Lyrics That Still Make No Sense to You

Anaïs.

As someone has already mentioned on here, the line "What the fuck does OK stand for?" in DRB. It is like nails down a blackboard for me, I don't know why it infuriates me so much but it does!!!! It has no relevance to the other lyrics around it!

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You made your bed in salad days amongst the ruins." Gaaaah. I mean, I get what it means, but it's such a fucking STUPID phrase, it kills that whole verse for me. The delivery doesn't help, as it makes it sound like "You made your bed in salad, days amongst the ruins." What is Gloria, a fucking tomato?

"You made your bed in salad days amongst the ruins." Gaaaah. I mean, I get what it means, but it's such a fucking STUPID phrase, it kills that whole verse for me. The delivery doesn't help, as it makes it sound like "You made your bed in salad, days amongst the ruins." What is Gloria, a fucking tomato?

Thank you for enlightening me, I'd never actually heard that phrase divided that way before :lol:

As someone has already mentioned on here, the line "What the fuck does OK stand for?" in DRB. It is like nails down a blackboard for me, I don't know why it infuriates me so much but it does!!!! It has no relevance to the other lyrics around it!

"When the afterlife is something worth dying for" is the end of that couplet/ idea. It's basically saying what does it mean to be okay when even when your dead people say that that person is Okay in a better afterlife.

It's just saying that the most common lie people say is that they are "ok" even though they are dying (figuratively or literally)

What actually is a Salad Day?

It doesn't sound like something I would like.

What actually is a Salad Day?

It doesn't sound like something I would like.

It refers to an innocent time in someone's youth when they were enthusiastic, naive and idealistic. It's from Shakespeare originally, Cleopatra refers to her "salad days, when I was green in judgement, cold in blood."

So it's pretty weird and still doesn't really make sense, but that's where it's from.

The line in No Pride fucks with me.

"To hell with unity, separation will kill us all."

It's contradictory, and I guess it means he wants to die?

He wants to die, as a result of not having pride?

FUCK IT

What I think he is saying here is that society or a group of people are saying to hell with unity i'm gonna do whatever the hell I want. And he thinks that separating will 'kill' us all, and we should stick together and stay unified as a society.

that one lyric from Drama Queen "Everyone's drama queen, is old enough to bleed now." seriously when I first heard the song it made me feel mega uncomfortable >.<

Everyone really hates this line. I see it as saying that this person has hit a point in their life where they now have the ability to feel pain not physical but emotional. When you were a kid you were naive and brushed things off, like if someone called you fat you cried for five minutes then you were happy again. But there is this point in your life where you start to feel depression and deep sadness, where it can bring you down for months. I thinks thats what this line is saying, that she is finally old enough to feel emotional pain.

There are a lot of things that never made much sense to me, mostly because there are certain terms Billie uses that I've never heard of, since English isn't my first language and I've never really tried to understand most of them, as silly as it may sound. But I'm learning a lot from this thread! :D

What I think he is saying here is that society or a group of people are saying to hell with unity i'm gonna do whatever the hell I want. And he thinks that separating will 'kill' us all, and we should stick together and stay unified as a society.

Everyone really hates this line. I see it as saying that this person has hit a point in their life where they now have the ability to feel pain not physical but emotional. When you were a kid you were naive and brushed things off, like if someone called you fat you cried for five minutes then you were happy again. But there is this point in your life where you start to feel depression and deep sadness, where it can bring you down for months. I thinks thats what this line is saying, that she is finally old enough to feel emotional pain.

The line in No Pride makes a lot more as two separate statements. One person saying to hell with unity but the other knows separation will kill us all. As for the line in Drama Queen everyone thinking that it refers to her period or something is kind of dumb. I think it's figuratively or a metaphor not a literal statement on her blood.

Oh love: "don't stop when the red lights flash"

then on i Dos ! : Stop when the red lights flash

:ermm::P

And don't forget the "stop when the red lights flash baby" thrown in during the cover of "That's Alright Mama". :lol:

It refers to an innocent time in someone's youth when they were enthusiastic, naive and idealistic. It's from Shakespeare originally, Cleopatra refers to her "salad days, when I was green in judgement, cold in blood."

So it's pretty weird and still doesn't really make sense, but that's where it's from.

So the line is basically saying that Gloria made her bed when she was young and naive, amongst some random ruins.

Makes sense.

And don't forget the "stop when the red lights flash baby" thrown in during the cover of "That's Alright Mama". :lol:

Isn't there something about red lights flashing somewhere on Tre? Something makes me think it's on DRB, but I'm not sure.

Isn't there something about red lights flashing somewhere on Tre? Something makes me think it's on DRB, but I'm not sure.

Yes it is on DRB: "Dust to dust when the red light flashes."

I don't know if this has been posted yet BUT Pasalacqua is a real place, in fact it is a funeral chapel in california (passalacqua tho) so, the song is clearly talking about love, but to me it's like he looks at it as a "bad" thing that will lead him to "dead" and make him suffer. (not literally of course but you understand), and of course it is a real view of teenage love.

" I'm not sure exactly what you're thinking

Well,I toss and turn all night
Thinking of your ways of effection

But to find that it's not different at all "

I don't know, it always amazes me how you can learn lot of things or facts about stuff, like in this last interview they mentioned about X-Kids which is a real thing, the generation X (kids that were born between the 60's and 80's after the western post-world war II.) ​before that i thought it was a metaphor created by them.

Well, Green Day always teaching me things :lol::lol:

One thing i want to know is Floyd (bj's guitar) named after Pretty Boy Floyd? since that's a Bob Dylan's song and i have realized Billie is a well-versed man.. :happy:

So the line is basically saying that Gloria made her bed when she was young and naive, amongst some random ruins.

Makes sense.

Way to interpret things figuratively. No wonder you don't understand it.

Way to interpret things figuratively. No wonder you don't understand it.

Well done on getting the joke.

Jokes are supposed to be funny.

Sorry, I'll make my jokes more suitable to your sense of humour next time :)

By the way, that was a joke :)

as the whole song is a song against national pride it's not so much about individualist seperation it's more about the separation through countrys.

it already becomes clear in the frist verses:

"i am just a mutt

and nowhere is my home".

and then:

"Sects of disconnection

And traditions of lost faith

No culture's worth a stream of piss

Or a bullet in my face"

those verses are describing how nationalistic ideas, speration through religion and culture lead to war. and billie is rejecting national pride, saying he can't identify with that and it's nothing worth to die for. that this seperation from each other will kill us all, because it is leading to that hate and war.

the song is like a more aggresive, less idealistic endorsement to "imagine" by john lennon.

this is maybe my favourite green day song ever. the lyrics are incredible awesome and i wish more people would actualy understand the meaning behind it.

"Wake up the house is on fire, And the cats caught in the dryer"

Dead Beat Holiday - Warning

Billie's cat got caught in the dryer and died

Purely from a grammatical point of view: 'One nation underdog there of which I stand alone'. You can't stand alone 'of' something. You just can't. And what is that 'there' doing there?

Purely from a grammatical point of view: 'One nation underdog there of which I stand alone'. You can't stand alone 'of' something. You just can't. And what is that 'there' doing there?

Maybe it's just "thereof"? Makes more sense anyway. And though I don't quite know the nuance of the word thereof, it seems grammatically correct to me.

Maybe it's just "thereof"? Makes more sense anyway. And though I don't quite know the nuance of the word thereof, it seems grammatically correct to me.

Interesting, I'd never thought of it like that. I'm just trying to get my head around it now.

One nation underdog thereof which I stand alone... So he's standing alone from the rest of the nation, probably morally. Hence being the minority. I've been trying to make sense of that for years, no idea why I never looked at it like that!

It's still a terribly clunky lyric and was clearly written that way just so it would scan properly. Still, swapping "god" for "dog" was utterly brilliant.

I think that's the meaning he's trying to convey, but the Grammar Nazi inside me would be happier with one nation from which I stand alone, but that wouldn't fit the melody!

I think that's the meaning he's trying to convey, but the Grammar Nazi inside me would be happier with one nation from which I stand alone, but that wouldn't fit the melody!

Standards of grammar can't, won't and shouldn't ever be the same in lyrics or poetry as they would be in prose because poetic license applies. Try to find a song or poem where the grammar is "perfect" as it would be in an essay, you'll have a tough time finding one!

Archived