Billie Joe in SPIN's list of 25 Rock Deities

Jimmy Strummer

SPIN just put out this list of what they call "rock deities, rap messiahs, and would-be golden gods," all about musicians who claim to be equal to or bigger than some kind of religious figure (ie. John Lennon's "bigger than Jesus" remark, Kanye wanting to name one of his albums "I Am God," etc.). Billie Joe is #15 on the list, and here's how they explain why:

Granted, when Billie Joe Armstrong adopted the "Jesus of Suburbia" persona it was within the context of Green Day's American Idiot rock opera, but the truth-seeking messiah figure didn't arrive ex nihilo. "I think I'm digging up a lot of stuff in my psyche, like the whole 'Jesus of Suburbia' thing,' which isn't necessarily about me, but I feel like I had to go through a similar experience to be able to write from that standpoint," Armstrong cryptically told a biographer.

Tellingly, the frontman had been building toward playing the part for some time. Speaking about the lingering guilt he felt over possibly betraying his youthful punk ideals for stardom, Armstrong revealed in an interview earlier this year how he came to embrace his destiny as a fisher of pop-punk fans. "They wanted to have a good time, and it's okay to be a ringleader," Armstrong said. "All of that built up to American Idiot. It took me until I was 32 years old to actually speak for myself and do it with confidence." Good thing he got there. As he surely knows, sometimes 33 is too late.

Link to the whole list, starting with #1: http://www.spin.com/articles/bigger-than-jesus-rock-stars-god-kanye-west-beatles

Discuss...

That's so stupid. Billie Joe has never claimed to be as big as Jesus by writing Jesus of Suburbia. They just... don't get it.

i dont understand what they're saying, i'm confused.

I stopped trusting SPIN when they put Skrillex on their list of 100 greatest guitarists, and when they trashed The Gaslight Anthem's latest record. I just thought this was interesting to bring up.

I thought it was a list of awesome musicians who'll ~go down in history or be idolised by generations to come or something.

And then I was thoroughly disappointed.

I thought it was a list of awesome musicians who'll ~go down in history or be idolised by generations to come or something.

And then I thoroughly disappointed.

That's what I thought too until I read it :ermm:

Spin has been weird ever since they decided they were going to be a holier than thou Indie mag.

I like Spin, although I can never get their website to work, it never lets me scroll to the rest of the list.

You can't do the Jesus crucifixion pose onstage as often as Billie-Joe does and not get called out somewhere, come on.

If anything, he associates more with St. Jimmy, nevermind the fact that he played Jimmy on Broadway. In fact, despite saint being a religious title, it's quite obvious that St. Jimmy is the opposite of the Messiah - he closer embodies chaos.

Me too. This is just very very weird :lol:

I feel like I'm starting to be that one GDC member who's really good at making unintentionally-misleading topic titles.

I completely don't care about this article. I'm not even offended.

Obviously Billie should be number one. That's what's wrong with this list. He is THE "Rock Deity". Actually, I wouldn't even equate him to a deity. He's far beyond that in my eyes. Billie Joe Armstrong > God. That's right, I said it. Because that's what most of us are thinking.

That article is completely nonsensical.

I'm not denying the fact that the man is a rock god, but literally this article made my head spin from how awkwardly it is written.

• 2 weeks later...

Um, what's the point of this stupid list anyway? It just seems so pointless.

"Why are there no clouds in the sky? ... 'Cause God wants to watch his favorite band again!"

So yeah, Green Day, Billie Joe, God, all is linked!

Archived