Fellow Punks on Green Day

BCap

i know! I knew about epitaph before I even got into music and bands and stuff!

I didn't even know Epitaph was independent until a few weeks ago, honestly. It does the exact same stuff as the so-called "mainstream sellout" labels. I think it's really funny that The Offspring thought they were superior or more punk or whatever for being on Epitaph instead of Reprise. :lol:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thought of Epitaph guys making fun of Green Day because they went with a major label is hilarious to me since Epitaph is a well-known label nowadays. It may be an independent label owned by Gurewitz but it's not like it doesn't market and produce like other "mainstream" labels do.

Billie has referred to Epitaph as an "Indie-major" in a couple interviews. He would not be wrong.

What's funny is that almost everyone on that label knew that Green Day going to a major was a good thing. Fletcher has said that he was overjoyed when he saw Green Day on the cover of Spin because a band from their scene was finally getting recognition. Brett has said about 1000 times that Green Day is one of his favorite bands. Tim Armstrong and Billie go way back. Fat Mike is a Green Day fan. Matt Skiba and Dan Andarino have said that the first time they saw Green Day at a house party in Chicago they knew that it was cool to play "melodic punk rock" :lol:

The thought of Epitaph guys making fun of Green Day because they went with a major label is hilarious to me since Epitaph is a well-known label nowadays. It may be an independent label owned by Gurewitz but it's not like it doesn't market and produce like other "mainstream" labels do.

Back in the early 90's Epitaph wasn't as big as they were now they werent all real known outside certain regions

And Offspring are the only ones on the label that dissed GD so it wasnt all Epitaph dissing GD

Billie has referred to Epitaph as an "Indie-major" in a couple interviews. He would not be wrong.

What's funny is that almost everyone on that label knew that Green Day going to a major was a good thing. Fletcher has said that he was overjoyed when he saw Green Day on the cover of Spin because a band from their scene was finally getting recognition. Brett has said about 1000 times that Green Day is one of his favorite bands. Tim Armstrong and Billie go way back. Fat Mike is a Green Day fan. Matt Skiba and Dan Andarino have said that the first time they saw Green Day at a house party in Chicago they knew that it was cool to play "melodic punk rock" :lol:

Tim and Billie go way back, man. "Billie Joe and the guys in Green Day" are thanked in the notes for quite a few Rancid records. He's out of the spotlight now, but Billie Joe and Jesse Michaels were buddies for a while (they might still be for all I know). In fact, Jesse said he's "honored the Green Day dudes cite my band as an influence." He's also said multiple times that he was stoked when he saw Green Day signed to Reprise. :lol:

Back in the early 90's Epitaph wasn't as big as they were now they werent all real known outside certain regions

I know, but for an independent punk/indie label, it was still a fairly well-known name. It's not like it only released records in one city and had two bands signed on. It was still around.

Glen Matlock likes them (and even attended one of their shows).

Really? Rock and roll. That's pretty sweet.

. Fat Mike is a Green Day fan.

I don't think Fat Mike is a Green Day fan. Did you watch the video I posted on the thread earlier? I think he's cool with Billie Joe, but I wouldn't call him a "fan"

I wish Green Day would bring other musicians up when they play locally. I went to Bad Religion the night after the GD show at The Greek. Fat Mike was there. They brought him up. It was awesome. I'd love to see someone from Metallica or NOFX or Les Claypool or... anyone in town get up on stage with them. Seems like they don't do that a whole hell of a lot.

The Used were in a documentary called Punk Is Not Dead?

Correction the doc is called "Punk's not Dead" I blew it there. Sorry. Check it out. It's 90 minutes, and it's really well done.

I had never heard of The Used, but they played a couple of clips. Not down with the screaming.

I don't think Fat Mike is a Green Day fan. Did you watch the video I posted on the thread earlier? I think he's cool with Billie Joe, but I wouldn't call him a "fan"

I wish Green Day would bring other musicians up when they play locally. I went to Bad Religion the night after the GD show at The Greek. Fat Mike was there. They brought him up. It was awesome. I'd love to see someone from Metallica or NOFX or Les Claypool or... anyone in town get up on stage with them. Seems like they don't do that a whole hell of a lot.

Correction the doc is called "Punk's not Dead" I blew it there. Sorry. Check it out. It's 90 minutes, and it's really well done.

I had never heard of The Used, but they played a couple of clips. Not down with the screaming.

There are a couple old interviews where Mr. Mike talks about his favorite Green Day albums. It was around the time that Warning came out and he called it their "worst album". Couldn't be farther from the truth, but I digress.

They're not even remotely a punk band. I loved that documentary but they focused way too much on decidedly non-punk bands once the 2000's came up.

They're not even remotely a punk band. I loved that documentary but they focused way too much on decidedly non-punk bands once the 2000's came up.

^ That's what I meant, snapdad. I have never considered The Used a punk band. So.

Apologies if someone already posted it...

But I know that Rise Against have been associated with the band through events and such. RA is nothing monumental, but still an alright punk band nonetheless.

• 1 month later...

Yes, but the Gallagher brothers are 2 of the biggest twats on Planet Earth. Most of what they say is usually an attempt to fuel their 'rockstar' image, whereas they are actually just mainstream popstars with massive egos.

I fucking hate the Gallagher brothers with a passion.

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but apparently the lead singer of Flogging Molly (Dave King) is friends with Billie Joe.

When they played in Konstanz at the Rock am See Festival (where Green Day played as well) last September, he said that Billie Joe was a friend of his, but that they hadn't seen the Green Day guys in a while. Then he said that the next song was about friendship and dedicated the song to Billie Joe. I thought that was really cool!

Here's a video of it, unfortunately it doesn't contain the beginning of what he said, but you can still hear some of it at 2:00

I freaking love Flogging Molly :) Cool that they are friends.

Was actually just listening to them! Nothing better on a hot summers day :)

Archived