Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Khaleesi.

'Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Explains Why He Hates Fat Chicks'

Khaleesi.

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/abercrombie-fitch-ceo-explains-why-he-hates-fat-chicks/

This article is absolutely disgusting. It's all about how CEO Mike Jeffries actively works to ensure that 'fat' and 'ugly' people don't shop in his stores, stating 'fat chicks will just never be a part of the “in” crowd.' The stores do not carry any XL or XXL sizes, and their jeans only go up to a size 10. He even says he only employs good looking people, so they will attract other good looking people, and only good looking people will wear the brand.

“He doesn’t want larger people shopping in his store, he wants thin and beautiful people,” Lewis said. “He doesn’t want his core customers to see people who aren’t as hot as them wearing his clothing. People who wear his clothing should feel like they’re one of the ‘cool kids.’”

“In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids,” he told the site. “Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely. Those companies that are in trouble are trying to target everybody: young, old, fat, skinny. But then you become totally vanilla. You don’t alienate anybody, but you don’t excite anybody, either,” he told Salon.

A quick google search suggests that this douche shouldn't even be wearing his own brand....

What do you guys think?

Hayley

220px-Mike_Jeffries.jpeg

What a babe..

chewychorizo

too bad Abercrombie clothes are a pile of shite anyway

Comrade

So what though? Unless there is a real medical issue there is very little excuse to be 'fat'. So a brand wants to market itself to the 'slim pretty' people? Let them. Most brands are about demographic exclusivity. The entire cosmetics industry exists to capitalise on peoples' insecurities in the name of achieving a more beautiful image. He's hardly a vision of perfection, but at least this guy is cutting the crap and telling it how it is. He likes his version of beauty. He wants his clothes worn by his version off beautiful people. It's a smart business plan to not just target one market, but identify and create your own and make that it's own 'thing.' He ain't the first to say it and he won't be the last. Trying to please everyone is a waste of time and money.

And have you been in a Hollister store? Aside from the fact it is so dark you bump into the tables, the staff are half of the draw to the place. They're all gorgeous. I'm happy to spend 10 minutes browsing in a room full of gorgeous women. I'd not buy Hollister - not my style - but I'll sure as hell breathe their air. That is awesome marketing. If people don't like it, don't buy the product, don't go in the stores. Don't make yourself excluded by their vision.

At the end of the day why can't jocks have their own brand and culture? Surely for them not to would be a form of exclusion of it's own? I always hated the A&F kids, but it kept them away from me and banded together.

musso_kn

What an arsehole. Hope this loses him some business.

Besides which, his marketing logic is totally flawed. Targerting 'cool' kids will technically still attract the 'uncool' kids who want to be 'cool'. Since when do clothing companies advertise deliberately using 'unattractive', 'uncool' (both of which happen to be totally subjective terms) people anyway? He isn't really differentiating himself at all.

Ridiculously shallow (but that's corporate America...) and just plain stupid. Wow.

inthehallwaynow

Im large and I wear ripped up shirts and baggy cargo pants with large black socks and i look like ive fallen out of dirt pile into a pile of mismatched clothes ..me and my other friends who are way better looking than me but would never shop there visited one of their stores and went in separately they both went in and nothing happend and then i went in and I asked if i was allowed to shop there as a joke knowing full well they dont like my kind around there haha and the people there said no haha i started to fake cry and my friends who were already in there acted like they didnt know me and yelled at the people working there for being rude hahah it was crazy we were told to leave... i dont really care what they do its not my type of clothing let them have it haha its been around forever why care now?

Khaleesi.

Im large and I wear ripped up shirts and baggy cargo pants with large black socks and i look like ive fallen out of dirt pile into a pile of mismatched clothes ..me and my other friends who are way better looking than me but would never shop there visited one of their stores and went in separately they both went in and nothing happend and then i went in and I asked if i was allowed to shop there as a joke knowing full well they dont like my kind around there haha and the people there said no haha i started to fake cry and my friends who were already in there acted like they didnt know me and yelled at the people working there for being rude hahah it was crazy we were told to leave... i dont really care what they do its not my type of clothing let them have it haha its been around forever why care now?

They said you weren't allowed to shop there? That's fucking stupid, and so wrong. It's one thing to try and deter people from shopping in your stores, but to actually tell them they aren't allowed to be in them? Absolutely ridiculous.

spark in the night

I've never shopped there, nor cared too. The CEO is an ugly dick who was probably picked on in school and now wants to channel his insecurities through his company. I'm an 'average' sized female who shops at Target, pays less for clothes and wears clothes that she feels comfortable in. Also, I can actually breathe when I walk into Target.

Hermione

What a pathetic excuse for a man. And as well as just being horrible isn't that kind of attitude pretty out of date and uncool these days? He's a fool if he thinks saying shit like that will be good for his company. Also only a mug would buy his boring overpriced clothes.

inthehallwaynow

They said you weren't allowed to shop there? That's fucking stupid, and so wrong. It's one thing to try and deter people from shopping in your stores, but to actually tell them they aren't allowed to be in them? Absolutely ridiculous.

it was strange i felt weird i wasn't surprised exactly but being told you cant shop somewhere does sting haha yea i got the "i dont think we have your size" which was true im sure so i guess they were helping me haha.. still rude maybe i was trying to buy a gift i guess id be allowed then..

fiercecircus

Can i write an Onion article about how much i hate Abercrombie and fitch?

there. I'm done. Fuck your fascist beauty standards.

elisa

Apparently he also wants his customers to be blind since those shops are so dark you can't see shit.

I have only been to one of those shops once and it was to return a gift.

fiercecircus

On my first day at Hot topic, they made you do a bunch of "training" stuff (learn where the shirts are by genre on the wall, quiz you about popular bands, and most importantly- made you go secret shop 3 other stores in the mall.)

For the secret shop, they give you a list of things to make notes about in the 3 stores you visit- mostly related to customer service, how quickly you were greeted, did anyone help you, etc. I forget what all of my 3 were, but i know one was Victoria's Secret. One of my most important notes was that nobody in VS took time to help me, and basically ignored me and were really snooty.

Never be a jerk to your customers. They are your paycheck.

How does this relate to this topic? i forget. but alienating people from your store is really stupid. Maybe you DON"T carry what they are looking for, but to say that people shouldn't shop there is really dumb. Maybe they'll buy christmas gifts there someday?

fiercecircus

"THIS BRAND IS FOR DOUCHEBAGS"

okay well great thanks for confirming.

JOE THE X-KID

This is what is wrong with the world!

Malleus

Sure he's a douchebag, but he's just making money. No real point in wasting your energy getting mad at some ugly guy who hates other ugly people, just don't support him and continue having a soul.

I don't really like A&F clothing, but I've probably had a couple hoodies from there throughout the years. I've never actually bought anything myself there, and don't really plan on it.

LazyPhil

Abercrombie sucks anyways

Undómiel

I would never be able to see what people looked like in their stores anyway, there always so fucking dark.

Or is that hollister? #allthesametome

Kayfabe

Fuck me, the guy looks like his face has been ran over repeatedly.

Nuclear Family

Fuck this guy. Now, if you're fat and out of shape, then I think you should do your best to get in shape... but only for your health and not so this asshole can make a shit ton of money off you.

Kayfabe

So what though? Unless there is a real medical issue there is very little excuse to be 'fat'. So a brand wants to market itself to the 'slim pretty' people? Let them. Most brands are about demographic exclusivity. The entire cosmetics industry exists to capitalise on peoples' insecurities in the name of achieving a more beautiful image. He's hardly a vision of perfection, but at least this guy is cutting the crap and telling it how it is. He likes his version of beauty. He wants his clothes worn by his version off beautiful people. It's a smart business plan to not just target one market, but identify and create your own and make that it's own 'thing.' He ain't the first to say it and he won't be the last. Trying to please everyone is a waste of time and money.

And have you been in a Hollister store? Aside from the fact it is so dark you bump into the tables, the staff are half of the draw to the place. They're all gorgeous. I'm happy to spend 10 minutes browsing in a room full of gorgeous women. I'd not buy Hollister - not my style - but I'll sure as hell breathe their air. That is awesome marketing. If people don't like it, don't buy the product, don't go in the stores. Don't make yourself excluded by their vision.

At the end of the day why can't jocks have their own brand and culture? Surely for them not to would be a form of exclusion of it's own? I always hated the A&F kids, but it kept them away from me and banded together.

You're right, the staff are so sexy. No amount of attractive in the world would make me buy their overpriced merchandise, but I appreciate tagging along with friends :wub:

I would never be able to see what people looked like in their stores anyway, there always so fucking dark.

Or is that hollister? #allthesametome

I swear they are literally the same. Abercrombie/Hollister/Gilly Hicks.

And then there's the UK version, Jack Wills :lol:

BringMoreKnives

Wow, what an obnoxious person. I hate that store anyway.

Cath

that's just so disgusting and stupid. i won't buy their stuff anymore after reading this that's awful.
i used to wear small and when i went to Abercrombie to buy a vest some years ago i needed a X large and i was like 15 and thin.
and that brand is so expensive.

Todd

y'know what? I buy my clothes at old navy, and there were a few times when people made a rude comment about my clothes. It hurts a little, but this really pisses me off. I have never wanted a&f clothes, I don't consider myself ugly, but most ugly people can't really control it, y'know? If he wants to reject ugly people from his stores, he's just losing (or keeping) his money. It's not really a big deal..

Fuck this. I don't even know where I stand on this. All I know is he's ugly, and I've never wanted to buy his clothes. None of those things affect me, so I don't care.

fukingcounterstrike

YEAH!!!