GDA Editorial/POLL: Top 10 most meaningful lyrics from the trilogy albums

Jack

Most Meaningful Trilogy Lyric  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In a few hours, I'll be posting an editorial on GDA: the top ten trilogy lyrics that I consider to be the most meaningful. You'll be able to view my picks, and vote for your favorite in the poll above!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hanging out all by myself, at least I'm in good company.

Not really super meaningful but its pretty clever.

Honestly? None of them is between "my" most meaningful lyrics, I'm sorry :lol: But I like your idea :)

I feel that DRB could have been such a great song, if they only used the lyrics that appeared on Quatro. It fit so well. The final cut doesn't even have the phrase "dirty rotten bastards" anywhere like we've seen on the lyric sheets; it seems like there has to be a part 2 to this song for there to be any context.

Those were some great picks; the lyrics in the trilogy really had a depth, there are so many times I hear those songs and just stop to think "da-amn that's a good line". :happy:

Honestly? None of them is between "my" most meaningful lyrics, I'm sorry :lol: But I like your idea :)

Obviously these picks aren't everyone's favorites. That's why we have this topic. Share your favorites.

I just remembered one of my favourites: "life's a gas and it's running out".

'I finally lost touch cause you're so out of reach' is my favourite lyric from the trilogy.

However overall I think the trilogy contains some of Green Day's weakest lyrics to date with too many clichés, predictable lines, and lines which show a lack of thought, 'I've been running wild like a runaway', seriously? There are some very good songs, just too many 'filler' tracks which just repeat verses or use lines that just aren't interesting.

Obviously these picks aren't everyone's favorites. That's why we have this topic. Share your favorites.

I actually started doing my own list as soon as I read his one :happy: but I didn't know this thread was for this... gonna post it when ready!

And you went searching your soul / and you got lost and out of control / you went over the edge of joking / died of a broken heart. - i play X-Kid on repeat just to hear that line sometimes. Really breaks my heart, particularly when thinking of Billie Joe's recent problems.

Also, there is a throw-back to this in Sex, Drugs and Violence as well. "I've been getting lost / searching my soul all around this town"

Dirty Rotten Bastards - "We're the retarded..."

I just have to say that the band is doing the same thing in 8 years becoming so predictable! Now that they do something really new, young, inspiring and pretty punk rock like the trilogy... they are just in focus on Dookie and old material, something that I red (21st CB era), that they do not wanted to do as band... always look forward, not back they said... well, why there is no Kill the Dj or Ashley or DRB or Rusty James... and etc etc from this new albums? I thought at first that the new 99 Revolutions tour was having 15-20/37 new songs. That is what fans wanted to listen to! At least hardcore GD fans, and not a setlist for festivals all the time with the same old shit as always, with only worldwide hits... kinda dissapointed because the same band is underrating themselves only because of the sales failure which is stupid

I feel that DRB could have been such a great song, if they only used the lyrics that appeared on Quatro. It fit so well. The final cut doesn't even have the phrase "dirty rotten bastards" anywhere like we've seen on the lyric sheets; it seems like there has to be a part 2 to this song for there to be any context.

I could honestly throw dozens of their songs at you that doesn't contain the title in the lyrics. I adore this titular reference as well, and I don't know why it was cut, maybe it didn't work as well as it looked on the sheet? We couldn't possibly hear it from there perspective. But anyways, it hardly takes any context away from the song, the title still fits the overall theme very well. It's not like you go "what the hell does this title has to do with anything?." It's clear that the song is about mid-life crisis and not be willing to let go of your youth, even though your crazy, life-bending, behaviour is a little overdue. It's like the thing Billie once explained about the transition between an angry young man and a bitter old bastard.

"Sodom and Gomorrah in the century of thrills"

"I'm a nuclear bomb and it won't be long till I detonate"

"You're numb to your old glory, but now it's gone"

"She gave up on Jesus for living on Venus, all fucked up with nowhere to go."

I can honestly say that the first time i heard the trilogy i wasn't too impressed, but after i spent a day listening to each of the albums front to back, i gained a new respect for billie as a song writer. There are many songs i can relate too in the trilogy but my favourite lyrics would have to be from X-Kid..." Hey, little kid did you wake up late one day? your not so young, but your still dumb and your numb to your own glory, but now its gone"

"She gave up on Jesus for living on Venus, all fucked up with nowhere to go."

I really like this one...

I voted for #7. But I also really love #1.

The trilogy is filled with some great lyrical moments. Some lyrics that I really like not included in the list include:

Stay The Night

I've got an impulse so repulsive that it burns / I wanna break your heart until it makes your stomach turn

Missing You

Waking up feeling naked / In my clothes, inside a room that’s vacant

Lazy Bones

I'm too mental to go crazy I'm too drunk to be pure / And my mind is playing tricks on me And I can't sleep tonight cause I'm so tired.

Anything from Lazy Bones or X-Kid is pretty amazing. There's very strong lyrics in both of those songs.

The beginning and bridge of X-Kid is very meaningful and personal, which is great.

Hanging out all by myself, at least I'm in good company.

Not really super meaningful but its pretty clever.

It's been in my signature for about a month now

Here are some others I like:)

"When you fall you're gonna need a parachute or use a pair of shoes to go and walk away"

"I'm too tired to be bored, Im too bored to be tired"

"Sex, drugs and violence, english, math and science"

"Serious people are funny to me, funny people seem so serious"

"The scar remain reminds me that I'm still living"

"It's really not worth the fight no one's right"

"Don't look away from the arms of love"
"Gonna ride the world like a merry-go-round"

"Your heart can't even break when it doesn't even pound"

"Dance forever under the lights"

I hate to sound like a bitch, but there is only one Trilogy lyric that I think is truly beautiful and it's "How long is this brutal love?". For me, it really expresses the continuation of an unhealthy relationship that goes nowhere, but is difficult to leave altogether. I don't think it applies only to human relationships; it could be an addiction, or a state of mind. You may be strongly attached to a particular feeling or place, however debilitating or limiting it may be, but instead of actively doing something about it, you wait for circumstances to force you out of the relationship. In its literal sense, I've always felt like the key change at the end with the repetition of "How long is this brutal love?" could signify the long slow process of waiting for a partner to die, because you simply couldn't stand to leave them yourself.

I hate to sound like a bitch, but there is only one Trilogy lyric that I think is truly beautiful and it's "How long is this brutal love?". For me, it really expresses the continuation of an unhealthy relationship that goes nowhere, but is difficult to leave altogether. I don't think it applies only to human relationships; it could be an addiction, or a state of mind. You may be strongly attached to a particular feeling or place, however debilitating or limiting it may be, but instead of actively doing something about it, you wait for circumstances to force you out of the relationship. In its literal sense, I've always felt like the key change at the end with the repetition of "How long is this brutal love?" could signify the long slow process of waiting for a partner to die, because you simply couldn't stand to leave them yourself.

I really hate to be the one to tell you this, but I'm pretty sure that he sings "How low is this brutal love."

There. I did it. I shattered your favorite lyric.

'this time i've gotta put my guard down and pick myself up off the ground and take the pain'

actually i really like the lyrics from Walk Away, the Forgotten, X-Kid & Lazy Bones. those are my favorites.

'this time i've gotta put my guard down and pick myself up off the ground and take the pain'

actually i really like the lyrics from Walk Away, the Forgotten, X-Kid & Lazy Bones. those are my favorites.

I love Walk Away, a lot.

'I dont wanna be an imbecile, but Jesus made me that way'

I like this line a lot!

Well time comes around and I'm not so naive, I finally lost touch coz you're so out of reach....

Archived