SotW: She

Carrot

"She" is the eighth track off of Green Day's 1994 release "Dookie" and was the thirteenth track on their 2011 live cd/dvd "Awesome As Fuck". The song is a little over 2 minutes, like the majority of their songs. The song was written by Billie Joe about an ex-girlfriend. The song was released as a radio only single in 1995. "She" came in at 5th on the US Modern Rock Chart and 18th on the US Mainstream Rock Charts.

The song was written about an ex-girlfriend of Billie Joe. She wrote a poem about him with a similar title. Armstrong then wrote the song to her. They broke up shortly after. The girl Billie talks about shows up in songs like "Sassafras Roots", "Chump", "Whatsername", and "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)". At one of Green Day's secret shows at Red 7 before they played "Amanda", Billie Joe stated the following about a reoccurring dream about a girl.

"So this reoccurring dream happened and it started with this song called She, and then it kinda traveled to another song um called, uh, fucking, what the fuck was it? It was on Insomniac (goes on trying to remember song name) And then it traveled all this way over to American Idiot to this song called Whatsername. And now it's traveled all this way and I say fuck it, I'm gonna name the girl, fuck it, it's been fucking 19 years ago this song's called Amanda."

With that being said, the person Billie is talking about in "She" was possibly a girl named "Amanda".

Fast Fact: In 1994 during the Dookie Tour, Billie performed the song naked.

Personally, this song is one of my favorites off of Dookie. With that catchy bass line and drum duo in the intro. Then kicks in with that distinct distorted guitar that everyone knows about. Also probably one of the first Green Day songs I've heard.

Why did I want to write this OP? Because this song is truly amazing. This song is amazing live. When they played it live in Pittsburgh on Easter, the whole pit exploded. I was everywhere when they played it. I've loved this song for as long as i could remember. My parents bought the CD, that got handed down to my brother, then to my sister, then to me, and hopefully to my kids and my grandchildren. So in all, this song is awesome. I can see myself listening to this song in 30 years and looking back on the days of 2013.

Oh, how could i forget, the lyrics:

She...
She screams in silence
A sullen riot penetrating through her mind
Waiting for a sign
To smash the silence with the brick of self-control

[Chorus:]
Are you locked up in a world
That's been planned out for you?
Are you feeling like a social tool without a use?
Scream at me until my ears bleed
I'm taking heed just for you

She...
She's figured out
All her doubts were someone else's point of view
Waking up this time
To smash the silence with the brick of self-control

[Chorus]

EHHHHHH,AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

[Chorus]

The live performance comes from a concert in 1994 that aired on MTV, "Jaded In Chicago". One of the best Green Day performances ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkySGM7gysg

You worry, You worry, You worry, You worry, You worry, You worry, You worry, You worry. :lol:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorite songs ever!! I love this song with my life, it feels like this song was wrote about me, i just love it :wub:

Quite possibly my favorite Green Day chorus. Mike Dirnt's harmony is the very definition of ear sex.

Awesome song with an amazingly catchy chorus. Enough said.

I guess it was either Stuart and the Ave or Westbound Sign.

Stuart (from what Billie said to Guitar World) since westbound sign is bout 80

One of my favorites off of Dookie. Nice write-up! :D

Awesome song.

And great to see the story that´s been going all the way from Dookie to iTre! :)

I really love the arrangement they use live. I've seen it performed live 3x in person and it's better every time.

Both Billie Joe and Mike jump on their respective platforms, Mike enters with the bass, Billie Joe gets the crowd going with a "hey oh", and so it begins!

This song is incredibly pretty. Not beautiful: that's just not the right word. Pretty. The lyrics are so poetic and tender. The music, while typically representative of classic Green Day, is heavily melodic and light. And the live performances are sensational. When Billie Joe screams "to smash the silence with the brick of self control" during the second verse, it translates perfectly all the sentiments explored in the song.

When I saw this song live I cried. :cry:

I don't even have any sort of emotional attachment to it and it's not even one of my favorites (don't hate me!). I was like, "what the hell am I doing?" :lol: So now when I hear this song that's all I think about.

I guess it was either Stuart and the Ave or Westbound Sign.

It was Stuart and the Ave

She is my favorite Green Day song just after Scattered. this song is just insane! the bass, the drum, ... everything is perfect.

i wish i will be able to see this song live on day. and the Chicago show is just epic :P

for those who wants the bla bla of high Billie at the beginning of the Chicago performance :lol:

oh god it's time i gotta say goodbye
i gotta say goodbye
i gotta say goodbye now i gotta say goodbye
im gonna go home and get on my big wheel
gonna get on my big wheel
now im gonna take on my bicycle
NO
im gonna take on my scooter
no my scooter
no im gonna take on my bicycle

im gonna get on my on my on my tunka truck
im gonna get on my tunka truck
im gonna take it
im gonna go down the strip, smash it up against the window
im gonna smash it up agaisnt the window YEAH I AM
im gonna go smash it up against one
cause i got a pet rock
i got a pet rock too
i got a pet rock that's really cool
i got a pet rock
it's more like a it's like a it's like a it's like a worry stone
it's a worry stone
you take it you worry, you worry, you worry, you worry, you worry,
you worry, you rub it, you worry, you worry, you worry, you worry, you worry,
you worry, you worry, you worry, you worry, you worry,
you worry, you worry, you worry, you worry, you worry
SHIT

This is a great song! I could never understand everything Billie is singing in it, though.:lol:

I seriously like this song more than any other single on Dookie (Longview, Basket Case, Welcome to Paradise, When I Come Around). Just pure Green Day.

It's a great song, definitely one of my favorites and I am so happy that I finally got to see it live! :D It's one of those songs that whenever it comes on, I always have to sing it out loud.

Its one of the best Green Day songs ever. Love the lyrics and is an incredible gem to watch live@

I think this is one of my favorite songs to play on GD Rockband :lol:

Even though I did not get picked I want to share a little excerpt from my own application with everyone

She is my favorite song of all time. Y’know that saying “Music is the language of the soul” well I believe Billie Joe’s hard-hitting and fast pace lyrics in “She” puts into words what is written the majority of teenage and young adults’ souls. Who hasn’t felt like they were “stuck in a world that’s been planned for you”? I believe that “She” epitomizes the punk-rock spirit of growing up and questioning what the fuck life is all about. This theme has been explored countless times in many Green Day songs. If you really think about it, the song pretty much explains the basis of the Broadway musical American Idiot about three young men feeling stuck in their small town and then taking different paths to find what to do with their life.
I love the lyrics; especially “She, She screams in silence; the sullen riot penetrating through her mind” just for the sheer artistry of those lyrics. The lyric “All her doubts were someone else’s point of view” also is one of those lyrics that hits many nerves and makes one think: what is your real point of view on things and what are outside views being pushed onto you.

Archived