How alcohol is made

>Salmonella -

What you get from eating raw poultry, it goes with the crow thing.

>Poison Oak -

Lots of alcohol is stored in oak barrels.

I have not spent a lot of time learning the lyrics of the trilogy so... what song is that from? Never heard it but it sounds pretty awful :lol:

Troublemaker. It's supposed to be bad, that whole song is. Y'all needa quit ragging on it.

I'm surprised that some of you have trouble understanding some of the lyrics to "Sex, Drugs & Violence". I don't know, I might be wrong, but here's my interpretation:

For me, the song is about a troublemaker (all my life trouble follows me like a mystery girl) who has now grown up and is feeling a bit bad about how he never made an effort in school and has missed out on learning many things useful to an adult (back in school it never made much sense, now I pay but I can pay attention, teaching me the hardest lessons of my life). He is trying to catch up on everything, but falls back to his old habits sometimes. So the "Sex, drugs and violence, English, maths and science" part is a comparison between the two very different ways of coping with life, and the "safety in numbers" line is pointing towards the fact that math formulas are always the same and thereby bores him and makes him look for danger (gimme gimme danger) instead.

hope in humanity xD but seriously I'm glad I'm not the only who understands this song

I love how almost every post in here is a song from the trilogy.

It's hard to tell if the trilogy was just poorly written due to the volume of songs, or if Billie's head was just that fucked up and all these lyrics just mean really deep things we don't understand. My guess is a little bit of both :ga:

But seeing you guys talk about Castaway makes me super happy because it's my favorite Green Day song mostly because the lyrics are so fucking awesome.

What about "I'm a victim of catch 22" from Walking Contradiction"?

It's hard to tell if the trilogy was just poorly written due to the volume of songs, or if Billie's head was just that fucked up and all these lyrics just mean really deep things we don't understand. My guess is a little bit of both :ga:

But seeing you guys talk about Castaway makes me super happy because it's my favorite Green Day song mostly because the lyrics are so fucking awesome.

Or Billie's head just a fuckload of inspiration to write pointless lyrics!

What about "I'm a victim of catch 22" from Walking Contradiction"?

How does that not not make sense?

I think he just doesn't know that figure of speech.

The first verse of Brutal Love... It's "Turn out the lights, close your eyes" but then right after the song goes, "dance forever, under the lights."

BUT THEY WERE JUST TURNED OUT!

(Unless I'm a total idiot and "turn out" is not synonymous with "turn off"....)

I would say that's two different "lights". The first ones being all the artificial lights nearby, and the second being the stars.

And while I'm here, that under the bed line from Missing You is fucking terrible. Great song, with a terrible, terrible line.

Okay, if that has sense, then explain it to me!

"It's not to 99, it's 99 to 1"

Goddamn, I fucking love that lyric in Missing You. It just shows how desperate Billie has become. He misses the person so much that it's reduced him to a level of childlike desperation. He knows they're not there, but he's so desperate that he goes as far as to look in the most childish of places. It's a humbling reminder of the power of love over even the most cynical of people.

"And all the losers, can you even win for losing?" - Rusty James

Probably refers to people who 'fake' being in a bad situation, and won't do something to make it better

"Did you stand too close to the fire? Like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone"

So liars, that are looking for forgiveness from a stone, tend to stand too close to a fire?

"Did you stand too close to the fire? Like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone"

So liars, that are look for forgiveness from a stone, tend to stand too close to a fire?

You stand too close to a fire you get burnt. I assume the forgiveness thing is like getting water from a stone, it's pointless.

Yeah I dunno how they link at all. Cocaines a helluva drug.

Okay, if that has sense, then explain it to me!

"It's not to 99, it's 99 to 1"

"Catch 22" is an expression that means being stuck in a situation that you can't get out of.

"It's not 1 to 99, it's 99 to 1" is referring to the "We are the 99%" slogan used during the recent Occupy movement in the US, which is about the idea that "99%" of the population is paying the price for the economic mistakes of a small minority or "1%" of the wealthy upper class (you can read more about it here).

I think that lyric is saying that the ordinary citizens of the US can be stronger than the small number of people with huge amounts of wealth and power, that as the majority they can take back the control. Like, "It's not the 1% with the upper hand over the 99%, it's the 99% with the upper hand over the 1%". That's my take on it anyway, hopefully it helps!

Mine too

"Catch 22" is an expression that means being stuck in a situation that you can't get out of.

"It's not 1 to 99, it's 99 to 1" is referring to the "We are the 99%" slogan used during the recent Occupy movement in the US, which is about the idea that "99%" of the population is paying the price for the economic mistakes of a small minority or "1%" of the wealthy upper class (you can read more about it here).

I think that lyric is saying that the ordinary citizens of the US can be stronger than the small number of people with huge amounts of wealth and power, that as the majority they can take back the control. Like, "It's not the 1% with the upper hand over the 99%, it's the 99% with the upper hand over the 1%". That's my take on it

anyway, hopefully it helps!

Oh,dude,thanks! It really helped me out!

So many of the trilogy songs have lyrics that make no senses. Is it deliberate? Or lazy writing? We'll never know.

'Hey, you're living in the W' - Where the fuck is the 'W'? And Rhyming BMW with W is a little odd.

Missing You is a great little tune, but the lyrics are weak as fuck as well. It almost sounds like a parody of a cheesy love song.

Another one is 'You're a sacrificial suicide, like a dog that's been sodomized'. That's a real WTF line right there. Somehow, it works though. Who knew that a lyric about a poor dog being violated anally could make for such an excellent metaphor in a really good song :P

'She's young enough to bleed now' from Drama Queen is a tad creepy if you ask me. EDIT: It's 'old' not 'young'. Fail.

I would say that's two different "lights". The first ones being all the artificial lights nearby, and the second being the stars.

And while I'm here, that under the bed line from Missing You is fucking terrible. Great song, with a terrible, terrible line.

Goddamn, I fucking love that lyric in Missing You. It just shows how desperate Billie has become. He misses the person so much that it's reduced him to a level of childlike desperation. He knows they're not there, but he's so desperate that he goes as far as to look in the most childish of places. It's a humbling reminder of the power of love over even the most cynical of people.

Exactly... For me, that line "I even looked under the bed" once made me cry actually... Specially because the exact same thing happened to my grandmother when my granddad was at the hospital (right before he died)... My mum said she was so confused (she is senile, and she was the one who took care of him, he had Alzheimer's disease) that she was always looking for him around the house, and my mum found her looking under his bed... It really hits me hard to hear that line, after this happened.

'She's young enough to bleed now' from Drama Queen is a tad creepy if you ask me.

The lyric is actually "she's old enough to bleed now", which I think makes more sense than putting "young" in there. Had it been the word young, yeah, it'd be pretty creepy, but the way the lyrics actually are basically say that she's not young anymore, and she's old enough to have troubles of her own that she has to take care of without somebody else patching it up for her.

The lyric is actually "she's old enough to bleed now", which I think makes more sense than putting "young" in there. Had it been the word young, yeah, it'd be pretty creepy, but the way the lyrics actually are basically say that she's not young anymore, and she's old enough to have troubles of her own that she has to take care of without somebody else patching it up for her.

I totally thought it meant she was old enough to have her period...

Archived