SotW: Are We The Waiting

GenesisJames

"Are We The Waiting" is the fifth song off of Green Day's seventh studio album American Idiot (eighth, if we're considering Shenanigans an official studio album), which is also their first rock opera that they have created. The lyrics to "Are We The Waiting" were written by Billie Joe Armstrong. Although not released as a single, "Are We The Waiting" is seriously noteworthy due to its impact on the character development of the Jesus Of Suburbia / St. Jimmy and on the story of the album as a whole.

Although the meaning of the song is said in the live version of the song that's posted with this write-up, I'll post it here. Bille describes the song as the time where the Jesus of Suburbia is losing is mind and at his most vulnerable state. I also think this, but I interpret it a little further. I consider it as representing the feeling of isolation and confusion about struggling in modern society and pursuing goals, as well as false promises and hopes that leaders provide to their people. This can be seen throughout the song, as it describes an undesirable city, as stated in the line, "This dirty town is burning down in my dreams". This shows how the leaders don't truly keep to many promises regarding imporving the life of the citizens.

This song is actually my favorite Green Day song, and I relate to it quite a bit. I remember listening to it all those years ago, when my dad first introduced me to Green Day. I, like the Jesus of Suburbia, also occasionally feel isolated. However, this is more like psychological isolation for me. I sometimes feel alone in my beliefs and opinions, and I sometimes find myself somewhat cynical and distrusting with people. I basically wanted to express my opinions and the love of my favorite Green Day song.

Overall, this song is very important in the story of American Idiot. This is mostly because this song symbolizes the transition from the Jesus of Suburbia to St. Jimmy, as this song is basically the beginning of when he realizes that he is sick of how he's living and wants to change that. The repeating of the phrase "Are we we are / Are we we are the waiting" basically symbolizes how the people are waiting for change to happen, but aren't trying to achieve the success and freedom themselves. Although it's not really Green Day's usual style of music, I would definitely refer this song to anybody who wants to hear a Green Day song. This is purely because of the emotional appeal, the fantastic story-telling, and just because of how much it means to me.

Lyrics:

Starry nights, city lights coming down over me
Skyscrapers and stargazers in my head
Are we we are, are we we are the waiting unknown
This dirty town is burning down in my dreams
Lost and found, city bound in my dreams

And screaming
Are we we are, are we we are the waiting
And screaming

Forget me nots and second thoughts live in isolation
Heads or tails, fairytales in my mind
Rage and love, story of my life
The Jesus of Suburbia is a lie

And screaming
And screaming
And screaming

Here's one of, if not my favorite live version of the song. It also includes St. Jimmy, but whatever. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfvto7op3vQ

This song really rocks when you're just stargazing or looking at the skyline #awesome

I love this song so much :wub:

Great job on the OP James :thumbsup:

Thanks Katie. :D

I love this song :happy:

It's too bad that this song hasn't a video :mellow:

I loved hearing this song live <3 Ughh hearing Tre's drums like that is a crazy experience!

I love this song. It's so beautiful!:wub:

Nice OP James, I also love this song to death.

I love this song, especially when it's live, it's perfect :wub:

When I first heard American Idiot back around 04/05 this was one song that stood out to me instantly. Fair enough, the untypical drumbeat is easy to remember, and the chorus is fairly catchy but I think it was for more than that.

My fav line is easily "the rage and love story of my life, the Jesus of Suburbia is a lie"

and of course for those who have seen the musical this part is just fantastic.

it always was a skip-track for me. i thought it was quite boring. but some songs are just a love at the 2nd or 3rd sight. it took me 8 years to realize how perfect this song is! now it is one of my favourite green day songs ever. i think the turning point was, when i was in a quite melancholic mood and watched the AI documentary again and came to the part where billie sings are we the waiting in the studio... it kind of hit me there. there is so much more in this song than i thought at first. and i love those moments where you can develop a completly new connection to a song you never liked that much. often those are the songs that stick with you for the rest of your life; rarely the ones we love when hearing them the first time.

This is one of my favorite songs from AI for sure. I think it's really beautiful and I always picture listening to it underneath the stars...it sounds cheesy, but it looks cool in my head :P

This is one of my favorite songs from AI for sure. I think it's really beautiful and I always picture listening to it underneath the stars...it sounds cheesy, but it looks cool in my head :P

I second that.

This song is amazing, from American Idiot :wub: But I feel it's the only one that's different from the rest. It's like he's telling a poem with music on the background. And Billie always dedicates it to Jimmy :happy:

But one day something happened that almost ruined the song forever for me :mellow: Luckly it didn't.

One of my favourite songs ever. And the inspiration for my tattoo. When I heard it live I was hit by goosebumps and overcome with emotion. Love it!

Didn't like it too much at first, but really grew on me!

This song is THE song that sparked my love of GD, and so definitely holds a special place in my heart!

Ever since somebody asked me "how does squirrels break up with each other? -forget-me-nuts" that's all I imagine in my head during the second verse of this song. That verse is all about squirrels to me.

Besides that I love the song, but in a way it's kind of an interlude on the album, or perhaps, as also hinted in BIAB, an introduction to St. Jimmy.

It's great but very repetitive, which serves its purpose but disables it from comparison to so many other great songs on the album.

I get emotional when I listen to this song, it's a similar caliber song to me as Give Me Novocaine. It's truly beautiful.

Archived