The first time you heard Green Day

R_Z-Log

I first listened American Idiot on TV and I'd always ask my brother who was the band playing so I could go check them online, but never did.

A few days later I was watching MTV and they were on TRL in 2005, after watching that I got hooked. When it ended I went online searching for more songs, info and interviews of Green Day... Never stopped since then. :lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My friend had a song playing on his mobile while riding our bikes (It was around 2008/2009 and it was spring) and I asked what the song is called and he just said "Green Day" :D So when I came home I searched for Green Day on Youtube and listened through many songs, like When I come around, Minority and some other songs I don't really remember. And I found the song he played: American Idiot! I loved that song so much it really stuck in my head for several months :runaround: And then I realised that many songs I knew at that time were by Green Day like WMUWSE, BOBD, Know Your Enemy, 21st Century Breakdown. And the in the following 4 years I bought all of their albums and DVDs. :D

The first song I heard by Green Day was Wake Me Up When September Ends when I was ten years old. It was played constantly on the most terrible radio stations and I ended up hating it. Plus, for some reason I was convinced it was by Snow Patrol.

But yeah, my first run-ins with Green Day weren't good. :lol: I didn't really want to get into them, but a couple of years later, I succumbed to the nagging of a friend who was already a fan and borrowed American Idiot from the library. The rest is history.

Yeah when I first heard it I also thought it was by Snow Patrol :D When I found out it was by Green Day it was so weird for me because I was pretty sure it was a song by Snow Patrol. Kind of funny we both were wrong the same way :D:D

2000 Light years away when i was like 8 or 9 .. im now 27 love green day more than anything and 2000 LYA is still my fav song ever

I was around 5 years old, my sister would give me a ride to school everyday and she would blast Dookie on the way.. I remember being obsessed with the album cover and always staring at it. And then my cousin gave me Kerplunk and I was hooked...

Dookie, when I was like 3. I loved it because the album had dookie on it.

i remember hearing good riddance when i was like, 7. and i really wanted the single - so my dad bought it for me.

then it kinda went away, and i remember i was at my grandma's house and the video clip for warning came on this show called video hits we have here.

ever since then it was looove. but american idiot really got me into them because i was old enough to understand lyrics and actually feel something when i heard their music.

21st century breakdown (the song) in 5th grade in the summer of 2009 :lol:

I only discovered Green Day and this whole music genre because this song was in the German Top 100 at that time so thank god

and remembered most of the words in some childish babbling that suddenly turned into english!

I looooove when I randomly hear a song (like... on the radio) that I've last heard beofre I was able to speak English and suddenly understand everything :happy: It's a proof of what you've achieved language-skills-wise over the last few years so that's quite satisfying

The first time I heard them was back in 2006 on the radio (when I listened to the radio! :o ) And they blew my mind. But that was after I saw a picture of them, and it was the perfect match between their wonderful music and how cute they are :wub:

And the first album I heard was American Idiot.

My earliest memories include sitting in the backseat of the car listening to the radio and hearing Good Riddance. For some reason I thought it was the same band that did the Friends theme song (The Rememberandts?). One memory in particular stands out. It was night time and my parents went to to Taco Bell and we were eating in the car when the song came on. I was only like 5 at the time.

Didn't really hear anything else from Green Day until around 2003 when I heard Avril Lavigne cover Basket Case (I was a fan of hers, don't judge me) and decided to listen to the original and thought it was meh...

Then American Idiot happened and I became obsessed.

No judgement here! I was a fan too back in the day haha.

MTV VMAS 2009 I remember hearing East Jesus Nowhere and I kept replaying it(I recorded it)over and over again then I looked up Green Day on YouTube and I heard JOS,21 Guns,Good Riddance,Welcome To Paradise ,I was addicted to Green Day from that moment on

P.S. The 2009 VMAs was also the first time I heard Muse

• 3 weeks later...

In the fall of '95 I saw the video for Longview on MTV. then I picked up Dookie and Insomniac on cassette instantly.

I must have heard songs like Longview, WICA, Warning, & Minority and not really taking any notice of them before 2004 but it wasn't until I was 7 when I heard some guy on the radio go "Here's a new song from Green Day its called American Idiot" when I took a bit more notice and I knew the name of the song/band. So then just after that I heard all the other AI singles (and learned they sung Warning and Good Riddance) and my sister got the album around the release of Holiday, she was only a year older than me so we used to listen to some of the songs on there together. So then after that I just casually liked them and listened to Working Class Hero & The Saints Are Coming when they came on. Didn't care much for 21stCB, it wasn't until a saw a YouTube video with Walking Contradiction as the background music I looked them up and became a proper fan of them.

Sophomore year of high school, a boy played Who Wrote Holden Caufield for a report he was giving when we were reading Catcher in the Rye.

• I remember that first song was Boulevard of broken dreams,when I heard it I started to love this band :)
  • It was year 2006 and i was about 10 years old :D

My friends (whose place I almost lived at) older brothers used to play Warning all the time.

Everyone on this thread seems to remember loving Dookie when they were 3-6 yrs old. Am I the only one who doesn't remember anything from when I was that young?

Everyone on this thread seems to remember loving Dookie when they were 3-6 yrs old. Am I the only one who doesn't remember anything from when I was that young?

You're not the only one...

Anyway, when I think about it, my memories are one big musical soup. I'm going to just guess that the first song I heard was Good Riddance (and it has been my favorite song, never mind GD ever since), because I remember relentlessly begging my dad to get me the album that the song was on. I think I was either four or five years old at the time.

BUT THERE'S MORE! One of the first albums I heard was also American Idiot, because my dad bought it when it came out, and I remember loving it, but then I think my memory goes back even further. I remember that my dad had a copy of warning, and I loved it. In fact, that might have been the first ALBUM that I heard. I remember hearing songs like Church on Sunday, Hold On, and Deadbeat Holiday and just falling in love with the album.

And the first Green Day album I ever owned, was Nimrod. To this day it is my favorite, that's just how it is. So, to recap, first song I heard was probably Good Riddance, first album I really liked was Warning, and the first time I SERIOUSLY started to listen to GD was during AI.

In 1994 when I was six my dad came home from work with a copy of Dookie on cassette tape and when I heard it I could not believe how good it was. I made my dad listen to it over and over again until he just gave it to me. A couple months later I saw the Longview video on MTV and I remember thinking that they had looked exactly how I pictured them. I thought Billie's guitar was so cool and Mike Dirnt's big bass . . I was a huge fan from that moment on. After a while I thought they had broken up or something and then one day after school I turned on the TV to see the premire of the Minority video. I fell in love with them all over again and the rest is history.

When I was about 10 years old my uncle put International Superhits on the radio and jumped directly to Basket Case. Just loved that :)

Oh god... it was years ago; I don't remember how many but American Idiot came out a year before (I think). However, I was watching MTV because there was nothing else on tv and Holiday started. I only had to listen to the first minute to fall in love with that song. Before that moment I never gave much importance to music in general: now I can't live without it!

And yes, Holiday is still my favourite song.

Does anyone remember listening to The Network for the first time in 2003? I think a lot of people that missed the origins of The Network dont really get it. The time period between Warning and American Idiot seemed like decades, and at the time NOBODY had ANY idea that American Idiot was right around the corner and then BOOM . . Green Day are back and playing this crazy new wave stuff and it was all so secretive and exciting.

I was 10 when Hungarian radio stations started to play Boulevard of Broken Dreams. At that time I didn't care a lot about music, but this song were in my head. A few months later my older sister started to listen Holiday too, then I figured out that this music sounds really good for me. Since then I really love them. :)

When I was in the 7th grade (I've now finished 10th grade) a good friend came over and said he wanted me to listen to a cool song and he put Boulevard of Broken Dreams on YouTube. I was like "wow that's pretty awesome", but I didn't do anything about it.

A few days later, I was sick and didn't go to school. Then suddenly I saw on the TV "Green Day - Bullet in a Bible" and I had no idea what it was but it was for free and I remembered that Boulevard of Broken Dreams was by a band called Green Day.

I watched it. I was amazed. Then I watched it again. Then my mom came in the room and saw how happy I was and I wasn't pale anymore and she thought I had faked my sickness. I watched it again later that day. Some time later I bought Green Day Rock Band the day it came out and sometime I was literally speechless and stunned from a song there. :D

It was late summer or early fall of 1997. Hitchin' a Ride just came out as a single. I remember hearing that song, as well as Basket Case, When I Come Around, and Brain Stew/Jaded a lot on the radio when that song came out, but I had no idea it was Green Day at the time since I was only 10. I can remember about a month or 2 later, my grandma gave me a crisp, new $20 (granny was so cool like that. :D), I took it to KMart, and bought Nimrod. Got Dookie and Insomniac for Christmas that year, and the rest is history.

My friend gave me American Idiot a few years back. I think i was 9 or 10. My friends liked the song AI but i never listened to it. A few days after i got the album i decided to listen to it. I loved American Idiot but didnt like any of the other songs. Thats changed now. So i put it on itunes and a year or so later the same friend gave me Bullet in a Bible. I got into Green Day a lot more after watching the movie. I borrowed a few more albums from the library by them to listen to and i got into the songs. I really got into GD last summer so that was great that i became part of the fanbase right when they were releasing a new album. Yeah. That was a little more info than soe other people but whatever.

Archived