SOTW Macy's Day Parade

Sarcasm

So this song of the week is Macy's Day Parade. Apart from being one of the easiest songs to play on guitar and the only obscure B/W video, it doesn't seems like many people have a deep relationship to this song. Deathstroke seems convinced it's only a rendition/milker from the Good Riddance concept (taken even further with 21 Guns, those dicks), even if the same subjects are hardly, if at all, touched.

Alright, boring statistics:

Well, the song itself didn't do too good, and the only thing that won/was nominated for was listed on GDA and it doesn't say if they won or not, so here are the warning stuff, as exciting as it was 13 years ago.

Outstanding Album

Outstanding Punk Rock/Ska Album

Outstanding Group

Outstanding Male Vocalist

Outstanding Bassist

Outstanding Drummern (lol, GDA typo)

Outstanding Songwriter

Outstanding Group Artist

Warning isn't about a certain topic like AI and 21stcbd, it's rather just a turn in a different direction for the band, displaying a less negative and bitter side of them. Well MDP changed that, ending the album with a bitter serenade dedicated to no one about how Billie learned the hard way, growing up realizing whats what in the world and how to apply his knowledge to his life, how he can be happy without dwelling on the past and discovering that all that he ever wanted was happiness (aaw). A call for duty can be as simple as a boring job, a job is a duty however boring, and it's also a dream many share. Being able to live with a stable job, average income and a solid time frame, most likely bearing roots from Billie lacking the freedom of a good economy in his youth, something many can relate to.

In MDP (patent pending), the band plays a tune that is in a limbo between happy and sad. It also mildly touches the anti war subject, and just tickles the balls of what is the darkest part of consumerism: a fire sale on caskets.

"The difference between thieves and crooks" is a line that many beats with a question mark. I've never quite gotten it either. It sounds like a crook is a way of life, lying and cheating, manipulating your way forward, while the thief simply takes what he wants and moves on. The song as a whole can be view many different ways, this is just my take on it.

This is one of the videos that are posted on youtube, and yup, it's in slow motion for us but sped up to the speed of light for him. Give him a round of applause for not collapsing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j2aRHWcizs

Lyrics: (Blame the gramatical errors on a GDA editor. If you have a complaint about the lyrics, PM Matt, Andres, Florence, Jimmy or Liam.

Please do this again and again until the issue is fixed.)

Today's the Macy's Day Parade

the night of the living dead is on its way

with a credit report for duty call

it's a lifetime guarantee

stuffed in a coffin 10% more free

Red light special at the mausoleum

v Give me something that I need

satisfaction guaranteed to you

what's the consolation prize?

economy sized dreams of hope

when I was a kid I thought

I wanted all the things that I haven't got

oh. I learned the hardest way

Then I realized what it took

To tell the difference between

thieves and crooks

A lesson learned to me and you

Give me something that I need

Satisfaction guaranteed

Because I'm thinking about

a brand new hope

the one I've never known

cause now I know

it's all that I wanted

what's the consolation prize?

economy sized dreams of hope

Give me something that I need

Satisfaction guaranteed

a brand new hope

the one I've never known

and where it goes

and I'm thinking about

the only road

the one I've never known

and where it goes

a brand new hope

the one I've never known

cause now I know

it's all that I wanted

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome write up. It's not a song many people seem to care for, but it ia perhaps the most comforting song to listen to in times of disappointment. Probably one of the most poignant pieces Billie Joe's ever written.

Awesome write up. It's not a song many people seem to care for, but it ia perhaps the most comforting song to listen to in times of disappointment. Probably one of the most poignant pieces Billie Joe's ever written.

Really? I find most of his songs being about his past. But perhaps this is a more touchy subject for him. I know it is for me. :P

Tbhi, I love this song. I'm not a huge analyzer who manages to understand everything that's hidden between the lines of a song, but I reallyt like this song for being sad, but not too heavy at the same time. meh, I can't explain it better :P

Really? I find most of his songs being about his past. But perhaps this is a more touchy subject for him. I know it is for me. :P

They are very often about the past, but this tops them all in terms of intimacy and sincerity, joint first with No One Knows IMO. :)

What a wonderful way to describe the song. It's mournful in a "misery loves company" sort of way, in that when I sing along with it, I feel like we're sharing the same feelings.

It's one of my favorite GD songs. I'll never forget when Billie played it at my show and I'm so thankful for that moment. I wasn't a die-hard fan when I went to that concert but that song was always perfect to me and I never would have expected that. It really helped cement my love for the band.

I always thought it was a song against consumer culture...?!

It is to a certain extent. I suppose the lyrics suggest that you grow out of that desire for all material goods as you get older and realise that all you ever wanted was some form of stability, loved ones around you, which sometimes it seems only money can buy.

One of my favourite songs to this day. Like Fatima and Mar have said, it's a song to listen to when you feel like crap, when it's raining or when you don't quite know how to feel. I love how you can feel the emotion in every syllable sung. I love the folk-ish, nostalgic vibe it's got. I also like that I have no idea what it's about (nice write-up, Ola!!), and the lyrics can mean so many different things to me personally depending on my mood.

It's also one of my favourite songs to sing.

I really love this track. the lyrics are brilliant. one of my favorites from Warning.

I adore this song like I adore the rest of Warning. It's so simple, but it's also very striking and I feel like it doesn't get the appreciation is deserves. The lines "When I was a kid I thought/I wanted all the things that I haven't got/Oh, but I learned the hardest way" are really poignant for me personally, tbh. And I love the song as a closer. It changes the whole mood of the album, but does it in a way that's not awkward like some closing songs might.

My third favorite GD song. :wub: Nice write-up!

I've always deciphered the "thieves and crooks" line as this: a thief is defined as someone who steals something, while a crook is defined as a dishonest, deceiving person. A thief can be someone who steals something to help someone else, so they aren't necessarily a criminal. A crook is out for their own personal gain. There's a difference between them. I hope that made a little sense. :P

I can't even read them I just see tutorials on YouTube

Just look up the chords on Google images and listen to where they change the chords in the song

Just look up the chords on Google images and listen to where they change the chords in the song

Ok Thanks

I personally love this song. I love to fall aslepp listening to it^^. Warning being my fav album of Green Day, this song is just the perfect way to "end" it.

Nice write up! :thumbsup:

I really do like this song. It's very bittersweet and I don't want to sound cheesy but it kind of took my breath away when I first heard it. In terms of their slow songs I think this one deserves more credit than it gets, but it's constantly overshadowed by "Good Riddance."

Aw, Macy's Day Parade :wub: My TOP 1 from Warning, and one of the songs with more special meaning than others.

Is all about the hope. Sometimes I feel like I have nothing, but it's never late for a "brand new hope"...

"When I was a kid I thought I wanted all the things that I haven't got..." (that happens to everybody. although I think he's not only talking about material things) and then "Oh, but I learned the hardest way..." =/

Talking about it, Billie said "I about growing up with material things flashing in your face on tv and media, and figuring the only thing you really need in life is hope." I couldn't agree more with him on that ♥

The video's great, very simple-hearted. (but now that I think about it, he comes and leaves on that van but whatever :lol:) I love it. B&W made it perfect!

FWIW, I don't see 21 Guns as an offshoot of Good Riddance. It was an effort by Green Day to morph BOBD and WMUWSE into one mega-hit song.

Macy's Day Parade, on the other hand, feels like a warmed-over Good Riddance. Simple, acoustic number to close out the album, maybe an attempt to recapture their previous hit's magic.

To say that I dislike Warning would be a strong understatement, and Macy's Day Parade is a big part of the reason I care so little for it.

I always get a bit teary when I hear this song, it sounds so darn depressing, yet hopeful at the same time. I love it.

I love this song. I always listen to it when I am depressed.

And great write up Ola!

Archived