Lyrics That Still Make No Sense to You

Anaïs.

So he's questioning himself how to combine both his love for the girl and the beer, or if he should combine them at all?

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Now I read it because it's been a while since I listened to it and I must admit I wasn't 100% right. It's more about self-doubt in a relationship. He's anxious about not being good enough. 

That is exactly my interpretation as well.

3 hours ago, Sixtrix said:

So he's questioning himself how to combine both his love for the girl and the beer, or if he should combine them at all?

It's not precisely what he's saying but you can interpret it that way. 

1 hour ago, st_trillie said:

It was definitely about the beer because he was dating Erica at the time he wrote 80. ;)

...true 

I can't say anything but CHEERS! 80-shilling_0.png

• 2 weeks later...

"Hey!
I like your BMW
I like your BM-excellent tits
With a tattoo of a pig sniffing glue

Hey!
You're living at the W
You're looking like a Jezebel, hot as hell
Sunburned in a pink bathing suit"

So obviously these are some of Billie's finest lyrics. I've always wondered who the hot Jezebel who lives at the W with the excellent tits, sunburn and BMW is and why on earth she has a tattoo of a pig sniffing glue? Mostly how has Billie discovered all this info about said Jezebel 

"When I'm sitting at the traffic light" 

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Some deliberately ridiculous lyrics which conjure up a deliberately ridiculous image, with a silly play on words thrown in. Seems pretty straightforward to me!

8 hours ago, Hermione said:

Some deliberately ridiculous lyrics which conjure up a deliberately ridiculous image, with a silly play on words thrown in. Seems pretty straightforward to me!

Certainly ridiculous lyrics though I doubt that was deliberate :lol: 

Ok so even if we accept that the Jezebel is sitting in the BMW at the traffic lights, wearing her pink bathing suit, sunburned with her excellent tits clearly visible and her tattoo of a pig sniffing glue also clearly visible what I don't understand is how Billie figured out by sitting at the traffic lights, nearly having a heart attack, that she lives at the W :lol: See now there's just more to that...#stalker :lol:

5 hours ago, st_trillie said:

Certainly ridiculous lyrics though I doubt that was deliberate :lol: 

Ok so even if we accept that the Jezebel is sitting in the BMW at the traffic lights, wearing her pink bathing suit, sunburned with her excellent tits clearly visible and her tattoo of a pig sniffing glue also clearly visible what I don't understand is how Billie figured out by sitting at the traffic lights, nearly having a heart attack, that she lives at the W :lol: See now there's just more to that...#stalker :lol:

You think they're supposed to be profound, deeply meaningful lyrics? :P They're obviously supposed to be over the top and absurd. None of that stuff needs to be worked out because it's not meant to be taken seriously or literally, it's just a silly, exaggerated image of this "troublemaker" guy admiring this girl at the traffic lights. Of course these lyrics stand out because of their silliness but since they're intended to be that way I can't see them as not making sense.

I think we can all pretty much agree that the lyrics to Troublemaker are not one of Billie's finest achievements.  However, I agree with Hermione, the are supposed to be over the top.  I think he is trying to set up a fantasy type situation.  Similar to the Vacation movies where Christie Brinkley pulls up to Chevy Chase in the car and Chevy Chase gets all these wild fantasies.  He is this dorky guy seeing all these girls and fantasizing about them.  Remember the chorus isn't I'm a troublemaker, it's Wanna be a troublemaker.

8 hours ago, Hermione said:

You think they're supposed to be profound, deeply meaningful lyrics? :P They're obviously supposed to be over the top and absurd. None of that stuff needs to be worked out

Shh...you're ruining all the fun :lol:

Having observed the lengths people on here are willing to go to I was at least hoping to see someone with google earth screenshots showing the nearest traffic lights to the W and how Billie may have seen the "Jezebel" turning at an intersection to enter a parking lot etc :lol::D 

You're no fun ;):lol:

I don't understand what he meant when he said: "He fell into the city by the bay" (on Misery) , and that bugs me, since it's the climax of the paragraph.

6 minutes ago, WhoPutTheDragInDragQueen? said:

I don't understand what he meant when he said: "He fell into the city by the bay" (on Misery) , and that bugs me, since it's the climax of the paragraph.

The City by the Bay is San Francisco.  The Haight is a section of San Francisco known for being one of the places the hippie culture started.  So, I read that whole paragraph as Mr. Whirly gave up his life and became a hippie living on the streets.

3 hours ago, WhoPutTheDragInDragQueen? said:

3 hours ago, JJ1964 said:

The City by the Bay is San Francisco.  The Haight is a section of San Francisco known for being one of the places the hippie culture started.  So, I read that whole paragraph as Mr. Whirly gave up his life and became a hippie living on the streets.

You may already know this but Mr Whirly is an actual real person. Cometbus wrote about him a few times. ;)

9 hours ago, st_trillie said:

You may already know this but Mr Whirly is an actual real person. Cometbus wrote about him a few times. ;)

I didn't. Thanks for telling me.

9 hours ago, st_trillie said:

Would you a mind telling us more? I don't know the story either.

On 2/25/2016 at 10:11 AM, Jane Lannister said:

Would you a mind telling us more? I don't know the story either.

Aaron has written about one million Cometbus zines, novels, poems and writes for a bunch of papers etc under pseudonyms and I'm a junkie for his writing so unfortunately despite my best efforts to remember which books I read the mentions of Mr Whirly in I couldn't find the damn extracts. I believe it's from his "Berkeley Scene Report" sections that he regularly included in his zines back in the 80's and 90's. The scene reports would include mentions of slightly wacky individuals which is how Mr Whirly got mentioned. He explained how he got his name though I've forgotten and I think it was him who lay down in front of a fire engine trying to get to a hydrant during an emergency in protest of something ridiculous. In general he was just a wacky homeless hippie who didn't really have a purpose or direction in life. Aaron loved wacky but not hippie :lol: If I find the exact reference I'll post it. ;)

Just now, jumpsalty said:

I thought Mr Whirly was a reference to The Replacements song of the same name?

The lyrics to The Replacements song are

Mr. Whirly
Please don't call me
I've been drinkin' alone
Whirly
Please don't follow me home

Mr. Whirly
Please don't call me
I've been waitin' at the CC
Whirly
Surely you know by now

Come on, Whirly
Whoooo
Go on baby
You're cool
Shake it around

1, 2, 3 strikes
And you are
I said you're the

Billie may love The Replacements but those lyrics are totally unrelated to the character or indeed anything to do with Misery so why randomly choose to use a reference to it. Whereas Mr Whirly is/was an actual real wacky hippie who lived in the bay area during the 90's who Aaron Cometbus wrote about and probably still lived in the 2000's when Billie wrote this song. Obviously Green Day fans who know The Replacements tried to figure out where the name Mr Whirly came from and made the connection themselves. If Green Day fans read Cometbus they would be surprised how much they'd discover ;)

30 minutes ago, st_trillie said:

The lyrics to The Replacements song are

Mr. Whirly
Please don't call me
I've been drinkin' alone
Whirly
Please don't follow me home

Mr. Whirly
Please don't call me
I've been waitin' at the CC
Whirly
Surely you know by now

Come on, Whirly
Whoooo
Go on baby
You're cool
Shake it around

1, 2, 3 strikes
And you are
I said you're the

Billie may love The Replacements but those lyrics are totally unrelated to the character or indeed anything to do with Misery so why randomly choose to use a reference to it. Whereas Mr Whirly is/was an actual real wacky hippie who lived in the bay area during the 90's who Aaron Cometbus wrote about and probably still lived in the 2000's when Billie wrote this song. Obviously Green Day fans who know The Replacements tried to figure out where the name Mr Whirly came from and made the connection themselves. If Green Day fans read Cometbus they would be surprised how much they'd discover ;)

Oh I know about Aaron Cometbus, just definitely remember the connection being made from Billie himself at some point. Hmmm. 

6 minutes ago, jumpsalty said:

Oh I know about Aaron Cometbus, just definitely remember the connection being made from Billie himself at some point. Hmmm. 

I don't have recall Billie ever directly saying where the name came from nor do I see why he would ever be asked about two words, one name on an entire album of songs. It would also be a ridiculously incredible coincidence that he choose this one song title by a band he loves that also happens to be the name of a real person who has enough impact in the bay area (by being excessively wacky etc) to be written about by a close friend and bandmate of Billie's. Also the Mr Whirly described in Misery just so happens to have a life that mirrors the real Mr Whirly Cometbus wrote about.

Could be the fact Mr Whirly is also a Replacements song made the idea of mentioning Mr Whirly (as opposed to maybe another wacky guy from the local area) more attractive to him, so that he'd associate it with both things. It's describing the real guy but also means he gets to make a Replacements reference of sorts, that easily could have been a factor in choosing to write it.

Archived