"After The Disappointment of "Uno!, Dos!, Tre!" has Green Day Lost Some of Their Popularity?"

desertrose

These same people said Green Day has lost all relevance after Warning.

These same people said Green Day are a one hit wonder back in 1994.

These same people said American Idiot is a stupid idea that won't work.

These same peope questioned Green Day's musical style even after the band has won 5 grammys.

Honestly I don't give a damn about what these people think.Green Day is one of the bands which continues to have relevance in almost all age groups.I have seen 50+ old and 10-11 year old fans of green day.I'm so sure the next album would be a massive success.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're still a huge, legendary band with the pulling power to play anywhere they want, release anything they want, and do anything they want. That's a lot more important than being number one in the charts.

+1

Guys and gals, don't get your knickers in a twist over some hack trying to get cheap hits on a website. Fact is this sort of crap only happens to the biggest of bands. Green Day have moved on to become living legends. That is also why they didn't win any of the 'important' Kerrang awards, those morsels are left for up and coming bands. ;):lol:

Eh, the 'loss of popularity' is relative. They're still filling - or almost filling - arenas and stadiums around the world. This is a flop only by Green Day standards and there are many smaller bands who would sell their souls for such a following. With some love and care given to new tracks and a solid (but not excessive...) marketing campaign, there is no reason why their next record can't be a commercial and critical success.

I think if they did a full UK tour, rather than one massive show then the numbers at the emirates would have been a different story with regards to numbers. But anyway, who cares about things like numbers?

Green Day are such an established act now that they will be able to put on shows forever and find people who would be willing to come. They could rest on their laurels and become a "Greatest Hits" style act, but the fact they are making new music and have retained their original line-up (they are no Guns 'n' Roses) sets them apart. Like Cat said, you don't want fickle fans taking up space at the show just to hear one song. Bands with a stronger, but smaller following are far better than fans with a massive, but hollow following as they know you are there with them the whole time.

Green Day have made the impressive move of having a strong, but large following, regardless of their mainstream exposure right now. You shouldn't let other people's opinions drag you down, if you like them then that's great you have something to believe in.

Uno Dos Tre was not a disappointment. It has some great songs but ultimately suffered due to poor single choices. Oh Love was the only song that recived a bit of promotion. If that much promotion went into a better lead single things may have turned out differently. I think X-Kid should have been on Uno and should have been its lead single.

X-kid should be nowhere near UNO :lol: but you are right in a way ... If they put out let yourself go first then Uno might have got more attention

X-kid should be nowhere near UNO :lol: but you are right in a way ... If they put out let yourself go first then Uno might have got more attention

Style wise you are right xkid would not fit on the Uno as we know it now. What I mean is X-kid should have been on the first album of the 3. If that ment swapping around a few songs on each album then that's what should have happened. Thats purely a promotional/timing thing though. Im perfectly happy with each album.

I don't think so.

And who says they're back in the studio?

there was an article in random news last week claiming they were back in the studio, but it was a joke article. I dont think they are back in the studio other than when Billie was remixing some of the guitars on Uno dos tre.

Some people actually don't think of it as a 'disappointment' okay? In my opinion I think the reason why MOST people don't like the trilogy is bc it's not the usual songs Green Day spits out and it's sad because the trilogy is actually REALLY good. Sux 2 b u. c:

Some people actually don't think of it as a 'disappointment' okay? In my opinion I think the reason why MOST people don't like the trilogy is bc it's not the usual songs Green Day spits out and it's sad because the trilogy is actually REALLY good. Sux 2 b u. c:

I totally agree with this..Not everyone dares to be different.

Yeah I hated the trilogy albums. I still love all the other stuff, but those albums were not to my taste. I didnt go and see them in Emirates as I didnt know any of the new stuff and especially as the ticket prices were a lot higher than they were in 2010.

How I see it is after every release Green Day loses popularity and it's not always based on the merit of what they put out.

Uno: first week sales - 139,000. peaked at #2 on billboard 200.

Dos first week sales: 69,000, peaked at #9 on billboard 200

Tre: peaked at #13 on billboard 200.

If that's considered disappointing (taking into account the lack of a band to promote the records and the fact that they released 3 ALBUMS IN 4 MONTHS), then it's pretty clear that popularity won't be an issue for Green Day going forward

The trilogy wasn't a disappointment for me... I don't think they are less popular, they have dedicated fans :3

Uno wasn't a flop because it went #2. Thats very good considering its mostly a collection of Rock songs in our time of wannabe rappers and singers. Dos! and Tre! did bad, but like Tre said in Quatro, "The second record is the wierd one." I think Tre could have been another 21st or AI but it didn't have enough support.

Uno wasn't a flop because it went #2. Thats very good considering its mostly a collection of Rock songs in our time of wannabe rappers and singers. Dos! and Tre! did bad, but like Tre said in Quatro, "The second record is the wierd one." I think Tre could have been another 21st or AI but it didn't have enough support.

I'm still wondering where 99 Revs/8th Ave. Serenade/Missing You: The Single is.

they are filthy rich at this point they are probably playing the music they want without the pressure of the early days.

they are filthy rich at this point they are probably playing the music they want without the pressure of the early days.

External pressure, yes... but you can bet they put themselves under pressure to do things right.

External pressure, yes... but you can bet they put themselves under pressure to do things right.

true!

The trilogy was begging to be a flop in the sense they mean. Three records in a row is way too much for an average listener to buy. The current mainstream musical styles are as far from Green Day's they can get. They've done almost no interviews or media appearances in the last year. Of course there was no way for the trilogy to become the new American Idiot. And of course you'll see it as a failure if you only care for the album sales and the amount of play time on the most popular radio stations.

But Green Day just filled Emirates. They have just recently started their tour and they are going steady. At least over here, people are talking about them. Billie is ok and they have just put out the one work that has been the biggest risk to take so far. They seem to be having fun.

I still believe they know what they're doing.

The trilogy was begging to be a flop in the sense they mean. Three records in a row is way too much for an average listener to buy. The current mainstream musical styles are as far from Green Day's they can get. They've done almost no interviews or media appearances in the last year. Of course there was no way for the trilogy to become the new American Idiot. And of course you'll see it as a failure if you only care for the album sales and the amount of play time on the most popular radio stations.

But Green Day just filled Emirates. They have just recently started their tour and they are going steady. At least over here, people are talking about them. Billie is ok and they have just put out the one work that has been the biggest risk to take so far. They seem to be having fun.

I still believe they know what they're doing.

The fact that they accomplished all they have in spite of Billie's rehab makes it all the more respectable

Guest Trotsky

I'm still wondering where 99 Revs/8th Ave. Serenade/Missing You: The Single is.

Maybe they don't want to release a single because they don't feel ready to promote it (tv appearances,interviews,video clip).

Maybe they don't want to release a single because they don't feel ready to promote it (tv appearances,interviews,video clip).

I hope they do it close to their headlines at Reading/Leeds

Guest Trotsky

I hope they do it close to their headlines at Reading/Leeds

Dirty Rotten Bastards for single.This would be insane. :lol:

Dirty Rotten Bastards for single.This would be insane. :lol:

ATM, the average radio listener can't handle a song that's more than 5 minutes. Even JoS was edited I believe.

Would be awesome

Archived