Lyrics That Still Make No Sense to You

Anaïs.

"Wake up the house is on fire, And the cats caught in the dryer"

Dead Beat Holiday - Warning

Billie's cat is stuck inside a dryer ( as in for clothes)

It's Just a fucked up kind of day

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to a whore he said my lifes a bore so quit my whining cause in bringing her down" I still dont get why it goes from being a he to a she...

I went to a whore. HE said my life is a bore. so quit my whining cause it's bringing HER down.

maybe he was too high while they were recording. :P

I went to a whore. HE said my life is a bore. so quit my whining cause it's bringing HER down.

Maybe it's a reference to the song of Cheap Trick - He's A Whore.

Billie has said that he intentionally wanted to convey ambiguity with this lyric.

I always thought the implication was it was just a male whore, who was referring to a female in BJ's life. As in, like the whore is telling Billie that his life is boring, and that's affecting Adie.

I always thought the implication was it was just a male whore, who was referring to a female in BJ's life. As in, like the whore is telling Billie that his life is boring, and that's affecting Adie.

Apparently, and of course I forget where I read it, it is supposed to be a reference to bisexuality.

This from Viva La Gloria:

"You made your bed in salad days amongst the ruins"

Salad? What?

Salad? What?

This one has been discussed a few pages back, but "salad days" refers to an earlier time when things were good.

Hah, I like the explanation of the line in Basket Case that it's intentional to convey ambiguity much more than my own explanation. I just thought that he went to a whore who said his life's a bore and then it went back to the shrink where the storyteller had to stop whining because it's bringing the shrink down :lol: But I like ambiguity and intentional confusion much better!

I think that's the meaning he's trying to convey, but the Grammar Nazi inside me would be happier with one nation from which I stand alone, but that wouldn't fit the melody!

Isn't "a nation thereof which I stand alone" grammatically correct?
Actual question.

Hah, I like the explanation of the line in Basket Case that it's intentional to convey ambiguity much more than my own explanation. I just thought that he went to a whore who said his life's a bore and then it went back to the shrink where the storyteller had to stop whining because it's bringing the shrink down :lol: But I like ambiguity and intentional confusion much better!

Actual question.

I don't think so. You can stand alone from something, but not of something. A nation from which I stand alone is right, but it still sounds a bit weird. Apart would be a better word than alone. The there doesn't make any sense to me.

Actual question.

Yeah, it is. "Underdog" throws it out a bit but it still makes sense once you get your head around it. Only took me 9 years to work it out :P

• 2 months later...

Salad? What?

As there was said in previous days, "salad days" is expression for glory days.

I really take offence to "N" word. sorry.

I don't care though. So I guess it isn't exactly a win-win, but you might take solace in the fact that not only did I not create the picture, but that it in fact has no racial connotations whatsoever beyond that word! Hooray!

Wo..which lyrics?

"Oh shit nigger, I've got some scattered pictures on my floor"

"Oh shit nigger, I fucked up again it's all my fault"

"Oh shit nigger, why did you have to leave so soon"

"Oh shit nigger, I've got some scattered pictures on my floor"

"Oh shit nigger, I fucked up again it's all my fault"

"Oh shit nigger, why did you have to leave so soon"

Oh shit nigger, welcome to the new kind of tension.

Oh shit nigger, I remember the face but I can't recall the name.

Oh shit nigger, did you wake up late one day?

• 2 months later...

Bringin' it back—does anyone have any idea what kind of theme Billie could possibly have been trying to convey with the "red lights flash" line throughout the Trilogy? (And on the "That's All Right" cover, for that matter.)

Bringin' it back—does anyone have any idea what kind of theme Billie could possibly have been trying to convey with the "red lights flash" line throughout the Trilogy? (And on the "That's All Right" cover, for that matter.)

Simple prostitute reference in line with the debauchery theme of Dos, I would have thought. *cringe*

You're supposed to 'stop when the red lights (traffic lights) flash' (not that traffic lights flash) coz it's the law, but by saying DON'T stop when the red lights flash, he's telling you to go all crazy and be reckless, in line with the theme of dos.

And yes, I did just pull that out of my arse!

Archived