Fellow Punks on Green Day

BCap

Same guy who said Oasis was gonna get bigger than The Beatles but we all know he wasn't right about that either.

oh i know! they think they are THE best band in the world, no joke!

I've never really considered Green Day to be a punk band (well, the guys themselves I'd probably consider punks, but definitely not the music) so I don't really see the connection. I'm sure lots of bands/artists respect them who aren't punk musicians, too.

St. Jimmy, Platypus, Jaded, Take Back, In The End, F.O.D.? You don't feel even a little punk in those songs?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really punk, but I know on VH1's 100 Greatest Artists Of All Time special when Green Day came in at #91, Corey Taylor from Slipknot and Stone Sour admitted to being a big GD fan.

I really don't want this to cascade into another 'punk' discussion, but I will say that I see Green Day as neither Punk nor Pop. 'Punk' music relies so heavily on an anarchistic attitude towards society, instead of taking oneself seriously as a musician - and Green Day, I am pleased to say, are too intelligent to have anarchistic tendencies, and pride themselves on being good musicians. Similarly, if we disregard the recent trilogy as a step away from the course the band were taking with the previous two albums, 'Pop' is as fitting a label as 'Grunge' for the band; 21st Century Breakdown was the closest any band has come to recreating the majesty of the epic rock-operas of The Who, and no sane man would call The Who 'Pop' music.

I know some haters of Green Day: John Lydon for sure has blasted them on numerous occasions...He said things like "Green Day hasn't payed their dues", "they are not punk at all, they're just a pop band" and things like that.

Lydon is a fucking thundercunt, but on paying their dues, I think there's some credit to be had for that. I'm not supporting the guy, I just know where he stands on this, so let me put it into perspective:

The worst thing happening to Green Day was either Billie Joe losing it in Vegas or being banished from the Bay Punk scene by their original fanbase (not that that matters anymore).

The worst thing to happen to Lydon is getting stabbed in 1977 for his music.

Lydon's still a lifeless walking old bastard who should be driven down by a steamroller, but I think he makes sense as Lydon has lived a shitty life as well as made shitty music as a solo artist and you can't really argue with a man whose birth certificate went missing so his original birthday is a mystery, so I'll give that bit of credit, and that bit alone.

It´s not punk but i remember that in that reality show from VH1 named "Supergroup" Ted Nugent says "Green Day, those fuckers are very good", or something like that, it was great :P

Mick Jones once said that he kinda likes Green Day, and that he watched their Woodstock perfomance on TV.

Lydon is a fucking thundercunt, but on paying their dues, I think there's some credit to be had for that. I'm not supporting the guy, I just know where he stands on this, so let me put it into perspective:

The worst thing happening to Green Day was either Billie Joe losing it in Vegas or being banished from the Bay Punk scene by their original fanbase (not that that matters anymore).

The worst thing to happen to Lydon is getting stabbed in 1977 for his music.

Lydon's still a lifeless walking old bastard who should be driven down by a steamroller, but I think he makes sense as Lydon has lived a shitty life as well as made shitty music as a solo artist and you can't really argue with a man whose birth certificate went missing so his original birthday is a mystery, so I'll give that bit of credit, and that bit alone.

Yes, Lydon's had a tougher time since getting famous. However, the members of Green Day are arguably from just as shitty backgrounds. Mike's birth mother was heroin addict, for fuck's sake. Billie Joe grew up as the youngest of five, in what has been suggested to have been a chaotic household, due to the fact that his mother started working the 'graveyard shift' as restaurant waitress after her husband died.

I honestly get the feeling Lydon doesn't understand this.

Personally I love John Lydon and I truly understand him, it's not like Green Day done anything new in the same sense as PiL for example, Green Day has just carried on in the same trails as Buzzcocks and all that. The latest PiL album is fucking great!

Yes, Lydon's had a tougher time since getting famous. However, the members of Green Day are arguably from just as shitty backgrounds. Mike's birth mother was heroin addict, for fuck's sake. Billie Joe grew up as the youngest of five, in what has been suggested to have been a chaotic household, due to the fact that his mother started working the 'graveyard shift' as restaurant waitress after her husband died.

I honestly get the feeling Lydon doesn't understand this.

But Billie and Mike know when they were born Lydon doesnt know when he was born lol

I've never really considered Green Day to be a punk band (well, the guys themselves I'd probably consider punks, but definitely not the music) so I don't really see the connection. I'm sure lots of bands/artists respect them who aren't punk musicians, too.

Have you even heard Green Day's cover of Rockaway Beach? That's the best punk Green Day has ever done. Amazing. And no, they're not really punk, I'm still gonna cal them "punk rock", but every band is different, Green Day's just one of those bands that needs their own genre. They're not punk, but they are punk. The fact that they could be punk, but they choose not to, despite having full ability to be so, that makes them punk. So they are, but they're not. Punk has a very loose definition :lol:

oh i know! they think they are THE best band in the world, no joke!

St. Jimmy, Platypus, Jaded, Take Back, In The End, F.O.D.? You don't feel even a little punk in those songs?

409 In Your Coffeemaker, Welcome to Paradise, Armatage Shanks, Bab's Uvula Who?, Stuck With Me (lyrically), Tightwad Hill, Reject

So when did this happen?

tumblr_lk0lprTBps1qipermo1_1280.jpg

and everybody who hasn't seen this needs to watch it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRRzi2hALEY

This isn't really a notable punk, but I recently met Mass Giorgini. He was in a band called Squirtgun and I believe he was even in Screeching Weasel for a little bit. He's also a producer. He produced the first Rise Against album and mastered the most recent Anti-Flag album. He spoke very highly of Green Day and said they are friends and great human beings!

Most of the guys who hate Green Day do so mainly because of jealousy.The bros from oasis hate them because they feel that BOBD is a rip off of Wonderwall.Jonny Rotten hates them because green day became much more popular than him and his band.

Oh wait, I don't know any other artist that hates them.Just them, those universally hated big mouths.

Eh, I'd disagree there. The guys from Oasis are just generally shitheads who hate everything, even each other, so them hating Green Day is far from a surprise.

And I honestly don't know if Green Day are more popular than the Sex Pistols. It'd be damn close, that's for sure.

It´s not punk but i remember that in that reality show from VH1 named "Supergroup" Ted Nugent says "Green Day, those fuckers are very good", or something like that, it was great :P

Ted Nugent is probably one of the furthest things from punk, almost as far as Donald Trump's toupee.

Some Ken Casey Quotes on Green Day

Going Out in Style is a concept album. Ever consider turning it into a musical? Some concept albums have had successful stage translations. That’s sort of where the album came from: the idea of the play that’s put on in the back of the barroom, a storytelling narrative. We’ve talked about it continuing on to bigger and better things. . . . I don’t see the Dropkicks doing a musical. Not ready to jump that shark yet. [Laughs] But there are plenty of options for the story.

So you might do something; it just won’t look like Green Day’sAmerican Idiot? That won’t happen. You won’t find us playing on a float in the Macy’s parade.

On the new Dropkick album going for radio airplay

“We’re not striving to be Green Day or something, but I do think, with the nature of what we do musically and what our lyrical message is all about, there’s definitely a wider portion of the population that can relate to us. It’d be nice to see people actually hear about us, and I think that will happen with this album.”

on getting a permit to play The Garden
They gave it to Green Day, but not us. Obviously I’m not kissing the right asses. That’s another pet-peeve of mine. They gave it to Green Day, who started the whole goddamn problem with people having this misconception of punk rock because of that thing 15 years ago.

[NOTE: In 1994, Green Day played a free concert at the Hatch Shell that drew an unexpected 100,000 fans. A riot ensued, causing the band to stop the show midway through the set.]

So for us, it’s the ultimate kick in the pants that we were trying to get the permit to play the Garden all these years, and who but Green Day gets it. And then I heard that after they finally got the general admission permit to play there, they told the kids at the show to jump the barricade onto the floor! And then they got a permit there to play again! So obviously I’m not kissing the right asses. That’s all right, though.

I only know artist that aren't punk that like them:

Metallica

Katy Perry

Lady Gaga

Justin Bieber

One Direction

Kiss

Beastie Boys

Guns and Roses

Going Out in Style is a concept album. Ever consider turning it into a musical? Some concept albums have had successful stage translations. Thats sort of where the album came from: the idea of the play thats put on in the back of the barroom, a storytelling narrative. Weve talked about it continuing on to bigger and better things. . . . I dont see the Dropkicks doing a musical. Not ready to jump that shark yet. [Laughs] But there are plenty of options for the story.

So you might do something; it just wont look like Green DaysAmerican Idiot? That wont happen. You wont find us playing on a float in the Macys parade.

Were not striving to be Green Day or something, but I do think, with the nature of what we do musically and what our lyrical message is all about, theres definitely a wider portion of the population that can relate to us. Itd be nice to see people actually hear about us, and I think that will happen with this album.

They gave it to Green Day, but not us. Obviously Im not kissing the right asses. Thats another pet-peeve of mine. They gave it to Green Day, who started the whole goddamn problem with people having this misconception of punk rock because of that thing 15 years ago.

[NOTE: In 1994, Green Day played a free concert at the Hatch Shell that drew an unexpected 100,000 fans. A riot ensued, causing the band to stop the show midway through the set.]

So for us, its the ultimate kick in the pants that we were trying to get the permit to play the Garden all these years, and who but Green Day gets it. And then I heard that after they finally got the general admission permit to play there, they told the kids at the show to jump the barricade onto the floor! And then they got a permit there to play again! So obviously Im not kissing the right asses. Thats all right, though.

Jesus, what a bitter old ass...

Going Out in Style is a concept album. Ever consider turning it into a musical? Some concept albums have had successful stage translations. That’s sort of where the album came from: the idea of the play that’s put on in the back of the barroom, a storytelling narrative. We’ve talked about it continuing on to bigger and better things. . . . I don’t see the Dropkicks doing a musical. Not ready to jump that shark yet. [Laughs] But there are plenty of options for the story.

So you might do something; it just won’t look like Green Day’sAmerican Idiot? That won’t happen. You won’t find us playing on a float in the Macy’s parade.

“We’re not striving to be Green Day or something, but I do think, with the nature of what we do musically and what our lyrical message is all about, there’s definitely a wider portion of the population that can relate to us. It’d be nice to see people actually hear about us, and I think that will happen with this album.”

They gave it to Green Day, but not us. Obviously I’m not kissing the right asses. That’s another pet-peeve of mine. They gave it to Green Day, who started the whole goddamn problem with people having this misconception of punk rock because of that thing 15 years ago.

So for us, it’s the ultimate kick in the pants that we were trying to get the permit to play the Garden all these years, and who but Green Day gets it. And then I heard that after they finally got the general admission permit to play there, they told the kids at the show to jump the barricade onto the floor! And then they got a permit there to play again! So obviously I’m not kissing the right asses. That’s all right, though.

So i'm guessing he doesn't lke Green Day all that much?

So i'm guessing he doesn't lke Green Day all that much?

I don't get the feeling he full on hates them, or even dislikes them that much. I don't like saying that bands and artists can be 'jealous' of each other, but this guy is pretty close.

John Lydon can talk as much shit as he wants, but all the band would have to do is link him to one of his butter commercials and he would shut the fuck up. He's so much more of a sellout than Green Day it's ridiculous.

I also think that Jello Biafra doesn't hate them (he apparently had a civil conversation with Billie Joe during a Foxboro Hot Tubs concert), and said on one of his spoken-word albums that people should be more concerned about stuff like poverty than whether or not Green Day or The Offspring had sold out.

I think he likes them actually...? I'm not sure, but that's the feeling that I get. I remember that quote about how stupid he thought that people kept going over and over on how they "sold out", I didn't know about the FHT conversation. But he interviewed them in a very cool interview. There were scans on GD.net, I can't find them now, and they're not on GDA (or maybe I can't find them). It's the magazine where those sepia old phographs were, it's from the Nimrod era.

I also found these quotes right now while searching for it:

“I don't think either the Offspring or Green Day started their bands with the intention of becoming so enormously popular; that sort of fell in their laps-especially the Offspring. My attitude is if somebody blunders into the level of popularity, at least remember the human factor. These guys are still human beings and hopefully still have hearts and if you keep in touch with them rather than vilify them you may be able to encourage them to go in the right direction. What I'm hoping will eventually happen is that they will grasp the amount of power and financial clout that is now at their fingertips and use those as tools to help real people with real things the way punk politics was always designed to do before, but nobody had any money.”

-What are the political implications of all this [corporate takeover of punk]? Do you think the fact that bands like Rancid or The Offspring (that were at least perceived as having a radical agenda) sold millions of records has had an effect on mass consciousness?

Jello: "All those bands got to where they are in part because they are good at what they do — not even the most vehement back stabber can deny that. And if they have a political impact, it will be greater if they take the bull by the horns and come out more in support of political organizing and organizations in such ways that I have already suggested. Green Day did a high profile benefit for Food Not Bombs, who are so controversial even in the radical world that I know of no other large rock band that ever went to bat for them. They raised $50,000. I don't think a small underground show would have benefited Food Not Bombs as much. They would raise $400 or $500 bucks and everybody would feel good in the end, but Food Not Bombs could spend that money in half a day trying to feed homeless people".

Fletcher from Pennywise likes Green Day and said that they broke the mold and forced all other bands in the scene to step up their game. Bad Religion are big fans, especially Brett. Bob Baker has spoken a lot about how the band has done everything right. Mike Ness said he was skeptical about them first because they were really big in the scene and in the mainstream, but when he saw them live he was blown away by their musicianship and their performance and he was sold on them not just as a band but also as representatives of punk rock in the mainstream.

I only know artist that aren't punk that like them:

Metallica

Katy Perry

Lady Gaga

Justin Bieber

One Direction

Kiss

Beastie Boys

Guns and Roses

Believe it or not the Beastie Boys actually started out as a punk band, they released a hardcore punk EP before they switched to rap and became successful. Plus they always kept some of that punk attitude. I'd say they count :D

Again, not necessarily Punk, but i've always wondered if Springsteen likes Green Day. Since Green Day's performances remind me a lot of Springsteen with the marathon show's, and their interaction with the crowd and everything.

Believe it or not the Beastie Boys actually started out as a punk band, they released a hardcore punk EP before they switched to rap and became successful. Plus they always kept some of that punk attitude. I'd say they count :D

And Guns N' Roses did a punk...cover album...

I think Duff counts as punk rock.

Archived