The first time you heard Green Day

R_Z-Log

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was four years old and in kindergarten, we would go visit the grade eights once a week and they would read to us. My reading buddy was a very angsty kid who only wore black. I still remember his name...Scott. He would try to read to me every week and since my English was bad at the time, I didn't know what he was saying. He eventually gave up and would just listen to his walkman/discman (whatever) and sit beside me every time we had Reading Time, and I would look at the pictures in the book. He never offered to let me listen to his music before, but that day he let me listen and I heard my first ever Green Day song; Paper Lanterns. I liked it a lot and I hit the replay button. He asked me something, I think it was something about if I liked it, but I just stared at him blankly and he wrote down 'Paper Lanterns' on a scrap paper.
When I was around six and could read what it said, my dad took me to a store called Music World and I showed the person at the front the paper. Then I got the album 1,039 SOSH.
I still have the paper he gave me too.

Heard them first when I was playing my new madden 05 on ps2, and I loved them the first time I heard American Idiot. That was the moment when music stopped sucking for me.

I was into this show called "Johnny Test" and the theme song sounded sorta like american idiot so my friend told me to look it up. I begged my mom to buy me it when i got home without even hearing the song. since she's such a great mother she also bought me 21 guns. i fell in love that day. not just with green day but with music. i soon joined a band and my dad, being a major music nerd, listened to american idiot saw how great it was and made me a playlist of classic rock hits like My generation, johnny b goode, and wild thing because he knew it was similar to american idiot and i would love it. after that i bought dookie randomly choosing it becuz it was on sale on itunes for $7 and my mom let me get it. That has become my favorite album of all time topping Sgt Pepper, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, pet sounds, and yes even american idiot. i was very pround when back whn they wer doing it, on Static Noise the GDA podcast i sent them an email and they told my story. Well now im in a pretty tight band which is playing our first full lenght paying show im a few weeks in which we are covering last of the american girls, our guitarists fav GD song, right before closing the second set with Like A rolling stone. I also write my own songs which many ppl have compared to the ramones and the kinks but just yesterday my friends showedhis dad one of our songs and the dad loved it and totally got the green day vibe from it. Even tho im not quite sure if GD are totally my number one favorite band anymore because i have become disinterested with a bunch of there music, in favor of stuff that is fresher and more interesting me. they willl always have a huge place in my heart.

2011 - on youtube - incidentally, was looking for something else - AI and 21CB - me being 50 then - then I working my way back to their beginnings.

I first heard Basket Case when I was about 7. On Beavis and Butthead, episode titled Spanish Fly. Then when I was 10 I used to hear AI singles a lot but never really realized it was the same band until I looked it up. :lol:

When I was 8 years old I heard for the first time Holiday, American Idiot and Basket Case. The first songs from 21stcb I heard were Viva La Gloria? ( yes, little girl :ermm: ), KYE and Last Of The American Girls. I hated LOTAG (yeah lotag, seems like a pokemon) for a long time but after I started listening to all Green Day's songs and I changed idea :runaround:

Working on an ice cream van at the age of 14. The guy driving the van used to live downstairs from me and we started talking about the guy who owned the van's shit taste in music (Dance). I started telling him about the bands I liked and he asked if I had heard Green Day. When I told him no, we drove to his house and picked up the International Superhits CD, which he had burned from his computer specifically for taking in his car etc. As soon as it played I was hooked. He moved abroad to Spain at the end of that summer, and gave me the copied CD. I actually still have it, even though it has no cover.. It was all thanks to my friend that I ever heard them, but I reckon given my taste in music I would have stumbled across them at some point. When I first saw the video for American Idiot, I called my friend to ask him if it was old or new since he'd been a fan since Dookie. When he told me it was new I was mega excited. I knew I had a favourite band from that day on

I went out on a limb and bought Dookie when I was 12 because I heard someone say they were good. Green Day might not be much of a punk rock band anymore, but it's thanks to them that I know about bands like Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion, Bad Brains, Operation Ivy and all the other classic punk bands.

I went out on a limb and bought Dookie when I was 12 because I heard someone say they were good. Green Day might not be much of a punk rock band anymore, but it's thanks to them that I know about bands like Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion, Bad Brains, Operation Ivy and all the other classic punk bands.

I love this answer. So many people will be quick to talk about how Green Day aren't punk, or they sold out, or whatever. But in reality, there are a ton of people that may have never discovered "real" punk if not for them! They brought punk to the mainstream public, and that's just another reason they are such an important element of the punk scene.

• 5 months later...

I heard Green Day for the first time when I was 8, I was sitting in the car and they played Boulevard of Broken Dreams on the radio. That time I had no idea that the same band would change my life some years later :wub:

the first time was probably Boulevard of Broken Dreams on the radio

but a few years later, when i was older i heard a song on the radio and thought "OMG"

that was a great moment

• 4 weeks later...

Man, this feels like forever ago, ok um... It was 2010. I was ten. And my older sister who was seventeen at the time had her boyfriend move in with us until he got an job, so on and so fourth.

He was around twenty or so and came from Minnesota.

He brought out his PS1, yes its an old console. All these games and his big cd collection.

One night we were all hanging out and he was showing us his CDs. He put in one and was Fangirling over this one song saying how it had won an Grammy and whatnot. It was an song that actually hit pretty close to home even though I was an totally happy person yhen. It was Boilevard of Broken Dreams.

An few days after that we were playing PS1. An game called Tomb Raider. The first one that came out in 1996. (now you know why I love it so)

There was this really hard level he kept failing over and over so he said "Maybe I can do it if I turn on music"

So he turned on ¡Viva La Gloria! And I secretly loved that one too, and would you belive that he got through that level on the first try after that?

The following week I'd heard Minority, Know Your Enemy and 21 Guns somewhere in there. I don't remember listening to it but... Yeah

So he ended up breaking up with my sister and going back to Minnesota. Everything crumbled from then, she moved out and I didn't see her for weeks.

But one night I got back from some social stuff in town (I live in the middle of nowhere btw)

I turned on the tv and there was nothing on, except for an Green Day concert movie. So it clucked and I turned it on. Not really paying attention because I was drawing. Until... This one song came on. It sounded so familiar and I loved it. Yhe guide said that it was on an album calked 21st Century Breakdown.

So the next day I got on YouTube and commenced my search.

I looked up the full album and picked through the songs until I landed smack dap on the very memorable chorus. It was called 21 Guns.

The rest is really history.

Warning was the first Green Day album I bought Because I always shop at Walmart And it's an rare occasion that my parents go to Target.

So yeah, the follow ups to that one was American Idiot, Dookie, international Superhits!¡UNO!, ¡Dos! ¡Tr'e! Shenanigans, Insomniac, Nimrod and finally 21st Century Breakdown when I just ordered it online.

I haven't bought Kerplunk yet, but the songs that Ive heard from it are really good.

Anyways, that's my story. And my sister can't stand Green Day now after that breakup. Oh well, that music is my life,

Green Day are as punk as punk gets.

Archived