Happy Birthday 21st Century Breakdown!

musso_kn

It's kind of sickening to hear people say that AI or Dookie weren't as special as this album. 21CB was a flop. Majorly. Fans had huge expectations and Green Day didn't deliver. To say that 21CB is on the same level as American Idiot, which brought Green Day flying back into the world, or Dookie, which brought punk rock into the mainstream and inspired hundreds of artists, is complete disrespect to Green Day. I'm not trying to be bitter, but it is just absolute FACT that 21CB does not come close to matching the power of those two records. Was 21CB a well-made album? Yes. Did a lot of work go into it? Yes. It's probably Green Day's most "artsy" album. I've never been one to discredit fans for liking newer Green Day music over the old, or the reverse. But to say that 21CB is better or as good as landmark albums like Dookie and AI is to fully kid yourself. 21CB doesn't hold a candle to these works, albums that define who Green Day is. "Maximum Green Day" as they say.

21st is better than Dookie music and lyrically

And I was a fan of Dookie since 94...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's kind of sickening to hear people say that AI or Dookie weren't as special as this album. 21CB was a flop. Majorly. Fans had huge expectations and Green Day didn't deliver. To say that 21CB is on the same level as American Idiot, which brought Green Day flying back into the world, or Dookie, which brought punk rock into the mainstream and inspired hundreds of artists, is complete disrespect to Green Day. I'm not trying to be bitter, but it is just absolute FACT that 21CB does not come close to matching the power of those two records. Was 21CB a well-made album? Yes. Did a lot of work go into it? Yes. It's probably Green Day's most "artsy" album. I've never been one to discredit fans for liking newer Green Day music over the old, or the reverse. But to say that 21CB is better or as good as landmark albums like Dookie and AI is to fully kid yourself. 21CB doesn't hold a candle to these works, albums that define who Green Day is. "Maximum Green Day" as they say.

I just find 21stCB better than Dookie lyrically and musically. Sure, Dookie brought Green Day (and arguably punk, as you said) into the mainstream, but that doesn't make it a better ALBUM. Plus, 21stCB is more my style anyway, so I love it a lot more than Dookie. :lol: Dookie isn't even in my top 5 GD albums. :ermm:

it's your opinion not a fact. yes it's a fact that AI and Dookie sold more and got more success than 21stCB but that's not a fact that's it was better, that's an opinion.

and to me AI > 21stCB > Dookie. lyrics in 21stCB brings me more than the one in Dookie, that's why it's a better album to me. and no i'm not disrespecting Green Day by saying that.

This is not only my favorite Green Day album but my favorite album of all time. I think that The Static Age is the most underrated song they have no one ever talks about it but it is my favorite song of all time. Pure amazingness. Best album ever by the best band ever. The feelings this album gives me... Just can't even describe them.

Well, people have different opinions. Some thinks that 21CB is like a landmark album like AI and Dookie. But there are also others, like you, who thinks it isn't that good.

Personally, I prefer 21CB over Dookie when it comes to lyrics and the music. There's just something about 21CB that makes me say "wow", y'know? I mean, it was written quite beautifully. And the arrangement is fantastic! I see it as a masterpiece, like AI. But of course, AI is still a bit better. :happy:

That's just my opinion, though. :) I don't see how having an opinion about GD's albums is considered an act of disrespecting them. Like Mike said, "Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one." :)

Agreed. And I don't want to start an argument in a thread that's supposed to show appreciation but yeah this album was kind of a mess in my opinion. This album, along with AI, is SUPPOSED to be great musically and lyrically, but that's not why I got hooked on their music. I liked the simplicity and humor that was in their early work. American Idiot was a surprise, but we didn't need a sequel, at least not right after AI. But anyways, I liked three songs from the album, and it's perfectly fine for others to like this album.

First Green Day album to come out after I became a fan. It was quite odd having to wait for music! and that's with any band, too. This was the first album that I actually waited for.

This is not only my favorite Green Day album but my favorite album of all time. I think that The Static Age is the most underrated song they have no one ever talks about it but it is my favorite song of all time. Pure amazingness. Best album ever by the best band ever. The feelings this album gives me... Just can't even describe them.

I feel like AAF didn't do The Static Age justice

Damn, this means tomorrow's the anniversary of their SNL episode. Is it weird I remember that more than the album release? :lol:

This album is excellent, I love you 21st Century Breakdown

Yay! One of my favorite albums! Happy birthday, 21st Century Breakdown! I love you!:wub:

2nd worst Green Day album. Dos being #1. The album felt forced and incencere. Recently tried listening to it and still don't care for it. Although I do love Last Night On Earth.

Happy Birthday 21 CB! I can't believe it is four years old already. God. I remember the night I stayed up to listen to it for the first time like it was yesterday!

I know it isn't very popular among many fans, but it is one of my absolute favorites. It is exquisitely written and pushed boundaries for Green Day's sound in ways that none of their other albums have.

This era was just a wonderful time to be a fan. It was so intimate for fans - the hype of AI was gone, leaving only those who really loved the band to stick around. I'll never forget how blown away I was by this album the first time I heard it. I'm still blown away. It is an excellent part of their catalog of music.

Happy birthday, beautiful 21CB. <3 :) I don't care what anyone else thinks of it, I think 21st Century Breakdown is amazing. American Idiot will always be my favourite, my number one love. :') AI was the album that introduced me to Green Day, it has gotten me through a lot of rough times and a lot of songs on AI have special meaning for me; I can really identify with the Jesus of Suburbia. But 21CB was the time when I really started getting into music and appreciating it more. I developed a deeper love for American Idiot around this time too, and 21CB was when I really fell in love with Green Day as a band, when I discovered all their other, older albums, and really discovered who they were. Basically when I discovered the full extent of their amazingness. :D I do agree that 21CB is underrated. It really doesn't get enough recognition for its brilliance, especially lyrically.

Happy birthday, beautiful 21CB. <3 :) I don't care what anyone else thinks of it, I think 21st Century Breakdown is amazing. American Idiot will always be my favourite, my number one love. :') AI was the album that introduced me to Green Day, it has gotten me through a lot of rough times and a lot of songs on AI have special meaning for me; I can really identify with the Jesus of Suburbia. But 21CB was the time when I really started getting into music and appreciating it more. I developed a deeper love for American Idiot around this time too, and 21CB was when I really fell in love with Green Day as a band, when I discovered all their other, older albums, and really discovered who they were. Basically when I discovered the full extent of their amazingness. :D I do agree that 21CB is underrated. It really doesn't get enough recognition for its brilliance, especially lyrically.

For lyrical under-appreciation, I think Restless Heart Syndrome, Before the Lobotomy, and Viva La Gloria (Little Girl?) are some of the best Billie Joe has ever written. Of course, Green Day's lyrics don't have to be pieces of art to be artistic genius (Governator wants some recognition :P) but everything seemed so meticulously crafted on 21CB.

Album came out the day before I graduated from college. I remember buying it, then being really annoyed I had to attend graduation practice before I could listen to it. Say what you want about the album, the tours that came out of it were the three best Green Day shows I've ever seen, ridiculous energy and awesome song selection.

Ooh, for fuck's sake some of you...

because most of Green Day fans prefer AI or Dookie to this album. but seriously all three are pretty awesome and 21stCB deserve as much gratitude as AI or Dookie. well in my opinion. :P that's why it's kind of underrated even if it wins a grammy.

Dookie and AI did something that 21CB didn't do so I don't think it deserves as much gratitude as those two. I just read that these this album sold $4 million worldwide, received awards and other accolades. Just because it isn't as big as Dookie or AI doesn't mean it's underrated.

If you want to argue about this, FINE. Just go to unpopular opinions thread.

No.

Fuck off?

Who says happy birthday to an album

Exactly. I don't even...

Weirdos.

People have made such topic for Kerplunk and Dookie. That's where I got the idea from. I don't remember any stupid fucking comments there. Hmmm...

Again, if you want to talk about this, go to the unpopular opinions thread. Don't fucking spam (which is effectively what you're doing) an album anniversary thread.

Fuck off?

People have made such topic for Kerplunk and Dookie. That's where I got the idea from. I don't remember any stupid fucking comments there. Hmmm...

Again, if you want to talk about this, go to the unpopular opinions thread. Don't fucking spam (which is effectively what you're doing) an album anniversary thread.

sorry you're so uptight about a joke and for clogging up your thread with masses of spam bye bye.

I'm a bit late too, I remembered last month, that it had come out in May, but promptly forgot again.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY 21ST CENTURY BREAKDOWN.

Although American Idiot is my favourite (as a whole album), most of the songs on this are just soooo goooood (Viva La Gloria! / Title Track / Peacemaker / Last of the American Girls / Restless Heart Syndrome / American Eulogy / See The Light / 21 Guns / The Static Age , in fact, the only one that lets it down a bit is Last Night on Earth (I just find this one rather boring for a Green Day song), and I'm not keen on the 'shouty' bits on Horseshoes and Handgrenades.

Now that I've got over the newness of the trilogy releases, I would say this is the album I am playing most at the moment.

im sorry Warning still is the most underrated Green Day album, and 21CB is one of their best with Warning of course!! :P

You misspelled opinion. It's actually O-P-I-N-I-O-N not F-A-C-T, common mistake though so don't beat yourself up over it.

Fuck off?

Lol.

Archived