Lyrics That Still Make No Sense to You

Anaïs.

Ok so on "Maria", he starts with "she smashed the radio with the board of education"... 

What does that even mean? I've thought about it so much, I can't think what could that mean. Especially since "Maria" is supposed to represent good in the world that always disappears mysteriously. Someone help me out please

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so on "Maria", he starts with "she smashed the radio with the board of education"... 

What does that even mean? I've thought about it so much, I can't think what could that mean. Especially since "Maria" is supposed to represent good in the world that always disappears mysteriously. Someone help me out please

Or Maria is representing punk - ie Maria = punk.

yeah but why did she use the board of education to smash the radio?  :D

I think Maria might equal punk, but yeah like you say this line still doesn't make sense 

yeah but why did she use the board of education to smash the radio?  :D

I think Maria might equal punk, but yeah like you say this line still doesn't make sense 

I actually think the line is supposed to indicate being anti-establishment.  She smashed the radio, (meaning changing what we hear) with the board of education (the establishment)  She has taken what she has learned her life and tried to change things.  I look at the whole song as asking where did the people go that want to change things?  There are more people wanting to make excuses than actually make changes.  Maria represents the person trying to change things, thus where did Maria go.   

Basically most Green Day lyrics are too abstract for me to try to understand.

Really? I think they're pretty direct compared to a lot of bands. A little bit of imagery and metaphor but nothing that abstract.

I actually think the line is supposed to indicate being anti-establishment.  She smashed the radio, (meaning changing what we hear) with the board of education (the establishment)  She has taken what she has learned her life and tried to change things.  I look at the whole song as asking where did the people go that want to change things?  There are more people wanting to make excuses than actually make changes.  Maria represents the person trying to change things, thus where did Maria go.   

I agree with this interpretation. Additionally, I've heard those paddle things they used to hit kids in American schools with referred to jokingly as a "board of education" before. Could be what she's meant to be smashing the radio with (representing smashing the establishment like you describe).

Really? I think they're pretty direct compared to a lot of bands. A little bit of imagery and metaphor but nothing that abstract.

I agree with this interpretation. Additionally, I've heard those paddle things they used to hit kids in American schools with referred to jokingly as a "board of education" before. Could be what she's meant to be smashing the radio with.

I've actually never heard that term before for the paddles.  They were not used during my school days, that was quite some time ago, so not sure that is what Billie meant unless it was a term he learned from his mother.  

I agree that GD lyrics are direct, which is one of the reasons I think people can relate to them so well.  GD lyrics usually relate to things we can relate to in our daily lives (Longview - lonliness, Brain Stew - Insomnia, etc).  That is another reason why I love them so much.   

I never understood the meaning of the song too much too son and favorite son, and I'm not sure about Dramma Queen, other songs of Green Day are pretty easy to understand. "Everyone's Drama Queen, Is old enough to bleed now" It sounds like a reference to the personal development of a daughter, family or something, but I'm not entirely sure.

What's this "tattoos and memories and dead skin on trial" shit? That's never made any sense to me.

It refers to physical wear, seeking a goal, and skin marks and scars left during the process.

sorry if my English is not good, is not my language.

It refers to physical wear, seeking a goal, and skin marks and scars left during the process.

Ah okay. That makes sense, but it's still written in a profoundly stupid way. :P

Don't worry man, your English is fine! :)

I don't agree with this interpretation because it does not fit the concept of the song.  The song is not about seeking a goal but the end of a relationship and what we can learn from our experiences in life.  Dead skin flakes off, but the tattoo will remain.  So we will have certain experiences in life but our memories and what we learn from them will remain.

And I agree, your english is fine.

I don't agree with this interpretation because it does not fit the concept of the song.  The song is not about seeking a goal but the end of a relationship and what we can learn from our experiences in life.  Dead skin flakes off, but the tattoo will remain.  So we will have certain experiences in life but our memories and what we learn from them will remain.

And I agree, your english is fine.

True, the song does not talk about the search for a goal, what I said was only an example, the phrase "tattoos and memories and dead skin on trial" refers specifically to skin tags that reflect a memory, what which means that experiences are recorded in the skin so mean, it's what i try to say.

Billie Joe uses simple words to explain complex concepts, particularly for this song I think is necessary to fill the lyrics with our own experiences, so that the song has depth :)

I've actually never heard that term before for the paddles.  They were not used during my school days, that was quite some time ago, so not sure that is what Billie meant unless it was a term he learned from his mother.  

I agree that GD lyrics are direct, which is one of the reasons I think people can relate to them so well.  GD lyrics usually relate to things we can relate to in our daily lives (Longview - lonliness, Brain Stew - Insomnia, etc).  That is another reason why I love them so much.   

I think they're still known of because of college fraternities using them in hazing rituals and stuff, I've seen them and heard that term from silly 70's/80's college based films, TV shows etc, so I guess he could know of it from there too. Could just be totally metaphorical smashing though.

And I totally agree!

American schools were way more brutal than I knew :D

Also, this thread reminded me of how I couldn't get Hitchin' A Ride. It took maybe a year till I figured out the first verse. I was 12, for the record.

• 1 month later...

I never understood the meaning of the song too much too son and favorite son, and I'm not sure about Dramma Queen, other songs of Green Day are pretty easy to understand. "Everyone's Drama Queen, Is old enough to bleed now" It sounds like a reference to the personal development of a daughter, family or something, but I'm not entirely sure.

Favourite Son is about George Bush I believe (did he ever come directly out and say that anyone?) and is heavily sarcastic. As for Drama Queen...yeah that one is pretty cringe worthy :lol:

Favourite Son is about George Bush I believe (did he ever come directly out and say that anyone?) and is heavily sarcastic. As for Drama Queen...yeah that one is pretty cringe worthy :lol:

Even if he didn't write it thinking of Bush, when they put it in Rock Against Bush it was pretty clear :P I don't know if he said it in any interview or similar, but that move shows quite obviously who it's referring to. 

Even if he didn't write it thinking of Bush, when they put it in Rock Against Bush it was pretty clear :P I don't know if he said it in any interview or similar, but that move shows quite obviously who it's referring to. 

I actually forgot it was on Rock Against Bush :P I always found it really obvious that it was intended to be about Bush though just by the lyrics and when it came out. I love that song BTW :) 

"Sex, drugs and violence! English, math and science!" Will always be some of the most cringe-worthy Green Day lyrics that I'll never quite understand. Is it supposed to mean that sex, drugs and violence are as easy to some as English, math and science? Either way, I've never cared for that line.

Just about any of the lyrics to Oh Love make very little sense to me.

"Sex, drugs and violence! English, math and science!" Will always be some of the most cringe-worthy Green Day lyrics that I'll never quite understand. Is it supposed to mean that sex, drugs and violence are as easy to some as English, math and science? Either way, I've never cared for that line.

Just about any of the lyrics to Oh Love make very little sense to me.

I actually think he was just trying to rhyme with violence and came up with science.  

In general I always thought Oh Love was about unrequited love. 

I actually think he was just trying to rhyme with violence and came up with science.  

In general I always thought Oh Love was about unrequited love. 

I do enjoy Oh Love just the entire verse that starts with "Oh lights and action" never really made a whole lot of sense to me.

I think that's what it means (comparing those life experiences that are fundamental to some people to the fundamental building blocks of learning). In which case I don't really see why it's considered cringeworthy :P, makes sense just fine.

I think that's what it means (comparing those life experiences that are fundamental to some people to the fundamental building blocks of learning). In which case I don't really see why it's considered cringeworthy :P, makes sense just fine.

I love to think that Billie writes his lyrics with your interpretations in mind.

Archived