21st Century Breakdown vs The Trilogy

musso_kn

21st Century Breakdown vs. The Trilogy  

412 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It seems to me that there is a huge variety of opinions concerning everything Green Day has done since American Idiot.

Some people love everything, some people prefer the grandeur of 21st Century Breakdown while others like to kick back and relax with the trilogy. People have specific favourites within the trilogy. And that's doesn't cover even half of the thoughts concerning the band's new material.

I've put up a poll (just like with the AI vs 21 CB thread), because I'm really interested in quantifying the opinions to find out which recent album is the most popular, but also how many people absolutely love or absolutely hate everything.

My two cents? 21st Century Breakdown is definitely a winner: it's ambitious, varied, explores interesting subject matter and most of the songs are highly memorable, even if I don't absolutely love them. I like it as much as all the previous albums. However, the trilogy, on the whole, got boring very quickly, though there are some absolute beauties.

And because I'm OP, I say no, you can't fucking talk about the Foxboro Hottubs.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trying to be a hater or anything but I really haven't enjoyed an album since AI I like songs from all 4 albums post AI but haven't been able to enjoy an album as a whole. but thats just me.

Oh my god, I can't decide.

I will say I love all equally

I'm not gonna say I like one over the other but I consider 21CB their masterpiece. Now don't confuse that with Dookie or American Idiot being their most successful albums, I think those are probably always gonna be the best. But I think with 21CB, Green Day put more than they ever did into any album, I think it was the hardest and most complex album they've made to date and the trilogy to me was their chance to lay back and just have fun recording three albums.

I love it all equally, as cheesy as that may sound. When I first heard 21st Century Breakdown I must admit, I wasn't a fan. I think that's due to my naivety. I just wanted something fast paced and simple and couldn't comprehend the epic scale of that album. After a while, it grew on me. I began to understand the statement behind it, I found the lyrics incredible and fell in love with the record. I am also a huge fan on the trilogy. I can see why some people may dislike it, but I honestly believe songs like X-Kid, Brutal Love and Lazy Bones are quite simply some of the best Green Day has ever written. Especially X-Kid, I adore that song. I love the feel you get from the trilogy; it isn't perfect, and that adds a sort of freedom behind it.
21st Century Breakdown and the trilogy are two totally different albums. Each of them have a sense of direction as to where they are going, though. Both with different messages. I love all of Green Day's work, and I love seeing the change they have gone through across the years. Both of the albums branch out into new styles, and I respect that. I love both of them and feel they are too different to compare. The trilogy needs a lot more recognition, as it is a spectacular record.

Not trying to be a hater or anything but I really haven't enjoyed an album since AI I like songs from all 4 albums post AI but haven't been able to enjoy an album as a whole. but thats just me.

Nothing hater-ish about it! It's just an opinion after all. I really do feel that way about the trilogy. Most of it's pleasant enough, but I couldn't ever possibly find myself going, "hmm, I really, really want to hear that again!"

I love it all equally, as cheesy as that may sound. When I first heard 21st Century Breakdown I must admit, I wasn't a fan. I think that's due to my naivety. I just wanted something fast paced and simple and couldn't comprehend the epic scale of that album. After a while, it grew on me. I began to understand the statement behind it, I found the lyrics incredible and fell in love with the record. I am also a huge fan on the trilogy. I can see why some people may dislike it, but I honestly believe songs like X-Kid, Brutal Love and Lazy Bones are quite simply some of the best Green Day has ever written. Especially X-Kid, I adore that song. I love the feel you get from the trilogy; it isn't perfect, and that adds a sort of freedom behind it.

21st Century Breakdown and the trilogy are two totally different albums. Each of them have a sense of direction as to where they are going, though. Both with different messages. I love all of Green Day's work, and I love seeing the change they have gone through across the years. Both of the albums branch out into new styles, and I respect that. I love both of them and feel they are too different to compare. The trilogy needs a lot more recognition, as it is a spectacular record.

I must admit, the songs you name from the trilogy are amongst their best ever.

21stCB. It's all round just better. songwriting, tones, overall sound. And for those of you who who think it's over produced, it sounds that way because the recordings are so clear and sounds so full with the wall of guitar and bass combination and the echoing vocals make it that way. And those who hate it because it's just another rock opera are annoying. it's music, take in the sounds and enjoy the album rather than hating it because it has a meaning and it's not just random songs and lyrics like the trilogy.

21stCB. It's all round just better. songwriting, tones, overall sound. And for those of you who who think it's over produced, it sounds that way because the recordings are so clear and sounds so full with the wall of guitar and bass combination and the echoing vocals make it that way. And those who hate it because it's just another rock opera are annoying. it's music, take in the sounds and enjoy the album rather than hating it because it has a meaning and it's not

just random songs and lyrics like the trilogy.

Marry me.

I picked 21CB with Tre second. The former was the album on which I really discovered Green Day. I had listened to A.I.'s singles and The Saints Are Coming many times, but last Spring, I started playing the rest of AI, especially St. jimmy, upon finding out my dad had bought the album years ago (thanks, Dad!). After St. Jimmy, I repeated this discovery with 21CB, and had Static Age, Murder City and the title track on repeat for a month. The album has now become my most played Green Day album in the library - hard to argue with myself for that vote.

As for Tre, Dirty Rotten Bastards is my #3 all time favorite GD song (check my profile), and Brutal Love + X-Kid are masterpieces. I connect more to the trilogy, being that it's the first release I've followed through the whole process.

Honestly. I love it ALL equally. :DI can't really chose favourites but both the trilogy and 21stCBD are on the top of the list for me.

poor Dos doesn't have a vote yet lol

There's something big about 21st CB, it's great, awesome, as a piece of art, but honestly, I haven't listened to it for half a year. There's not much fun about the individual songs, there's nothing to keep me coming back.

Trilogy is ok. Uno is average, there are some great songs, some that are ok. Maybe three I'd skip. Dos is sucky. There's maybe three songs I wouldn't skip. Tre is great. I love it a lot, both as individual songs and as a whole.

There's something big about 21st CB, it's great, awesome, as a piece of art, but honestly, I haven't listened to it for half a year. There's not much fun about the individual songs, there's nothing to keep me coming back.

Trilogy is ok. Uno is average, there are some great songs, some that are ok. Maybe three I'd skip. Dos is sucky. There's maybe three songs I wouldn't skip. Tre is great. I love it a lot, both as individual songs and as a whole.

I do agree that iTRE! is the best of the trilogy. It flows well and has some fantastic songs, although Walk Away has my vote as the most terrible song in their catalogue.

I am also amazed (pleasantly surprised, though) that it seems there are so many people who love it all, even if I don't quite feel quite the same way.

I can't vote cause, as a whole, I enjoy the Trilogy more than 21st Century Breakdown. That's not to say 21st Century Breakdown isn't good, it really is, but I just feel more connected to The Trilogy and I personally enjoy it more.

poor Dos doesn't have a vote yet lol

But it has "love them equally" that counts.

But it has "love them equally" that counts.

technicalities well it has a vote now lol

I can't vote cause, as a whole, I enjoy the Trilogy more than 21st Century Breakdown. That's not to say 21st Century Breakdown isn't good, it really is, but I just feel more connected to The Trilogy and I personally enjoy it more.

Then just click on the "I love it all equally" option.

I voted for 21st Century Breakdown. I like the trilogy, but I don't love one of the 3 cds more than the others. I have my favorite songs on each album.

21st Century Breakdown is one of my favorite album, because I like the story behind it (like AI) and I love the music. :wub:

Then just click on the "I love it all equally" option.

No.

Honestly I prefer 21stCB since I'm not big into Green Day as I used to be. Not that i'm not completely hating the trilogy. I like X kid and majority of Uno!

No.

Would you vote if there was a "Trilogy as a whole" option versus including 21CB?

Basically I like Uno, Tre and 21st more or less equaliy.

I wasn't to happy about Dos, and I think that Lazy Bones and SWTRLF are my favs. Uno and Tre has a large amount of quality songs.

Archived