The first time you heard Green Day

R_Z-Log

This is my first time starting a thread, so if it's wrong, or if there's already one made for this topic I apologize!

Do you remember the first time you heard Green Day? Or at least the first Album you heard, or the first time you were like "Damn, these guys are awesome!"

For me it was 1995. I was ten, and some boys in my class brought Dookie to school and let me listen to it on their walkman (yup, I officially feel old). I think it was the first time I realized there was music out there beyond what my parents listened to, and I've been a fan ever since :wub:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the first time I heard them was when I was like seven or eight, and I heard a song from Dookie on the radio (When I come Around, maybe). I didn't really care for it cause I was young and dumb, but then I watched them perform on the Grammys in 2009 and I found my favourite band :happy:

I heard When I Come Around on the radio and I didn't think anything of it since I was around 11 at the time. Then I heard Holiday on the Green Day takeover on Fuse for 21st Century and instantly got hooked. I went out to buy GD Rockband the day it came out and I was blown away by all of there songs.

I remember listening to a few songs mainly Basket Case and Minority in about 2002 - 2003 online through a very bad dial up connection on our PC at the time i was about 9 or 10, but i wasn't a massive fan it was just a couple of songs i don't even know what website it was on or anything it took forever to load videos. But i really became a fan with American Idiot, i got it a week or so after it came out and loved it, then after seeing them at the MK bowl and Bullet in a Bible coming out i brought almost every album within a few months (at this point in late '05 / early 06' i was 11).

I have no idea, my dad had Dookie so he prrobably played it and I heard it when I was a kid but don't recall it. What got me into GD was seeing and hearing their Working Class Hero video on MTV around 2007. yup.

I was 7 (I think) and I heard Boulevard of Broken Dreams on a top 40 radio station. I really liked it but I didn't bother looking up who the artist was until way later.

I accidentally swallowed my cousins iPod and farted out half of She's A Rebel. Love at first listen :wub:

:lol:

My earliest memories include sitting in the backseat of the car listening to the radio and hearing Good Riddance. For some reason I thought it was the same band that did the Friends theme song (The Rememberandts?). One memory in particular stands out. It was night time and my parents went to to Taco Bell and we were eating in the car when the song came on. I was only like 5 at the time.

Didn't really hear anything else from Green Day until around 2003 when I heard Avril Lavigne cover Basket Case (I was a fan of hers, don't judge me) and decided to listen to the original and thought it was meh...

Then American Idiot happened and I became obsessed.

Heard Time of Your Life at some point when I was quite young but would have never thought to find out who's song it was. When I was around 11-12 I started to watch and listen to Kerrang!TV constantly. Soon after that American Idiot got released and I thought it was the best thing ever :lol:

I saw a music video for a few seconds of American Idiot and hated it as i didnt like any rock music at all, and i didnt like the fact they had make up on :lol: Glad that's all changed now :P

I'd say it was when I was about 4 years old. I was lying in my bed and couldn't sleep since it was midsummer and pretty hot outside. So my dad gave me some music to listen to, which turned out to be Bon Jovi and Green Day's Basket Case. That became some kind of ritual for me to fall asleep as a child then! It's only a rough memory that more or less came up again stronger and clearer when I listened to Basket Case again back in 2005 and remembered most of the words in some childish babbling that suddenly turned into english! If you can't count that as a proper memory, then my first time hearing Green Day would have to be somewhen in early 2005 when my sister and dad listened to American Idiot. I remember falling in love with Boulevard Of Broken Dreams and Wake Me Up When September Ends. I then started to get into them a little more and to absolutely love them in early 2008. The continuance should be obvious :lol:

when American Idiot first came out (i was 9 years old) i heard BOBD and American Idiot on the radio but i had no clue that it was Green Day and i didn't even know who Green Day was.

a few years later my dad gave me Dookie because he thought i would like it, the minute i heard Burnout i fell in love, then i started researching Green Day and came across BOBD again. i was convinced they did a cover of the one i heard back when the song first came out...it took me some time to realize it wasn't a cover and that i loved them before i knew who they were

when i was about 9 a friend of mine (3 years older) came to the beach with her CDplayer and the International Superhits album... she told me that her biggest dream was to became a journalist and interview BJ and his guitar, i never heard about green day so i forced myself to listen to the entire album not to make her feel offended, while i was thinking 'omg, these song are all the same, it's a torture!!' ^^'

about 5 years later i happened to see the program '10 of the best green day videos' on mtv and... i totally fell in love!! during those years i started to care about music and learnt enough english to understand the words of the songs... i just thougth 'hell, these guys are amazing, i wanna hear more from them'... when i was about 13 i bougth both American Idiot and the infamous Interational Superhits =)

now i have almost their entire discography =D

My earliest memories include sitting in the backseat of the car listening to the radio and hearing Good Riddance. For some reason I thought it was the same band that did the Friends theme song (The Rememberandts?). One memory in particular stands out. It was night time and my parents went to to Taco Bell and we were eating in the car when the song came on. I was only like 5 at the time.

Didn't really hear anything else from Green Day until around 2003 when I heard Avril Lavigne cover Basket Case (I was a fan of hers, don't judge me) and decided to listen to the original and thought it was meh...

Then American Idiot happened and I became obsessed.

i understand... i first approached punk music at the age of 12 because i was a fan of avril... we don't have to be ashamed, we were just young and naive =)

I remember I was about 4 or 5 when I first heard a Green Day song on the radio and/or my brother's iPod. Just about the time American Idiot came out. :sherlock: I absoluteley loved it! When 21st Century Breakdown came out I was already familiar with the band and I pre-ordered the album. Before it came out I was a bit worried what direction it would take, but when I put the disc in our CD player all my worries immediately got away and I enjoyed myself very much. Ah, those moments I heard Know Your Enemy and 21 Guns on the radio and then I would freak out. :wub::lol:

It was 1994 and the first song I've ever heard was Basket Case. At that time I wasn't a big fan of Green Day. Sometimes I heard a song about these guys but at this time I was a boygroup girlie. :lol: Shame on my but I was 8 years old. :D

2009 was the time that Green Day have changend my life. This year I have experienced so many vicissitudes and wanted to give up my life. I could not go on and I was at the end. :sorry: Than I had at first the drums at "Know your enemy" and I thought, "Wow. This song is awesome." At this time I was a big Green Day fan and I'll still all my life.

I don't remember what year was but i saw the Poprocks & Coke video on MTV and i really like it, i thought it was funny to see this guy with a dress :lol: but i was really young so i didn't care about music in that time. Then years later i saw Holiday on MTV again and i fell in love with the video and the song, and 8 years later, here i am :ga:

When I was seven or eight (maybe I was six, but I don't remember well) my best friend took Kerplunk! and American Idiot to our school and the teacher let us listen to them. The first song we heard was American Idiot and I liked it, but I was very little and I only understood the words 'american', 'idiot' and 'fuck'; so I felt like a bad girl hahaha Two or three years later this boy showed me the song ¡Viva la Gloria! and I totally fell in love with it. I told my mom that I liked a band called Green Day and she told me she was a huge fan in the 90's and gave me the Kerplunk! casette and the Dookie CD. That was the moment when I knew they were my favorite band :)

My friend played BOBD on his ipod and I fell in love with them, after listening to the song I begged my mom to buy me the album and boooom.... I found my favourite band

94 I was a loyal MTV watcher and Longview was the Buzz Bin (video that played like every 30 min or every hour) got Dookie on cassette and rest is history...

A large part of my wasted youth was spent at raves, we used to travel up North quite often to places like the Hacienda.

One time we ended up at this place in Wigan, Green Day were playing. I don't remember a lot of it (most of those days are a blur tbh), but the first song I heard must have been I Was There. I don't think I immediately become a "fan", but I guess they grew on me :P

First time that i heard a GD song was in 2000, i was only 4 years old.

Saw the video for Minority on TV in 2000.

Then, i became a huge fan of Green Day.

The first song I heard by Green Day was Wake Me Up When September Ends when I was ten years old. It was played constantly on the most terrible radio stations and I ended up hating it. Plus, for some reason I was convinced it was by Snow Patrol.

But yeah, my first run-ins with Green Day weren't good. :lol: I didn't really want to get into them, but a couple of years later, I succumbed to the nagging of a friend who was already a fan and borrowed American Idiot from the library. The rest is history.

I was 10 years old and Mtv passed "Minority" all the time.. I remember dancing and singing along with my brother.

I don't remember exactly :D but I remember I knew only American Idiot and Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
I still have the first cd with these two songs (and no, there isn't original) It's a very special memory for me :D
Also, BOBD used to be the theme of an italian program so when I listened it I remebered the "Ah-ah-ah-ah" LOL

Edit: it was 2005!

Archived