Lyrics That Still Make No Sense to You

Anaïs.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/19/2015, 2:30:10, Not A Salad said:

Can we post non Green Day lyrics here?

Not really :P, but feel free to make a thread for working out lyric meanings in Other Artists if you want. If you just want to post lyrics there's also the Random Lyrics Thread there.

• 2 months later...

I've got my best Green Day lyrics that bothers the crap out of me, and I can't ever understand it no matter how many times I look it up and read it.  

The song is "Suffocate"  

What I hear is "Chocolate Flys and ample thighs..."  when in reality he is saying "drop like flys and empathize.  I love this song but after 14 years the lyrics are just plain hard to understand.  Come to think of it, a lot of the Shenanigans lyrics are a bit hard to understand, at least for me.  Most other Green Day albums I know word for word but this one has some weird ones.  

Rotting is another one I can never get right.  

In my fist I clutch?  What? 

20 pounds of trust?  Huh? 

Wipe off my sweat? Gross

Also on Do Da Da (the title is a hint to the nonsense?) :

Hand up your soul to my wrist 
And I'll vow my trust to you 
Moving here I always thought 
I realized you've imagined

T-waaaah?  

The part of When I Come Around where he says "Sell donuts at my door." Yes, that's what he says. The lyrics online are wrong. 

52 minutes ago, Trotsky said:

The part of When I Come Around where he says "Sell donuts at my door." Yes, that's what he says. The lyrics online are wrong. 

OMG! LMAO!! That's too funny! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

1 hour ago, thatdude03 said:

I've got my best Green Day lyrics that bothers the crap out of me, and I can't ever understand it no matter how many times I look it up and read it.  

The song is "Suffocate"  

What I hear is "Chocolate Flys and ample thighs..."  when in reality he is saying "drop like flys and empathize.  I love this song but after 14 years the lyrics are just plain hard to understand.  Come to think of it, a lot of the Shenanigans lyrics are a bit hard to understand, at least for me.  Most other Green Day albums I know word for word but this one has some weird ones.  

Rotting is another one I can never get right.  

In my fist I clutch?  What? 

20 pounds of trust?  Huh? 

Wipe off my sweat? Gross

T-waaaah?  

?????? I agree....What the......wha??

On 6/26/2013 at 4:37 PM, Jon Benjamin said:

Transistors Gone Wild "my brain is melting and it smells like a volcano" I thought I made part of that line up in my head with the melody and just thought of it a lot but I relistened. What the actual fuck?

That song has some shared lyrics with American Idiot, so there's that.  You're telling me your brain never smells like a volcano when it melts?   

Speaking of "sell doughnuts at my door", the words "hollow lies" that Billie slurs in Holiday don't sound like that at all, it sounds like "whole arise", which of course, doesn't make sense.

Hubby calls WICA the whittle ice song because he swears that the "and dry your whining eyes" line is "try to whittle ice".  It is pretty hard to disagree with him.  

9 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

By the way, am I the only one who finds WICA difficult to understand? I do have a problem with it. 

Only parts of it, like the whittle ice part.  But the verse that has "So go do what you like............"  I find perfectly clear   

4 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Only parts of it, like the whittle ice part.  But the verse that has "So go do what you like............"  I find perfectly clear   

True! That verse and chorus are ok.

2 hours ago, thatdude03 said:

That song has some shared lyrics with American Idiot, so there's that.  You're telling me your brain never smells like a volcano when it melts?   

Shared lyrics? I know it says murder city

5 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

By the way, am I the only one who finds WICA difficult to understand? I do have a problem with it. 

Yep parts I do but it is still my favourite.  

On 01.02.2016 at 1:51 AM, thatdude03 said:

T-waaaah?  

I think Do Da Da might be about proposing? This and chorus basically he wants to say "Marry me" to someone

17 hours ago, Jon Benjamin said:

Shared lyrics? I know it says murder city

Television dreams of tomorrow

Television, Murder City dreaming of tomorrow

Make believe appears in it and Jesus of Suburbia as well.    

6 hours ago, Private Ale. said:

I think Do Da Da might be about proposing? This and chorus basically he wants to say "Marry me" to someone

Ahh someone else who picks up a marriage vibe! It's hard to tell but I've always thought it's about marriage, a dark/cynical look at it. "Waste with me into nothing, well now you're stuck with me", "Handcuff [I think it's that rather than hand up, not sure as there's no official lyrics] your soul to my wrist and I'll vow my trust to you" etc, it's like now we're married so you're stuck with me and all my faults until we waste away together.

I never really fully understood the relation between the two verses in 80, but maybe someone on here can confirm.

I do know that Billie calls Adrienne 80 so the first verse is clear. But the second verse seems to be referring to something else. I remember once reading somewhere there is or was a beer brand with the name 80? That 2nd verse doesn't sound like it's about Adrienne, unless she makes him spew his guts out to the open air..

38 minutes ago, Sixtrix said:

I never really fully understood the relation between the two verses in 80, but maybe someone on here can confirm.

I do know that Billie calls Adrienne 80 so the first verse is clear. But the second verse seems to be referring to something else. I remember once reading somewhere there is or was a beer brand with the name 80? That 2nd verse doesn't sound like it's about Adrienne, unless she makes him spew his guts out to the open air..

In fact the first verse is about his beloved beer while the second is about 80 the person. People, just like beer can sometimes make you spew out your guts to the open air. He's talking about his two favorite things and finds they have a lot in common.

5 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

In fact the first verse is about his beloved beer while the second is about 80 the person. People, just like beer can sometimes make you spew out your guts to the open air. He's talking about his two favorite things and finds they have a lot in common.

But he does mention in the first verse "Not as long as there are girls like you"

44 minutes ago, Sixtrix said:

I think the whole song is his stuggle with his feelings for her.  He knows he is falling hard, but is having a hard time with feelings he hasn't really felt for so he is questioning them.  That particular paragraph I think he is wondering whether he really should be with anyone at all: "Maybe I should be alone", "No one wants to be with a drunken fool" 

6 minutes ago, Sixtrix said:

But he does mention in the first verse "Not as long as there are girls like you"

That's a cover-up. He clearly meant beers. 

I think the song is about being madly in love with somebody and not being sure if the relationship will work out. 

6 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

That's a cover-up. He clearly meant beers. 

I think the song is about being madly in love with somebody and not being sure if the relationship will work out. 

I slightly disagree.  I don't think the song is about whether the relationship will work but whether he is capable of having a relationship like that 

3 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

I slightly disagree.  I don't think the song is about whether the relationship will work but whether he is capable of having a relationship like that 

Now I read it because it's been a while since I listened to it and I must admit I wasn't 100% right. It's more about self-doubt in a relationship. He's anxious about not being good enough. 

Archived