Psy responds to Billie Joe comment on Instagram

JIGD13

She's kind of right, though. It's easy to see why anyone could take offence to cancer. Herpes is hardly that serious.

The comment was childish, silly, unnecessary and, above all, did give the impression Billie Joe was just looking for attention. Apart from that, it really isn't that offensive. A five year old could be more hurtful.

I just think it's bullshit to act all high and moral about being offended when someone makes fun of cancer and then go and just brush herpes off as something hilarious and totally cool to joke about.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think it's bullshit to act all high and moral about being offended when someone makes fun of cancer and then go and just brush herpes off as something hilarious and totally cool to joke about.

But she really isn't taking the moral high ground or being a hypocrite. Cancer is a serious, often terminal condition, so it is easy to see why people might not want to 'joke' about it. Herpes is an STI that gives you cold sores, common sense tells me. It's relative. Just because they're both diseases doesn't mean the mere mention of them warrants the same kind of serious response.

But she really isn't taking the moral high ground or being a hypocrite. Cancer is a serious, often terminal condition, so it is easy to see why people might not want to 'joke' about it. Herpes is an STI that gives you cold sores, common sense tells me. It's relative. Just because they're both diseases doesn't mean the mere mention of them warrants the same kind of serious response.

I don't know, they're both illnesses that can ruin your life. Herpes can be a lot more serious than just getting a cold sore and saying it's an STI doesn't really have anything to do with it. That says nothing. You can word things a certain way to make them sound bad, you know? Like if I said herpes is a trauamtizing infection and cancer is an illness you get from smoking. I am not trying to say cancer isn't serious or anything, I just think people should either make fun of things or don't, not go around playing God with which illness it is and isn't okay to poke fun at.

Edit: This is really off-topic hahaha. :lol:

I have to say I was surprised to hear Billie doesn't like PSY... Because I just assumed he would enjoy it, like I do. :P I don't see a reason to hate the dude when there are a bunch of rather irritating pop artists that just don't go away and are pretty much the same as the next one.

But it's not a big deal really. I thought that calling him the herpes of music was quite funny! :lol:

The last time I checked this was a Green Day fan/lover/addict site. So why is everyone beating down on Billie Joe and being so bitchy at him, while defending Psy?

Billie Joe has a right to express his opinion in any way he likes, and as fans, we should support him. We may disagree, I for one did not like a certain tweet of his from last year, but at the end of the day, we should accept his decisions.

Green Day is the reason I'm still here in this world, both physically and mentally. They kept me going when I felt like the whole world was against me, they were there for me when no one else was. They got me through really tough times. Most of you have probably been influenced by them in similar ways. So the least we can do in return is to stop bashing down on Billie Joe when he opens his mouth to utilize his first amendment right of free speech.

The last time I checked this was a Green Day fan/lover/addict site. So why is everyone beating down on Billie Joe and being so bitchy at him, while defending Psy?

Billie Joe has a right to express his opinion in any way he likes, and as fans, we should support him. We may disagree, I for one did not like a certain tweet of his from last year, but at the end of the day, we should accept his decisions.

Green Day is the reason I'm still here in this world, both physically and mentally. They kept me going when I felt like the whole world was against me, they were there for me when no one else was. They got me through really tough times. Most of you have probably been influenced by them in similar ways. So the least we can do in return is to stop bashing down on Billie Joe when he opens his mouth to utilize his first amendment right of free speech.

Totally agree. I mean, Billie meant it as a joke, and I thought it was pretty cute. Psy didn't see to really care one way or another. So why should we?

well who's being a cunt now?

Sorry but, still Jinx.

yeah and last time i checked you dont have to agree with everything they do or say either. If i dont like something Billie or one of the guys says im not gonna be a sheep and just blatently agree with it. They are my fav band doesnt mean i have to agree with every last thing or call them out on something. People are ''beating down'' on him as you say because some people thought it was childish but psy took it in his stride and didnt bitch back. Which i say fair fucking play

It was just a joke.
Not to be rude, but some of this thread makes me a little sad.

If i dont like something Billie or one of the guys says im not gonna be a sheep and just blatently agree with it.

Oh, for fuck's sake, get over yourself.

You really seem to be preoccupied with the notion that so many GDC users are arse kissers. If you read through the post you just quoted properly, I think you'll find she's not a 'sheep' and certainly doesn't agree with everything the band members do. She's simply stating that they, like all of us, are entitled to freedom of speech. It's true; he said it and we may disagree and challenge it, but this tiny, irrelevant comment hardly deserves thirteen pages, something I believe you were complaining (as usual!) about earlier.

Yeah, the fact that I love Green Day doesn't mean I should follow and agree with all Billie Joe's decisions. I'm not blindly following them with everything. I'm not a zombie. I'm thankful for them existing and I'm a huge fan/lover but this is a site to discuss anything about them, being either positive or negative. It's a place to express opinions in a respectful way. Bashing on songs like '21 Guns' in the Unpopular Opinion thread is the same thing as disagreeing with a comment Billie makes.

Psy really "killed him with kindness" didn't he?

I don't think Billie would look half as bad for saying this if Psy hadn't been so gracious in his response.

yeah and last time i checked you dont have to agree with everything they do or say either. If i dont like something Billie or one of the guys says im not gonna be a sheep and just blatently agree with it. They are my fav band doesnt mean i have to agree with every last thing or call them out on something. People are ''beating down'' on him as you say because some people thought it was childish but psy took it in his stride and didnt bitch back. Which i say fair fucking play

..She was talking about acceptance of the right to free speech and then you went about people riding Billie's dick.

She said this non-provocative, simple thing, and then you said this completely different, almost condescending other thing...

And combined, it just cancels out into this vortex of chaos and misunderstanding like what the hell

I think you should re-read what you just quoted, and then consider that that was a weird time to say that.

Bottom line is; it doesn't matter whatever kind of music you listen to, whenever your favorite artists insults another one, there's gonna be a bunch of hysterical fans crying over it. It"s NOT a big deal, c'mon guys, why won't somebody just shut this topic down for Christ's sake.

Seriously guys, Billie probably doesn't give a shit about Psy's reaction. He may not have even seen it. Can this thread just stop? It's turning into a bitchfest against each other rather than the actual topic itself.

If I were to post that comment on my twitter or instagram, no one would probably see it or give a shit about it. But because Billie is famous, he has some sort of moral responsibility to only say nice things? He can't bash anyone? I don't think so. His comment was stupid, and funny, and just another opinion in the vast world of social media '140 characters or less' opinions. Remember Billie's tweets about Justin Bieber (something like "at least i'm old enough to fuck!") That was hilarious! But then he later deleted those tweets. Why? He shouldn't have to delete his stupid tweets. Let him say what he wants! Anyone else in the world could say these same things, but if Billie says it -oh no you must be a nice perfect person you can't say that.

Green Day have never been ones to be polite and well-mannered gents. They grew to fame with their snotty, bratty, fuck you opinionated songs. How could a comment like this come to such surprise?

Billie doesn't give a shit about Psy. Psy doesn't give a shit about Billie. What is there to argue about? If anything the fucking media is the instigator here.

The past few pages have been mostly aimed at members and arguing. Is this thread really worth it?

I'm not trying to be confrontational here, I'm really not but I think that was Billie's whole point; this guy is not a singer or a musician, he's just some clown who has sullied the art. Billie is music, it's basically his whole life and to see this guy use music to gain fame when he really has no talent, it's kind of insulting to someone who cares so much about good music. Psy and other "pop stars" like him violate everything that Billie holds as sacred. Not trying to justify his comments just trying to give some perspective.

It's not like he has the right to say who's an artist and who is not, what's music and what's not just because he isn't into that genre. Insulting other artists and saying 'please go away' was still unnecessary and childish, even if he was just expressing his opinion.

Seriously guys, Billie probably doesn't give a shit about Psy's reaction. He may not have even seen it. Can this thread just stop? It's turning into a bitchfest against each other rather than the actual topic itself.

If I were to post that comment on my twitter or instagram, no one would probably see it or give a shit about it. But because Billie is famous, he has some sort of moral responsibility to only say nice things? He can't bash anyone? I don't think so. His comment was stupid, and funny, and just another opinion in the vast world of social media '140 characters or less' opinions. Remember Billie's tweets about Justin Bieber (something like "at least i'm old enough to fuck!") That was hilarious! But then he later deleted those tweets. Why? He shouldn't have to delete his stupid tweets. Let him say what he wants! Anyone else in the world could say these same things, but if Billie says it -oh no you must be a nice perfect person you can't say that.

Green Day have never been ones to be polite and well-mannered gents. They grew to fame with their snotty, bratty, fuck you opinionated songs. How could a comment like this come to such surprise?

Billie doesn't give a shit about Psy. Psy doesn't give a shit about Billie. What is there to argue about? If anything the fucking media is the instigator here.

The past few pages have been mostly aimed at members and arguing. Is this thread really worth it?

I partially agree...

But this thread shouldn't be closed, if only for the sake of 'freedom of speech'.

tumblr_mjmeot6Wbv1rqf5p6o2_400.gif

I changed my profile picture to one of my mom in honor of mothers day. my mom died when I was 9. She didn't die of cancer or herpes, she had a heart attack. People make jokes all the time about heart disease, heart attacks (you might be too young to remember the bit they used to do on SNL with the Fat Chicago Bears fans who would regularly have on air heart attacks and then beat themselves in the chest to clear the blockage) I am not offended. It's a joke. You need to view it in its context.

Be nice.

Sorry, Flo. I know the rules and all, but you know I never start shit. This dude is being a dick to my friend, when she didn't even do anything to him. I'm not gonna just sit here while she gets cursed at.

It's not like he has the right to say who's an artist and who is not, what's music and what's not just because he isn't into that genre. Insulting other artists and saying 'please go away' was still unnecessary and childish, even if he was just expressing his opinion.

He does not have the "right" to state his opinion?! There are all kinds of wrong wrapped up in that response. I don't think it has anything to do with genre and everything to do with the fact that his songs are annoying as fuck ( in my opinion and apparently in Billies opinion too but see that's his right.) you have a right to disagree.

...why are there 13 pages of discussion about this?

No one knows , ....... No one knows

The whole thread is now a bitch fight ..... Time to close it admins before things get out of hand ?

And it will get out of hand :lol:

Archived