Fellow Punks on Green Day

BCap

Exactly

Didn't Johnny Thunders wear eyeliner? I always thought Billie was inspired by him.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

these guys aren't punk at all (I saw someone else post non-related punk artists who like green day) but kanye west, jay-z, beyonce, matthew Morrison, Darren criss, the Jonas brothers all like green day lmao

Mange, jay-z, and beyonce?! Where's you get this? :lol:

This is ultimately another one of those really pointless, shitey threads that just encourages mindless fanboy/girlism and a dislike for other musicians off the back of a couple of flipppant comments they may have made once or twice.

I mean, who really cares? Punk is just a label. And a piece of shit one at that. Who cares what they are and what other people think they are? They're band who makes music to make themselves feel better and to have fun with that spans many genres. Why do people get hung up on the punk thing? Why does it matter to them? I seriously don't understand this fixation with Green Day being or not being punk. It's not like punk is some higher plane of being that makes them a better band for being a part of it. They're better without it. Green Day are just an arena rock band from a punk scene that turned on them for being ambitious enough to dream of having every house in the world blaring their music.

Not particularly. If there is, does it make them better for labeling them punk? No.

That said I'm pretty sure Liam's comment was just a quip and Oasis are, in their own right, one of the biggest bands of all time with nothing to gain from genuinely slagging off other bands. They're more successful with Green Day despite having a shorter career. Might be twats but they're supremely talented - if not as much as then more than - the boys in Green Day.

The vitriol directed at the mainstream among a lot of rock fans confuses me to this day. It's like people don't realise that rock has been the mainstream form of music for most of popular music history. Rock stars are all to the last one pop stars by extension and a lot of pop stars are rock stars. Jay Z is a fucking rock star. People wonder why rock has lost traction. It's because it is unwilling to accept and be a part of the rest of the musical landscape. Rock has become so fucking elitist it thinks that not being mainstream is somehow better than being mainstream. I wonder what guys like Joe Strummer, Mick Jagger and Freddie Mercury would have to say if that attitude had existed in rock when they were each getting big. Rock lost it's ambition and that is all punk stands for.

You are the biggest troll I've ever seen.

I know Fat Mike from NOFX likes Green Day. AFI too, obviously. Matt Skiba of Alkaline Trio said that Green Day is one of his biggest influences and Alkaline Trio wouldn't exist without them.

It´s not punk but i remember that in that reality show from VH1 named "Supergroup" Ted Nugent says "Green Day, those fuckers are very good", or something like that, it was great :P

I find it funny that Kid Rock, who is somewhat conservative calls Green Day's music "unamerican bull****", but Ted Nugent, one of the biggest conservative music act's in the world, likes Green Day.

Rivers Cuomo is/was obsessive about them. They were one of the bands in his "Encyclopedia of Pop" binder thing.

John Lydon, who is no fan of Green Day, talked about Billie Joe's on- stage meltdown:

"Well, if you let people down, you should apologize. If you walk offstage and you've robbed people of the price of their ticket and not give them a full performance, then yeah, you're a cheat and a ripoff. You're also incredibly self-centered. [...] What can I say about that? I've had to do gigs with all manner of injuries, some of them quite serious. But you've got to push through it and not be lazy."

I read somewhere that the Madden brothers from Good Charlotte like Green Day, and Billie Joe gave them a shout out on Twitter or something? I can't remember.

John Lydon also said that he chased Green Day out of a room, lol

"If you're talking Green Day Please don't,"

"There's a coat-hangar with a leather jacket with studs."

"Previously done better, didn't need to be duplicated and watered down, that's the present day Green Day."

"I chased them out of a room once, I find them very foolish."

You are the biggest troll I've ever seen.

Ceadog won't be happy about that.

But no, I'm not trolling. I'm being serious.

Ceadog won't be happy about that.

But no, I'm not trolling. I'm being serious.

That's what makes it so terrible.

I read somewhere that the Madden brothers from Good Charlotte like Green Day, and Billie Joe gave them a shout out on Twitter or something? I can't remember.

This bums me out. Those guys are the fakest hypocritical pretend "punk rockers" ever. Yech. Too bad too because their tunes are kinda catchy. But "Lifestyles of the rich and famous?" great song...but they should have sold it to someone who didn't date Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie. Really?

That's what makes it so terrible.

Slightly off topic, but I was just wondering, do you go by exactly the same name and avatar on punk music sites? I know that might sound like a stupid question, but I think I've seen you on AbsolutePunk.net and Punknews.org, posting about and defending Green Day millions of times. I just want to make sure you're the right person before I tell you how awesome you are. :D

Slightly off topic, but I was just wondering, do you go by exactly the same name and avatar on punk music sites? I know that might sound like a stupid question, but I think I've seen you on AbsolutePunk.net and Punknews.org, posting about and defending Green Day millions of times. I just want to make sure you're the right person before I tell you how awesome you are. :D

I do indeed post on Punknews as porksoda, and I do defend the band every chance I get, because the PN population is generally really ill-informed when it comes to Green Day. I don't post on AbsolutePunk though. Strangely enough, porksoda is a pretty common username and I usually have to go with porkxsoda :P And thank you very much haha.

Don't know if you consider them Punk, but Vic Fuentes from Pierce the Veil said in an interview with Hot Topic that he was watching BIAB and completely agrees with Billie about how nothing is as successful as a series of mistakes. I thought that was pretty cool!

I do indeed post on Punknews as porksoda, and I do defend the band every chance I get, because the PN population is generally really ill-informed when it comes to Green Day. I don't post on AbsolutePunk though. Strangely enough, porksoda is a pretty common username and I usually have to go with porkxsoda :P And thank you very much haha.

"Grab yerself a can of Pork Soda..." (sorry, had to do it)

I just watched a doc on Youtube called "Punk is Not Dead" If you haven't seen it, you should. Anyway The Used (never really heard of them) all said that Green Day got them into punk music. At the end they show the punk scene all over the world and there are three kids from Russia in a punk band who said the same thing. Good stuff.

I just watched a doc on Youtube called "Punk is Not Dead" If you haven't seen it, you should. Anyway The Used (never really heard of them) all said that Green Day got them into punk music. At the end they show the punk scene all over the world and there are three kids from Russia in a punk band who said the same thing. Good stuff.

The Used were in a documentary called Punk Is Not Dead?

The whole scene's gone to hell, I swear.

I find it funny that Kid Rock, who is somewhat conservative calls Green Day's music "unamerican bull****", but Ted Nugent, one of the biggest conservative music act's in the world, likes Green Day.

But Ted Nugent's an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about half the time.

(That is not a dig at conservative people. Just Ted Nugent.)

Not sure if posted but I do know that many of the members of Simple Plan idol Green Day in a really nice way as they usually pose with Green Day merch such as shirts and stickers.

Not sure if posted but I do know that many of the members of Simple Plan idol Green Day in a really nice way as they usually pose with Green Day merch such as shirts and stickers.

Green Day was a huge influence on Blink-182, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, etc. All those pop-punk bands followed closely after the brief rebirth of punk in the early 90s.

Mike Ness from Social Distortion really likes them.

Are there any bands that have cited Social D as an influence that make you particularly proud?

MN: We’ve become good friends with Billie Joe from Green Day and I know the guys in Offspring and they’ve mentioned Social Distortion and [so has] Rancid

I remember another quote but I can't find it

The Ness and Armstrong families are actually really close friends. My aunt lives smack dab between Mike's house and Billie's vacation home. I'm pretty sure they purposely got homes close to each other.

This is kinda ironic because I've been wondering what the Offspring and Green Day relationship has been at this point. I think I read in this Larry Livermore interview that they hated each other when they both got famous, with the whole "NorCal/SoCal argument"

I'm sure they've grown out of it by now though.

The Ness and Armstrong families are actually really close friends. My aunt lives smack dab between Mike's house and Billie's vacation home. I'm pretty sure they purposely got homes close to each other.

This is kinda ironic because I've been wondering what the Offspring and Green Day relationship has been at this point. I think I read in this Larry Livermore interview that they hated each other when they both got famous, with the whole "NorCal/SoCal argument"

The thought of Mike Ness and Billie Joe Armstrong buying vacation houses near each other makes me feel warm and happy.

That and The Offspring were assholes to Green Day for being on a major label. No one else on Epitaph ever said anything bad about our boys but them. I mean I love The Offspring and Dexter Holland is a great songwriter, but seriously, him and Noodles were uptight jerks in the 90's.

That and The Offspring were assholes to Green Day for being on a major label. No one else on Epitaph ever said anything bad about our boys but them. I mean I love The Offspring and Dexter Holland is a great songwriter, but seriously, him and Noodles were uptight jerks in the 90's.

The thought of Epitaph guys making fun of Green Day because they went with a major label is hilarious to me since Epitaph is a well-known label nowadays. It may be an independent label owned by Gurewitz but it's not like it doesn't market and produce like other "mainstream" labels do.

The thought of Epitaph guys making fun of Green Day because they went with a major label is hilarious to me since Epitaph is a well-known label nowadays. It may be an independent label owned by Gurewitz but it's not like it doesn't market and produce like other "mainstream" labels do.

i know! I knew about epitaph before I even got into music and bands and stuff!

Archived