Lyrics That Still Make No Sense to You

Anaïs.

As we all know, there are many Green Day songs that have nigh-perfect lyrics; songs that speak to us, that we can relate to, that tell a unique story very well.

And then...there's the word salad stuff.

So, I'm asking you guys: what Green Day lyrics still mean absolutely nothing coherent to you? Who knows, maybe we can figure out what they mean together. :P For myself, I still have no idea what in God's name Billie is trying to say in "Restless Heart Syndrome" when he asks "Is what ails you what impales you?" I'm sure he's trying to be deep and maybe throw in some crucifixion imagery, but it just comes off as an instance of what TV Tropes calls "Meaningless Meaningful Words". A lot of the trilogy is less this and more "Word Salad Lyrics"; for instance, "I'm drinking the Kool-Aid/I jumped on the grenade." Seriously, WTF, Billie?

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there are a ton, but I can't think of any right now >.<

well I'll quote some line of Hitchin'a a Ride

"cold turkey is getting stale, tonight i'm eating crow, fermented salmonella poison oak no"

I don't know, maybe it's just a miss translation to portuguese, but to me te end of this sentence makes no sense at all.. i just can guess what Billie was trying to meant

well I'll quote some line of Hitchin'a a Ride

"cold turkey is getting stale, tonight i'm eating crow, fermented salmonella poison oak no"

I don't know, maybe it's just a miss translation to portuguese, but to me te end of this sentence makes no sense at all.. i just can guess what Billie was trying to meant

I think most of that actually kinda makes sense, as it's a song about alcoholism; "cold turkey" refers to his attempts to stop drinking, "fermented salmonella" describes the poison he's imbibing. Poison oak, though... no idea. XD

I think most of that actually kinda makes sense, as it's a song about alcoholism; "cold turkey" refers to his attempts to stop drinking, "fermented salmonella" describes the poison he's imbibing. Poison oak, though... no idea. XD

yeah the first part of the sentence i can understand... but the end i think is the bad sensations on being in a withdrawal, though there's no connection between words..

in other words i think he want to say "I'm tired of trying to quit drinking and I don't want to feel like shit anymore"

"I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, I jumped on the grenade" is actually a great line and I knew nobody on here knew what it meant which is why I decided to join GDC. Drinking the Kool-Aid refers to Jim Jones cult who all drank (flavor-aid actually but it's usually thought to be Kool-Aid) mixed with cyanide and commited suicide. Actually just Wikipedia "Drinking the Kool-Aid". Either way it is a meaningful line and I personally find Wild One to be among the best of the trilogy, especially musically. It sounds so sinister. I don't know how to create a thread but I really think we should have one just for analyzing the trilogy lyrics because they're such a strange collection of songs with little meanings hidden all over. The trilogys actually a pretty revealing work though it's not as deep or clever or even on par with Billies usual writing.

"I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, I jumped on the grenade" is actually a great line and I knew nobody on here knew what it meant which is why I decided to join GDC. Drinking the Kool-Aid refers to Jim Jones cult who all drank (flavor-aid actually but it's usually thought to be Kool-Aid) mixed with cyanide and commited suicide. Actually just Wikipedia "Drinking the Kool-Aid". Either way it is a meaningful line and I personally find Wild One to be among the best of the trilogy, especially musically. It sounds so sinister. I don't know how to create a thread but I really think we should have one just for analyzing the trilogy lyrics because they're such a strange collection of songs with little meanings hidden all over. The trilogys actually a pretty revealing work though it's not as deep or clever or even on par with Billies usual writing.

I know what the Kool-Aid part is referring to. It's the grenade part that makes no bloody sense. As a couplet, it fails; the second line has no relevance to the first.

awesome didn't know that

Chorus to Sex, Drugs and Violence........."English , math & science" just seem like throw away fill in lyrics that happen to rhyme "Safety in numbers, gimme gimme danger" - just

seem like you would be humming and making up random words to sing...... not really thought through, just easy....

I know what the Kool-Aid part is referring to. It's the grenade part that makes no bloody sense. As a couplet, it fails; the second line has no relevance to the first.

It doesn't fail at all. It all leads in the same direction of being out of control.

the Kool-Aid part obviously a reference to the whole suicide aspect and 'Jumped on the grenade' could show sacrificing yourself, or letting go of everything, etc. You get the idea of the direction Billie was headed using this lyric. It's definitely not one of those lyrics which makes no sense what so ever.

I also think "fermented salmonella poison, oh no." Makes more sense than poison oak- maybe Billie just had a bad autocorrect for the liner notes??!

Also I'm kind of over the whole "valentine" thing in GD songs... Never liked that day anyway...... Wow, I really AM grouchy today, must be too hot out!

In Armatage Shanks, I am still not sure what is being sung in the background just at the end of each chorus, so it makes no sense to me.

The entire song of Smells Like Teen Spirit, makes no sense to me whatsoever. People want to say it's a song about teen angst and all of that, but I just don't see it.

Edit: Whoops. I wrote this before I realised it was about GD lyrics.

The entire song of Smells Like Teen Spirit, makes no sense to me whatsoever. People want to say it's a song about teen angst and all of that, but I just don't see it.

I totally agree with you though....

Transistors Gone Wild "my brain is melting and it smells like a volcano" I thought I made part of that line up in my head with the melody and just thought of it a lot but I relistened. What the actual fuck?

Transistors Gone Wild "my brain is melting and it smells like a volcano" I thought I made part of that line up in my head with the melody and just thought of it a lot but I relistened. What the actual fuck?

I love that line :lol: But really, most of the Network's lyrics don't make much sense. The Network as a band doesn't make much sense.. that's why I like it.

There are few trilogy lyrics which i think Billie got super lazy with.

"I searched the moon, i lost my head, i even looked under the bed" :/ come on.

There's some others but i can only think of these:

"She gave up on jesus for living on venus"

"I like your BMW, I like you BM excellent tits"

I was curious if in Drama Queen "she dangles from her necklace" is that a really lazy lyric, or something clever where the person in question is tied to fashion that controls her life rather than the other way round.

If you read the full unused lyrics it makes more sense

I've never been able to figured out what was "Stuck With me" about :/

I mean "I'm not part of your elite, I'm just alright, class structure waving colours, bleeding from my throat"... I just don't get it :P

Guest Trotsky

I think is difficult to understand what is hidden behind each lyric, unless you are Billie Joe Armstrong.

All of Strangeland

djsklfweawrjktlhsjkthheioh IN THE SKYYYYY

dshafherjktsrhtuttqwerqwrerdfsaf MY MIIIIND

jsdkrteruiyuityrefbrejsdfahj LAND OF PEEEEAAACCE

NOW I wahtgjkhsgjkfghrtueuithsdkls FROM

i hate this line and it's probably why i don't like missing you that much. you looked under the bed? is that really the best you can do billie?

agreed. it bugs me

If the drinking Kool-Aid line refers to committing suicide, then to me it was pretty clear that "jumping on a grenade" does so as well. It's a pretty effective and intentional way of committing suicide.

"I like your BMW, I like you BM excellent tits"

I have not spent a lot of time learning the lyrics of the trilogy so... what song is that from? Never heard it but it sounds pretty awful :lol:

There are few trilogy lyrics which i think Billie got super lazy with.

"I searched the moon, i lost my head, i even looked under the bed" :/ come on.

Just about the worst lyric Billie has ever written. It bugged me the first time I heard it and it hasn't stopped bugging me since. It's just bad.

i don't really get most of the lyrics in 'sex, drugs & violence'. maybe i need to listen to it, more.

it's catchy as fuck, but i just don't get it. haha.

I think poison oak is referring to whisky, which is made in oak barrels. And poison oak is also a poisonous plant. I think it's a way of referring to "poisonous" whisky while doing a series of plays on words with "fermented salmonella poison", "poison oak" and "oak no" (instead of oh no).

I think is difficult to understand what is hidden behind each lyric, unless you are Billie Joe Armstrong.

Exactly haha! Definitely fun to try and interpret them though.

Archived