Psy responds to Billie Joe comment on Instagram

JIGD13

eh people can listen to whatever the fuck they want man.

Why is this thread still alive :lol:

Oo yes, I'm not against people listen to music that I don't like. But I just HATE this Gangnam Style, and it's 1 hit, after a few years, you don't hear anything about it. I rather want to see people listen to some good music with real instruments, and not just a cowboy dance :)

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oo yes, I'm not against people listen to music that I don't like. But I just HATE this Gangnam Style, and it's 1 hit, after a few years, you don't hear anything about it. I rather want to see people listen to some good music with real instruments, and not just a cowboy dance :)

Your last sentence contradicts your first sentence.

~~Good music with instruments~~ is your preference, it's not for everyone. Gangnam Style was a fun song for many people, don't be so uptight about it, man :)There's nothing wrong with one hit wonders, if the song fizzles out over time, what of it? Let people enjoy what they want to enjoy.

Agreed. And it's quite amusing that it is :lol:, I like that Billie and Psy's offhand comments riled people up so much.

It really is :lol:

Your last sentence contradicts your first sentence.

~~Good music with instruments~~ is your preference, it's not for everyone. Gangnam Style was a fun song for many people, don't be so uptight about it, man :)There's nothing wrong with one hit wonders, if the song fizzles out over time, what of it? Let people enjoy what they want to enjoy.

I agree, it's everyone's opinion :) But it's not my opinion, so :P I hate it! So i've got to complain about that korean cowboy :P

I agree, it's everyone's opinion :) But it's not my opinion, so :P I hate it! So i've got to complain about that korean cowboy :P

It's totally your right to hate it, don't get me wrong, I just don't like it when I see the attitude that everyone has to listen to only ~~good music

whatever that means :P

Two things I don't get

1. When people talk about the "good old days" of music, as if catchy songs with meaningless lyrics didn't exist before the 21st century

2. When people say that songs like Gangnam Style are just meaningless, catchy tunes

Here's an article, I don't know, read it if you want. It's a bit long.

"PSY makes subtle yet probing jabs at capitalistic, class-concerned Seoulites who will spend more money on a fancy cup of Starbucks coffee than an inexpensive, instant-noodle dinner. Max Fisher

points this out in his detailed assessment of the video in The Atlantic.

PSY’s video caricature of a typical “Gangnam guy” (oppa is the Korean word for older brother, which is used colloquially as an affectionate term for male friends) likes “a classy girl who knows how to enjoy the freedom of a cup of coffee.” This line may be confusingly simple to American or European audiences for whom coffee drinking is an ingrained, routine part of life. A girl who drinks coffee? That could include my grandmother or agitated boss. Not so in Korea, where expensive chain cafes (whose parent companies tend are often times international conglomerates such as Samsung, LG, and Hyundai) are a marker of wealth, a westernized lifestyle, and an ability to spend six dollars on a cup of coffee. The Gangnam guy in PSY’s video likes a girl with money, or at least one who likes to pretend she does.

But where the social commentary really shines through is in the satirical depictions of the “Gangnam guy,” who dresses in a funny suit but never smiles, gawks at women in an outdoor yoga class, and hangs out in a sauna with tattooed gangsters (while wearing oversized sunglasses). As he attempts to dance his way down garbage-strewn streets with gorgeous women or observes old men playing baduk (a traditional Korean boardgame), he’s always dressed well, taking himself a little too seriously. He’s making a mockery of the cold, chiseled look that is typically associated with Gangnam guys, from magazine models to mainstream K-Pop artists. This satirical depiction of wealthy young men is universally humorous, the same way Austin Powers and Mr. Bean straddle language barriers and cultural confines."

I don't know, sometimes I think people just dismiss Gangnam Style as meaningless just 'cause they don't understand the lyrics and they assume a popular, viral song can't have any meaning.

Wow, I really killed the conversation in here didn't I?

My bad

:lol:

How embarrassing

:P

Yeah, the idea is that once there's nothing else to say on a subject the conversation ends and the thread goes away. If you don't have anything worthwhile and on topic to post then don't post.

Archived