Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The first time you heard Green Day

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

retid

retid
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 33 rep
I was around 5 years old, my sister would give me a ride to school everyday and she would blast Dookie on the way.. I remember being obsessed with the album cover and always staring at it. And then my cousin gave me Kerplunk and I was hooked...
  • beejeezee likes this

beejeezee

beejeezee
  • Billie Joe's Bitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,643 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2010
  • 4,859 rep

Dookie, when I was like 3. I loved it because the album had dookie on it.

baby it's a blow out

baby it's a blow out
  • jesus christ supermarket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2005
  • 1,233 rep

i remember hearing good riddance when i was like, 7. and i really wanted the single - so my dad bought it for me.

then it kinda went away, and i remember i was at my grandma's house and the video clip for warning came on this show called video hits we have here.

ever since then it was looove. but american idiot really got me into them because i was old enough to understand lyrics and actually feel something when i heard their music.

Pieces of Truth

Pieces of Truth
  • I am a mountain, I am the sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • Joined Aug 04, 2012
  • 2,017 rep
21st century breakdown (the song) in 5th grade in the summer of 2009 :lol:
I only discovered Green Day and this whole music genre because this song was in the German Top 100 at that time so thank god

and remembered most of the words in some childish babbling that suddenly turned into english!

I looooove when I randomly hear a song (like... on the radio) that I've last heard beofre I was able to speak English and suddenly understand everything :happy: It's a proof of what you've achieved language-skills-wise over the last few years so that's quite satisfying

Laly

Laly
  • Moving Target

• 13,957 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2009
  • 15,257 rep

The first time I heard them was back in 2006 on the radio (when I listened to the radio! :o ) And they blew my mind. But that was after I saw a picture of them, and it was the perfect match between their wonderful music and how cute they are :wub:

And the first album I heard was American Idiot.

• flying heartgrenade likes this

R_Z-Log

R_Z-Log
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Joined Jun 16, 2013
  • 616 rep

My earliest memories include sitting in the backseat of the car listening to the radio and hearing Good Riddance. For some reason I thought it was the same band that did the Friends theme song (The Rememberandts?). One memory in particular stands out. It was night time and my parents went to to Taco Bell and we were eating in the car when the song came on. I was only like 5 at the time.

Didn't really hear anything else from Green Day until around 2003 when I heard Avril Lavigne cover Basket Case (I was a fan of hers, don't judge me) and decided to listen to the original and thought it was meh...

Then American Idiot happened and I became obsessed.

No judgement here! I was a fan too back in the day haha.

MuricanIDIOT

MuricanIDIOT
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined May 13, 2013
  • 41 rep

MTV VMAS 2009 I remember hearing East Jesus Nowhere and I kept replaying it(I recorded it)over and over again then I looked up Green Day on YouTube and I heard JOS,21 Guns,Good Riddance,Welcome To Paradise ,I was addicted to Green Day from that moment on

P.S. The 2009 VMAs was also the first time I heard Muse

Insomniac85

Insomniac85
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2013
  • 24 rep

In the fall of '95 I saw the video for Longview on MTV. then I picked up Dookie and Insomniac on cassette instantly.

StuckWithInsomnia

StuckWithInsomnia
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Joined May 26, 2012
  • 452 rep

I must have heard songs like Longview, WICA, Warning, & Minority and not really taking any notice of them before 2004 but it wasn't until I was 7 when I heard some guy on the radio go "Here's a new song from Green Day its called American Idiot" when I took a bit more notice and I knew the name of the song/band. So then just after that I heard all the other AI singles (and learned they sung Warning and Good Riddance) and my sister got the album around the release of Holiday, she was only a year older than me so we used to listen to some of the songs on there together. So then after that I just casually liked them and listened to Working Class Hero & The Saints Are Coming when they came on. Didn't care much for 21stCB, it wasn't until a saw a YouTube video with Walking Contradiction as the background music I looked them up and became a proper fan of them.

carriedaway

carriedaway
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined Mar 09, 2013
  • 26 rep

Sophomore year of high school, a boy played Who Wrote Holden Caufield for a report he was giving when we were reading Catcher in the Rye.

Zeet*

Zeet*
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2008
  • 0 rep
  • I remember that first song was Boulevard of broken dreams,when I heard it I started to love this band  :)
  • It was year 2006 and i was about 10 years old :D 

Lannister

Lannister
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Joined Jun 29, 2013
  • 23 rep

My friends (whose place I almost lived at) older brothers used to play Warning all the time.

DookieLukie

DookieLukie
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts
  • Joined Sep 28, 2012
  • 852 rep

Everyone on this thread seems to remember loving Dookie when they were 3-6 yrs old. Am I the only one who doesn't remember anything from when I was that young?

• naliuj likes this

Jason Fox

Jason Fox
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Joined Sep 30, 2012
  • 35 rep
  • Location:The least desirable place in ohio-- The northern part

Everyone on this thread seems to remember loving Dookie when they were 3-6 yrs old. Am I the only one who doesn't remember anything from when I was that young?

You're not the only one...

Anyway, when I think  about it, my memories are one big musical soup. I'm going to just guess that the first song I heard was Good Riddance (and it has been my favorite song, never mind GD ever since), because I remember relentlessly begging my dad to get me the album that the song was on. I think I was either four or five years old at the time.

BUT THERE'S MORE! One of the first albums I heard was also American Idiot, because my dad bought it when it came out, and I remember loving it, but then I think my memory goes back even further. I remember that my dad had a copy of warning, and I loved it. In fact, that might have been the first ALBUM that I heard. I remember hearing songs like Church on Sunday, Hold On, and Deadbeat Holiday and just falling in love with the album. 

And the first Green Day album I ever owned, was Nimrod. To this day it is my favorite, that's just how it is. So, to recap, first song I heard was probably Good Riddance, first album I really liked was Warning, and the first time I SERIOUSLY started to listen to GD was during AI.

PleasedToMeetMe

PleasedToMeetMe
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined Aug 28, 2009
  • 204 rep

In 1994 when I was six my dad came home from work with a copy of Dookie on cassette tape and when I heard it I could not believe how good it was. I made my dad listen to it over and over again until he just gave it to me. A couple months later I saw the Longview video on MTV and I remember thinking that they had looked exactly how I pictured them. I thought Billie's guitar was so cool and Mike Dirnt's big bass . . I was a huge fan from that moment on. After a while I thought they had broken up or something and then one day after school I turned on the TV to see the premire of the Minority video. I fell in love with them all over again and the rest is history.

Advertising

Renan Tavares

Renan Tavares
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined Jan 25, 2006
  • 2 rep

When I was about 10 years old my uncle put International Superhits on the radio and jumped directly to Basket Case. Just loved that :)

Elisa Tempella

Elisa Tempella
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2013
  • 1 rep
Oh god... it was years ago; I don't remember how many but American Idiot came out a year before (I think). However, I was watching MTV because there was nothing else on tv and Holiday started. I only had to listen to the first minute to fall in love with that song. Before that moment I never gave much importance to music in general: now I can't live without it!

And yes, Holiday is still my favourite song.

PleasedToMeetMe

PleasedToMeetMe
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined Aug 28, 2009
  • 204 rep

Does anyone remember listening to The Network for the first time in 2003? I think a lot of people that missed the origins of The Network dont really get it. The time period between Warning and American Idiot seemed like decades, and at the time NOBODY had ANY idea that American Idiot was right around the corner and then BOOM . . Green Day are back and playing this crazy new wave stuff and it was all so secretive and exciting. 

B.Noémi

B.Noémi
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Joined Jul 11, 2013
  • 6 rep

I was 10 when Hungarian radio stations started to play Boulevard of Broken Dreams. At that time I didn't care a lot about music, but this song were in my head. A few months later my older sister started to listen Holiday too, then I figured out that this music sounds really good for me. Since then I really love them. :)

X-Kid-X

X-Kid-X
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2012
  • 74 rep

When I was in the 7th grade (I've now finished 10th grade) a good friend came over and said he wanted me to listen to a cool song and he put Boulevard of Broken Dreams on YouTube. I was like "wow that's pretty awesome", but I didn't do anything about it.

A few days later, I was sick and didn't go to school. Then suddenly I saw on the TV "Green Day - Bullet in a Bible" and I had no idea what it was but it was for free and I remembered that Boulevard of Broken Dreams was by a band called Green Day.

I watched it. I was amazed. Then I watched it again. Then my mom came in the room and saw how happy I was and I wasn't pale anymore and she thought I had faked my sickness. I watched it again later that day. Some time later I bought Green Day Rock Band the day it came out and sometime I was literally speechless and stunned from a song there. :D

jrot

jrot
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2007
  • 15 rep

It was late summer or early fall of 1997. Hitchin' a Ride just came out as a single. I remember hearing that song, as well as Basket Case, When I Come Around, and Brain Stew/Jaded a lot on the radio when that song came out, but I had no idea it was Green Day at the time since I was only 10. I can remember about a month or 2 later, my grandma gave me a crisp, new $20 (granny was so cool like that. :D), I took it to KMart, and bought Nimrod. Got Dookie and Insomniac for Christmas that year, and the rest is history.

naliuj

naliuj
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Joined Mar 11, 2012
  • 23 rep
My friend gave me American Idiot a few years back. I think i was 9 or 10. My friends liked the song AI but i never listened to it. A few days after i got the album i decided to listen to it. I loved American Idiot but didnt like any of the other songs. Thats changed now. So i put it on itunes and a year or so later the same friend gave me Bullet in a Bible. I got into Green Day a lot more after watching the movie. I borrowed a few more albums from the library by them to listen to and i got into the songs. I really got into GD last summer so that was great that i became part of the fanbase right when they were releasing a new album. Yeah. That was a little more info than soe other people but whatever.

missminority182

missminority182
  • You Can't Kill the Me in You

• 8,214 posts
  • Joined Dec 06, 2011
  • 1,731 rep

my first songs were Good Riddance and Warning, circa 2000.

BetterThanAir

BetterThanAir
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined Feb 05, 2010
  • 127 rep

When I was four years old and in kindergarten, we would go visit the grade eights once a week and they would read to us. My reading buddy was a very angsty kid who only wore black. I still remember his name...Scott. He would try to read to me every week and since my English was bad at the time, I didn't know what he was saying. He eventually gave up and would just listen to his walkman/discman (whatever) and sit beside me every time we had Reading Time, and I would look at the pictures in the book. He never offered to let me listen to his music before, but that day he let me listen and I heard my first ever Green Day song; Paper Lanterns. I liked it a lot and I hit the replay button. He asked me something, I think it was something about if I liked it, but I just stared at him blankly and he wrote down 'Paper Lanterns' on a scrap paper. 
When I was around six and could read what it said, my dad took me to a store called Music World and I showed the person at the front the paper. Then I got the album 1,039 SOSH.
I still have the paper he gave me too.

fireballmx

fireballmx
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2009
  • 1 rep

Heard them first when I was playing my new madden 05 on ps2, and I loved them the first time I heard American Idiot. That was the moment when music stopped sucking for me.

Edited by fireballmx, 04 August 2013 - 11:13 PM.

Westside Highway

Westside Highway
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Joined Feb 26, 2013
  • 42 rep

I was into this show called "Johnny Test" and the theme song sounded sorta like american idiot so my friend told me to look it up. I begged my mom to buy me it when i got home without even hearing the song. since she's such a great mother she also bought me 21 guns. i fell in love that day. not just with green day but with music. i soon joined a band and my dad, being a major music nerd, listened to american idiot saw how great it was and made me a playlist of classic rock hits like My generation, johnny b goode, and wild thing because he knew it was similar to american idiot and i would love it. after that i bought dookie randomly choosing it becuz it was on sale  on itunes for $7 and my mom let me get it. That has become my favorite album of all time topping Sgt Pepper, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, pet sounds, and yes even american idiot. i was very pround when back whn they wer doing it, on Static Noise the GDA podcast i sent them an email and they told my story. Well now im in a pretty tight band which is playing our first full lenght paying show im a few weeks in which we are covering last of the american girls, our guitarists fav GD song, right before closing the second set with Like A rolling stone. I also write my own songs which many ppl have compared to the ramones and the kinks but just yesterday my friends  showedhis dad  one of our songs and the dad loved it and totally got the green day vibe from it. Even tho im not quite sure if GD are totally my number one favorite band anymore because i have become disinterested with a bunch of there music, in favor of stuff that is fresher and more interesting me. they willl always have a huge place in my heart.

Edited by Westside Highway, 05 August 2013 - 09:54 AM.

Mykee Mexx

Mykee Mexx
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Joined Nov 12, 2012
  • 543 rep

2011 - on youtube - incidentally, was looking for something else - AI and 21CB - me being 50 then - then I working my way back to their beginnings.

armatage

armatage
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Joined Jul 08, 2009
  • 347 rep

I first heard Basket Case when I was about 7. On Beavis and Butthead, episode titled Spanish Fly. Then when I was 10 I used to hear AI singles a lot but never really realized it was the same band until I looked it up. :lol:

✘StayRock✘

✘StayRock✘
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined Jul 07, 2013
  • 10 rep

When I was 8 years old I heard for the first time Holiday, American Idiot and Basket Case. The first songs from 21stcb I heard were Viva La Gloria? ( yes, little girl :ermm: ), KYE and Last Of The American Girls. I hated LOTAG (yeah lotag, seems like a pokemon) for a long time but after I started listening to all Green Day's songs and I changed idea :runaround:

X-Kid_88

X-Kid_88
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2013
  • 49 rep

Working on an ice cream van at the age of 14. The guy driving the van used to live downstairs from me and we started talking about the guy who owned the van's shit taste in music (Dance). I started telling him about the bands I liked and he asked if I had heard Green Day. When I told him no, we drove to his house and picked up the International Superhits CD, which he had burned from his computer specifically for taking in his car etc. As soon as it played I was hooked. He moved abroad to Spain at the end of that summer, and gave me the copied CD. I actually still have it, even though it has no cover.. It was all thanks to my friend that I ever heard them, but I reckon given my taste in music I would have stumbled across them at some point. When I first saw the video for American Idiot, I called my friend to ask him if it was old or new since he'd been a fan since Dookie. When he told me it was new I was mega excited. I knew I had a favourite band from that day on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users