Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The first time you heard Green Day

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Drain Bramaged

Drain Bramaged
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined Jun 16, 2013
  • 21 rep

I went out on a limb and bought Dookie when I was 12 because I heard someone say they were good. Green Day might not be much of a punk rock band anymore, but it's thanks to them that I know about bands like Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion, Bad Brains, Operation Ivy and all the other classic punk bands.

R_Z-Log

R_Z-Log
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Joined Jun 16, 2013
  • 538 rep

I went out on a limb and bought Dookie when I was 12 because I heard someone say they were good. Green Day might not be much of a punk rock band anymore, but it's thanks to them that I know about bands like Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion, Bad Brains, Operation Ivy and all the other classic punk bands.

I love this answer. So many people will be quick to talk about how Green Day aren't punk, or they sold out, or whatever. But in reality, there are a ton of people that may have never discovered "real" punk if not for them! They brought punk to the mainstream public, and that's just another reason they are such an important element of the punk scene.

86Revolutions

86Revolutions
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Joined Jan 23, 2014
  • 9 rep

I heard Green Day for the first time when I was 8, I was sitting in the car and they played Boulevard of Broken Dreams on the radio. That time I had no idea that the same band would change my life some years later :wub:

TommyGun

TommyGun
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2013
  • 30 rep

the first time was probably Boulevard of Broken Dreams on the radio

but a few years later, when i was older i heard a song on the radio and thought "OMG"

that was a great moment

Oxymore

Oxymore
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2013
  • 1,961 rep

Boulevard of broken dreams on the radio.

Immediately loved it.

JOE THE X-KID

JOE THE X-KID
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2013
  • 1,087 rep
It's weird how if it wasnt for Green Day I wouldn't have found The Everly Brothers

21guns&novacaine

21guns&novacaine
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2013
  • 12 rep
Man, this feels like forever ago, ok um... It was 2010. I was ten. And my older sister who was seventeen at the time had her boyfriend move in with us until he got an job, so on and so fourth.
He was around twenty or so and came from Minnesota.
He brought out his PS1, yes its an old console. All these games and his big cd collection.
One night we were all hanging out and he was showing us his CDs. He put in one and was Fangirling over this one song saying how it had won an Grammy and whatnot. It was an song that actually hit pretty close to home even though I was an totally happy person yhen. It was Boilevard of Broken Dreams.
An few days after that we were playing PS1. An game called Tomb Raider. The first one that came out in 1996. (now you know why I love it so)
There was this really hard level he kept failing over and over so he said "Maybe I can do it if I turn on music"
So he turned on ¡Viva La Gloria! And I secretly loved that one too, and would you belive that he got through that level on the first try after that?
The following week I'd heard Minority, Know Your Enemy and 21 Guns somewhere in there. I don't remember listening to it but... Yeah
So he ended up breaking up with my sister and going back to Minnesota. Everything crumbled from then, she moved out and I didn't see her for weeks.
But one night I got back from some social stuff in town (I live in the middle of nowhere btw)
I turned on the tv and there was nothing on, except for an Green Day concert movie. So it clucked and I turned it on. Not really paying attention because I was drawing. Until... This one song came on. It sounded so familiar and I loved it. Yhe guide said that it was on an album calked 21st Century Breakdown.
So the next day I got on YouTube and commenced my search.
I looked up the full album and picked through the songs until I landed smack dap on the very memorable chorus. It was called 21 Guns.
The rest is really history.
Warning was the first Green Day album I bought Because I always shop at Walmart And it's an rare occasion that my parents go to Target.
So yeah, the follow ups to that one was American Idiot, Dookie, international Superhits!¡UNO!, ¡Dos! ¡Tr'e! Shenanigans, Insomniac, Nimrod and finally 21st Century Breakdown when I just ordered it online.
I haven't bought Kerplunk yet, but the songs that Ive heard from it are really good.
Anyways, that's my story. And my sister can't stand Green Day now after that breakup. Oh well, that music is my life,

beejeezee

beejeezee
  • Billie Joe's Bitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,643 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2010
  • 4,841 rep

Green Day are as punk as punk gets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users