SotW: ¡Viva La Gloria!

solongfromthestars

¡Viva La Gloria! is the fourth track from Green Day's album 21st Century Breakdown, written by Billie Joe Armstrong. It's also included on the live album Awesome as F**k. It was played quite a few times on the 21st Century Breakdown tour, but remains one of the "rarer" live songs from the album.

21st Century Breakdown is a concept album that revolves around a young couple, Christian and Gloria. This song is a serenade from Christian to Gloria, and introduces the character of her as well as their relationship. Throughout the album, Christian is portrayed as a dark person who hates everything, but Gloria is his light in the dark. She's a positive and strong girl who has "found a home in all your scars and ammunition" despite maybe a difficult childhood. Christian is hailing her, telling her to never burn out and not to look back on the past; he admires her for trying to hold the torch while all he can imagine is wanting to burn everything down. Although there's already references to her flaws and the struggles of their lives, Gloria is portrayed as standing tall above the ruins regardless. It's a harsh contrast to the mocking ¿Viva La Gloria? [Little Girl], when she's portrayed in a completely different light; she's fallen apart and turned to drugs.

Billie Joe has said that Christian and Gloria represent two different sides of him - Gloria the positive one he would like to think is dominant, and Christian the darker side. He chose the name Gloria as a play on "glory", but said he also considered the name Emily.

Gloria is portrayed in several different ways in the album art:

162017_177973228890614_6195597_n.jpg

normal_rhs.jpg

normal_Green_Day_03_Blue_Door_Girl.jpg

normal_Green_Day_01_FireCan.jpg

For me personally, this is my favourite song of all time. I had a difficult childhood and was going through some dark times when 21st Century Breakdown came out, and although it's cliché, it was this song that helped me through. Even though she's just a vague figment of Billie Joe's imagination, Gloria somehow gave me faith in the world again. She comes across as so strong and positive in the song, and at the time gave me someone to admire and look up to. I thought that if she could be like that, I could be too. Those few months were probably the darkest of my life, but I left the past behind and came out of it an optimistic, ambitious and strong young woman. This song will always have a special meaning to me because of that.

Here's a video of ¡Viva La Gloria! live in Japan:
http://youtu.be/5NA8Dbj0Xyc

Lyrics:

Hey Gloria,
Are you standing close to the edge?
Look out at the setting sun
The brink of your vision

Eternal youth is the landscape of a lie
The cracks of my skin can prove
As years will testify
So say your prayers and light a fire
We're gonna start a war
Your slogan's "a gun for hire"
It's what we waited for

Hey Gloria,
This is why we're on the edge
The fight of our lives been drawn to
This undying love

Gloria, viva la Gloria
You blast your name in graffiti on the walls
Falling through broken glass
That's slashing through your spirits
I can hear it like a jilted crowd

Gloria, where are you Gloria?
You found a home in all your scars and ammunition
You made your bed in salad days
Amongst the ruins
Ashes to ashes of our youth

She smashed her knuckles into winter
As autumn's wind fades into black
She is the saint on all the sinners
The one that's fallen through the cracks
So don't put away your burning light!

Gloria, where are you Gloria?
Don't lose your faith to your lost naivete
Weather the storm and don't look back on last November
When your banners were burning down

Gloria, viva la Gloria
Send me your amnesty down to the broken hearted
Bring us the season that we always will remember
Don't let the bonfires go out!

So Gloria,

Send out your message of your light that shadows in the night
Gloria, where's your undying love?
Tell me the story of your life

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love, love, love this song. It was my first favourite song from 21st Century breakdown though I enjoyed (and still do) the album as a whole anyway. The contrast of piano intro and the noisy, pop punk end is class. The portrayal of Gloria as a strong revolutionary character is just so poetically done. One of their best ever tracks.

Is there anybody who's able to explain me a couple of things about this lyric?

Such as: I can hear it like a jilted crowd, What does it mean? I thought that maybe Bille wanted to say something like "I can feel it like someone is doin' directly to me" but I don't know, I'm just Italian ahha and moreover I'd like to know if for you native people "To fall through the cracks" has to be considered as a literal meaning or not, thanks

Like the majority of the 21st Century Breakdown album, this track had to grow on me. I just had to sit with it for awhile. I love it now though.

Is there anybody who's able to explain me a couple of things about this lyric?

Such as: I can hear it like a jilted crowd, What does it mean? I thought that maybe Bille wanted to say something like "I can feel it like someone is doin' directly to me" but I don't know, I'm just Italian ahha and moreover I'd like to know if for you native people "To fall through the cracks" has to be considered as a literal meaning or not, thanks

"Jilted" means "abandoned" or "rejected" so he's basically saying "I can hear it like a rejected crowd". A crowd implies something big, so I'd guess that it's a metaphor for a lot of emotional pain (since it follows the "broken glass that's slashing through your spirits" lines). Usually "jilted" refers to lovers, so it could mean that the pain comes from being abandoned and hurt by an ex-partner.

Only Billie knows what he really meant though, and knowing him it could be something totally random. :lol:

"Fallen through the cracks" isn't literal, no.

I think Billie has a hard time remembering the lyrics to this one. He likes to use a cheat sheet. :P

40970_1540710407334_7963843_n.jpg

I think Billie has a hard time remembering the lyrics to this one. He likes to use a cheat sheet. :P

hahaha where was that from :P ?

I love the song so much.

It makes me want to get up and do things.

Very nice write-up! Definitely one of my favorites from 21stCB. Musically and lyrically awesome, I might add!

First song I fell in love with off of 21CB and still one of my favorites.

The piano :wub:

I think there were several cheat sheets on the livestream of yesterday's show, as well lol

hahaha where was that from :P ?

It was at the Prague show on the 21CB tour. Yes, I'm sad enough to remember this. :ninja:

Loved this after first listen, still do :P Great lyrics too

I love the song. The guitar riff of the second part of the song is probably my favourite from GD

I always thought this was supposed to be Christian :D

.polls_Gloria_by_xmimex_2937_429626_poll_

"Jilted" means "abandoned" or "rejected" so he's basically saying "I can hear it like a rejected crowd". A crowd implies something big, so I'd guess that it's a metaphor for a lot of emotional pain (since it follows the "broken glass that's slashing through your spirits" lines). Usually "jilted" refers to lovers, so it could mean that the pain comes from being abandoned and hurt by an ex-partner.

Only Billie knows what he really meant though, and knowing him it could be something totally random. :lol:

"Fallen through the cracks" isn't literal, no.

Thank you :) Now I understand almost everything, my english teacher wasn't able to tell me anything like this ahahah

What a beautiful song. The other day watching Awesome As Fuck, I have to say that was a perfect performance.

The soft, piano intro and then the crazy and fast rock part, it's a great contrast.

There are some special things about this song, for exmple I'll never forget that interview where Billie Joe actually said that the song could be "Viva La Billie", being about him... it's kind of weird when I try to analyze some lines if he's talking about himself, some of them make sense. I'm not saying that because of this the song entirely about him, maybe there are some aspects that aren't.

Also, the fire reference on every verse, the kind of thing that drives Tré crazy :lol: haha

It would have been awesome if it could've had its own official video. It's one of my favs from the record.

My favorite part is "She smashed her knuckles into winter (GLOOOORRRRIIIIIAAAA!)" :wub: that part is a highlight of 21CB for me!

Always loved this song... The instrumental piano and strings make me tear up. THAT is saying something.

Guest Trotsky

One of the best songs of Green Day.It's a shame that this beautiful song wasn't released as single with a video (let's say instead of LoTAG).

remember the first time i heard this song , when it properly kicks in i got SOOO Pumped up !!! an Amazing Song

I absolutely adore this song, especially lately for some reason. I just love the melody and how all the instrumentals come together, it's really just beautiful.

And the line "Weather the storm and don't look back on last November" really gets me for some reason and I love it.

The beginning also sounds really pretty on the saxophone :)

Love the write up!
Its one of my favorites from 21stCB. Its amazing how the lyrics say so much!

I can say nothing that hasn't already been said. My fav song from that album and one of my fav Green Day songs ever. Such an inspiration when I first heard it, and in any dark days since then.

And the line "Weather the storm and don't look back on last November" really gets me for some reason and I love it.

That's where I got my username from. :) It's intended to serve as a reminder of darker days I had a few years ago and never to linger on them, to push on through and that the storms will always lead to brighter, better times. When that album came out the last November prior to it was a particularly shitty month for me. I had a friend going through serious health problems and I was in a dark mental state myself and it just stood and spoke to me louder than any other lyrics on the album.

Not to mention that it is of course a kick ass song. On my first impressions I noticed and loved the tiniest of things when the chorus comes in. The jump up in vocals from "vi" to "va" in "Glooooria, viVA la Gloria!" It is a miniscule thing but it sounded inspiring and fit the defiant, motivational mood of the song perfectly.

This song also taught me what the term "salad days" actually meant! :lol:

Isn't it great when the audience sings "Gloriaaa ♫♪" in the second verse? :wub: I love that.

Archived