Emily's Army new album, produced by Billie Joe, is out today

Fuzz

Well, thankfully for them you guys have absolutely no say in who's "ready" for a contract or not.

Well, I am not trying to be a dick here, but I think it's alright to question the reason why they were given the opportunity to record two albums so early. And as a musician I can certainly relate to what Sensei21 is saying. I've seen local bands gradually rise to "fame", and I've seen several local bands who never got that far. There is a distinct difference in the level of songwriting and musicianship in those two categories of bands, and I would, sorry to say, argue that EA didn't show that same level of neither songwriting nor musicianship. And when I hear that come across in their music, I think it's only natural that one asks the question about whether they got their chance a little bit to early or not.

And to answer your post more directly, you're absolutely right. I'm not trying to say that their a bad group. On the contrary, I see EA as one of the more promising bands out there today. But that is the thing, they seem to be a little ahead of themselves with these records. :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I am not trying to be a dick here, but I think it's alright to question the reason why they were given the opportunity to record two albums so early. And as a musician I can certainly relate to what Sensei21 is saying. I've seen local bands gradually rise to "fame", and I've seen several local bands who never got that far. There is a distinct difference in the level of songwriting and musicianship in those two categories of bands, and I would, sorry to say, argue that EA didn't show that same level of neither songwriting nor musicianship. And when I hear that come across in their music, I think it's only natural that one asks the question about whether they got their chance a little bit to early or not.

And to answer your post more directly, you're absolutely right. I'm not trying to say that their a bad group. On the contrary, I see EA as one of the more promising bands out there today. But that is the thing, they seem to be a little ahead of themselves with these records. :)

I'm just annoyed by people who feel the need to question the validity of their success because of Billie Joe. It annoys me because there are many many bands out there who get signed and I never question whether or not they should have been. If I like their music I'll listen, if I don't, I won't. I don't sit around saying "these guys must have only got a contact because they knew someone." It just sounds incredibly petty.

I'm just going to throw in my two cents here and say that they're incredibly good live. They make it fun for the crowd and sound just like they do in the studio versions. It also helps that they're all super nice guys.

I'm just annoyed by people who feel the need to question the validity of their success because of Billie Joe. It annoys me because there are many many bands out there who get signed and I never question whether or not they should have been. If I like their music I'll listen, if I don't, I won't. I don't sit around saying "these guys must have only got a contact because they knew someone." It just sounds incredibly petty.

The bolded part.

You never listen to a band and just wonder how it happened? Everytime I listen to Nirvana's Bleach, MCR's Bullets, Green Day's 1039, Daft Punks homework, and so many more I ask myself "How the HELL did this album get them signed onto a bigger label, or any label at all?! Who heard this and felt the next album could be groundbreaking?" Those are the weakest albums from those groups for me and it's incredible that they got where they did riding on those as debut works.

It surprises me. But with EA I can actually answer it this time and say "Billie Joe Armstrong is the drummers dad? OH." It's not a stretch to say he had some influence there. How that sounds petty to you I do not know, because it's an obvious connection to make. Which isn't saying that they won't improve and isn't saying that they won't get huge someday, but that the first album is very amateur and like Misterglass said, I've seen local bands who struggle for a long time put out a more cohesive and well built album. Hell, look at Walk The Moon's first record for reference. THAT should be all over the mainstream. Those are some well written and fantastically produced tracks. So good, I honestly thought it was their 3rd or 4th album before looking into them. But when I hear EA's first record? Nope, I don't hear any of that whatsoever, which is of course my opinion but that need not be stated.

The bolded part.

You never listen to a band and just wonder how it happened? Everytime I listen to Nirvana's Bleach, MCR's Bullets, Green Day's 1039, Daft Punks homework, and so many more I ask myself "How the HELL did this album get them signed onto a bigger label, or any label at all?! Who heard this and felt the next album could be groundbreaking?" Those are the weakest albums from those groups for me and it's incredible that they got where they did riding on those as debut works.

Labels invest in bands they think have potential, it doesn't really matter how good the EP does. All those bands you mentioned were signed because labels have eye for certain things and they could see them become big one day with the right push. Labels want to make money so if they see a chance to sign a successful band in the making, they will. Period.

It surprises me. But with EA I can actually answer it this time and say "Billie Joe Armstrong is the drummers dad? OH." It's not a stretch to say he had some influence there. How that sounds petty to you I do not know, because it's an obvious connection to make.

What sounds petty to me "I don't know how these guys got signed when there are bands out there struggling for years to make it. Yeah? That's how it works. Bitching that someone else has some success when you (or someone else doesn't) sounds petty.

Nircana got signed not off of Bleach but their live shows and by the Smart Studios demo

Same way alot of other bands got signed is by having great live shows Hootie And The Blowfish for example got signed to Atlantic just cause an A&R was at a bar and was "amazed" by their performance

If EA really wanted to exploit having a connection to Billie they'd have him get them signed to Reprise/Warner or another major...

I still say they should dump the singer i might be into them if it wasnt for the chalkboard singer...

If Emily's Army was signed to Reprise or Warner Bros, then maybe you'd have something of a valid complaint, but the mere fact that you wouldn't have signed Green Day based on their Lookout days and the fact that Rob Cavallo was smart enough to do so is enough to suggest you and I should never question any record label's decision to sign ANYONE.

Yeah, Billie being around guaranteed they got signed. I bet you 90% of the bands that get signed nowadays (and time immemorial) "knew someone."

Success after signing is a total crapshoot anyway. (In the same way that there wasn't a real precedent for Green Day's commercial success).

Besides, however many records EA is selling, which I'm sure is modest, is now entirely their own doing. If you bought it because Billie Joe produced it, you still bought it for what you thought would be musical quality, and there's no shame in that. Just like I might be inclined to buy something that Rob Cavallo produces because I respect his skill and taste.

Not to be a bitch, but can I just say that the phrase "I'm a musician" is way too overused here? Just because you play 3 chords on your guitar does not make you a musician. And you being a "musician" does not make you a marketing expert. This is just like IQ. You get signed on a label because of POTENTIAL, not because of what you are now.

Secondly, EA has been working their asses off for years getting gigs by themselves and doing everything DIY. During their Myspace days, Joey even put a fake last name because he didn't want a connection to Billie Joe.

Thirdly, stop the holier than thou attitude about knowing more about the music industry.

I'm getting the LP in the mail today. Hopefully it's the red one, and it's not as warped as my copy of Don't Be A Dick.

Archived