Green Day set new gig attendance record at London's Emirates Stadium

Crimpshrine

The massive north London venue sells out all 60,000 tickets for the first time.

The band took to the stage at the north London enormodome on Saturday night (June 1) to play a hit-packed set which also featured audience antics, bizarre costumes and Billie Joe Armstrong firing a huge toilet paper gun into the crowd.

Now it's been revealed that the venue sold out all 60,000 tickets for the first time. Other acts including Coldplay and Bruce Springsteen have played sell-out shows at the Emirates Stadium in the past but their attendance figures were lower due to different staging and seating configurations.

Green Day are currently on tour in Europe but will return to the UK in August to headline the Reading and Leeds festivals on August 23 and 24. They last performed at Reading last year (2012) when they delighted fans by playing a secret set on the NME/Radio 1 stage on Saturday morning.

Green Day made their live comeback at South By Southwest in March (2013). They had been previously cancelled a series of live dates scheduled for the end of 2012 and start of 2013 following Armstrong's onstage breakdown in September 2012 and subsequent stint in rehab.

by NME

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am really proud of Green Day for breaking the attendance record, and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but Coldplay did three consecutive nights at the Emirates, Bruce Springsteen and Muse both did two. That may have had an impact on their gate figures. Of course Green Day are the best band ever to play there, obviously, but saying that they have broken a record isn't the whole story. And now I feel guilty for bringing it up.

I am really proud of Green Day for breaking the attendance record, and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but Coldplay did three consecutive nights at the Emirates, Bruce Springsteen and Muse both did two. That may have had an impact on their gate figures. Of course Green Day are the best band ever to play there, obviously, but saying that they have broken a record isn't the whole story. And now I feel guilty for bringing it up.

GD did two nights at Milton Keynes as well.

I heard about this a few days ago, great news! It shows Green Day doesn't need a number 1 album to sell out arenas/stadiums. I'm one proud fan! :happy:

Great achievement. I make that their top 4 gigs in the uk now.

Wembley - don't know but probably around 60,000 or more.

The two Milton Keynes gigs 65,000 two nights in a row

and this one.

Bare in mind also that those bands had different stage set ups so sold less tickets, but either way it's still a very nice record to break, specially given the year they've had, and the type of band they are.

SO THIS IS HOW IT FEELS TO BE A PROUD MOTHER :cry::dance:

It was a fucking incredible show. Well deserved for them, they are phenomenal live. UK loves you Green Day.

I was at both this gig and the football match with highest attendance at the Emirates (v Man Utd in 07), so I'm a double record holder and, therefore, top trump all of you.

I felt so happy when I found out about this, almost like a proud mother :D

So glad i was there to be part of it! Still curious to know what the exact number was :P

So glad i was there to be part of it! Still curious to know what the exact number was :P

i would like to know the exact number too,

Tre said 62,000 in a reply to a fan somehwhere .. cant remmeber where tho

London crowds are the best! which i was part of this achievement :P proud of them thought :D

Someone hacked NME's site. They wrote someting good :lol:

Great achievement. I make that their top 4 gigs in the uk now.

Wembley - don't know but probably around 60,000 or more.

The two Milton Keynes gigs 65,000 two nights in a row

and this one.

In Wembley they had around 70 000 people

Im a part of HISTORY !!!!!!!!!!! :D

Did you change your profile pic recently? Because I saw you at Emirates (I think everybody noticed you) and would have said hi if I'd known you were a GDCer, only I didn't recognise you.

Archived