SotW: Ha Ha You're Dead

Jude O'Reilly

Ha Ha You’re Dead is the closing song for Green Day’s B-Sides, rarities and miscellaneous, and covers compilation album entitled Shenanigans released 2002. The song’s lyrics were solely written by Mike Dirnt. It is the only original song from Shenanigans the other 13 tracks being covers, or b-sides to previous singles released by the band.

The song is openly expressing Mike’s feelings of hate towards another individual. By breaking down the lyrics this person has obviously hurt many people. “You were an asshole” “How Many Feelings Can You Steal?” Mike’s hatred is strong enough to outweigh any feelings of guilt as he is openly laughing and enjoying this person's death literally or figuratively I am not sure. To me this song is just about being sick of dealing with someone elses shit and the feeling of them being gone is so strong and freeing. The song is also brutally honest and very relatetable to me.

On a personal note this song is very important to me, there have been people in my life (and everyone else's at some point I am sure) that I have been hurt by to the point of hatred. This song at times has been almost an anthem of sorts for me to channel my feelings towards these certain people in my life. Now that I have moved on from high school in retrospect when I think back on them and how I have overcame them and how they have no affect on my life anymore and I'll probably never see them again my first thoughts are Ha Ha You're Dead.

Ha Ha You’re Dead is one of only 3 Green Day songs to be solely written by Mike Dirnt the other two being J.A.R (Jason Andrew Relva) and Emenius Sleepus. (he has co-written others but these 3 he gets the sole credit for.) I believe it is a song that is often forgotten about and not given enough credit and should be in a lot more live setlists and its a high energy song that would be great performed live.

Looked for a live video but came up with nothing to my knowledge no live recording has been recorded so settled for a lyric video.

Lyrics
How do you get your sleep at night?
How did you get your noose so tight?
Like chewing on tinfoil its so much fun
Gonna be dead before your gone

'Cause look how things have gotten
And I'll be happy so I wont pretend
And I'll be cheering that you're going down
And I'll be laughing, I'll be laughing

How many feelings can you steal?
Gotta be part of your appeal
I can see through you cause you're wearing thin
Like chewing on tinfoil once again

'Cause look how things have gotten
And I'll be happy so I wont pretend
And I'll be cheering that you're going down
And I'll be laughing, I'll be laughing

(CHORUS):
Ha ha you're dead
And I'm so happy
In loving memory
Of your demise

When your ship is going down
I'll go out and paint the town
Ha ha you're dead
Ha ha you're dead
Ha ha you're dead

(CHORUS)

Ha ha you're dead
The joke is over
You were an asshole
And now you're gone
As your ship is going down
I'll stand by and watch you drown

Ha ha you're dead
You're gonna be dead
Just remember what I said
Ha ha you're dead
Ha ha you're dead
Ha ha you're dead

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice OP. The anger and resentment behind this song makes it a tremendously satisfying listen when I'm in a foul mood. I also like your idea that the death may be metaphorical, in that the object of hatred is alive, but has simply been removed from your life.

I'm sure that Mike wrote this song specifically for Tim Yohannan, though...

Nice!

It's a great song and you did a great job Jude :thumbsup::happy:

Nice OP. The anger and resentment behind this song makes it a tremendously satisfying listen when I'm in a foul mood. I also like your idea that the death may be metaphorical, in that the object of hatred is alive, but has simply been removed from your life.

good job Jude!!

Awesome! :)

ohh yes! love this song.. great job!

Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words.

I need to listen to this more often.

Never thought of that, but I'm sure that's it!

I think a mash up of this and Dead! by My Chemical Romance would sound amazing

I used to listen to that song a lot. I need to do it often it got amazing lyrics.

This is my favorite track from Shenanigans. There is so much pent up anger expressed in this song. Mike did a wonderful job lyrically, I very much enjoy the cynicism. Nice review.

One of the best choruses they've ever written :D

listening to the song while writing this. it's a very green day-y song. the bass is soo strong.

the song is so simple, yet so powerful.i think the solo is pretty childish, but in a good way in this ironic context.

that's what i love about green day's music really, the irony, the gap between the happy music and the feelings lyrically expressed.

now that i'm older, i realize, how this represents life, because things aren't black and white only, things are often green ;).

although i think this gap may also be some kind of repression thing when you're younger, and you're not sure how to feel about,

cause you're told to tell things apart in everything you're confronted with.

i was also wondering, whether mike's/green day's hate represented in many songs is directed at maybe only a handful of the same people

provoking the Topic.

I remember being 14 and hearing this song for the first time blew my mind. Used to imagine hijacking the speakers at George W Bush's funeral to play this song.

I was a normal teenager.

This will be my funeral song.

you want to have this played "at your funeral"? ;)

I hear Stay The Night when I'm listening to this.

i hear green day, so maybe there's a point in your words.

the good kind of normal ;).

I remember being 14 and hearing this song for the first time blew my mind. Used to imagine hijacking the speakers at George W Bush's funeral to play this song.

I was a normal teenager.

For the longest time I didn't know any of the lyrics (or the name of the song for that matter) other than the corus. In fact I thought Billie was singing: "On holiday; and I'm so happy" so to me the song always had a very happy feel to it.

Needless to say it was a bit shocked the first time I read the real lyrics.

Archived