Fellow Punks on Green Day

BCap

Okay, so what punk musicians love Green Day, and who hates them?

I know that John Lydon hates them, but Glen Matlock likes them (and even attended one of their shows). Tom DeLonge and Mark Hoppus, Tim Armstrong, Deryck Whibley, Joey and Johnny Ramone, the guys from Less Than Jake (especially Vinnie), the guys from FOB and Ballyhoo! (a rising band from Aberdeen, MD - about an hour-hour and a half away from me), and others seem to like them. I also think that Jello Biafra doesn't hate them (he apparently had a civil conversation with Billie Joe during a Foxboro Hot Tubs concert), and said on one of his spoken-word albums that people should be more concerned about stuff like poverty than whether or not Green Day or The Offspring had sold out.

On a related note: what punk icons have met members of Green Day? I know that there's a pic of Billie Joe giving Joey Ramone an autograph, and Billie Joe apparently became friends with Johnny, plus there's the convo between Biafra and Armstrong.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad Religion's drummer is a big fan of Green Day. I saw an interview with him, and he was talking about buying iUNO!.

I read somewhere Billie met Joe Strummer before he died and went for drinks with him.

And, he's not a musician, but he seems to be clued up on and part of the 'punk circle', but wrestler CM Punk did a little video clip where he rated bands as to whether or not they were punk. He thought Green Day were punk, had stuck to their roots, and was glad they were filling arenas.

Bad Religion's drummer is a big fan of Green Day. I saw an interview with him, and he was talking about buying iUNO!.

I read somewhere Billie met Joe Strummer before he died and went for drinks with him.

And, he's not a musician, but he seems to be clues up on and part of the 'punk circle', but wrestler CM Punk did a little video clip where he rated bands as to whether or not they were punk. He thought Green Day were punk, had stuck to their roots, and was glad they were filling arenas.

Almost forgot about Strummer! Didn't Billie Joe first meet him in an airport?

I remember hearing a clip on youtube with one of them meeting Billie and saying he was a cool guy.

I know some haters of Green Day: John Lydon for sure has blasted them on numerous occasions, which is sad because they always talk about the sex pistols being a huge influence. I think he just spews hate toward everything and everyone but himself. He comes across as a miserable person. Bitter. He said things like "Green Day hasn't payed their dues", "they are not punk at all, they're just a pop band" and things like that.

The Killers knocked American Idiot for being "calculated un-americanism." Kid Rock called them "unamerican bull****". System of a down made a comment about not being a "s***** politcal punk band"......

Almost forgot about Strummer! Didn't Billie Joe first meet him in an airport?

No idea, I thought it was Mescaleros gig...

The cool ones like them.

I have an old all-Green Day edition of Metal Hammer magazine with loads of old punks talking favourablly about them, I'll dig it out later.

This is an awesome topic! The guys in the band known as Mike TV are heavily influenced by GD but more the Dookie sound. They even have a song called "American Idols" which expresses their thoughts on GD's "change". I think Henry Rollins is indifferent towards them, he hates hearing people call a band sell outs for the littlest thing they do thats not underground. Even though they aren't punk, one of the Gallagher brothers from Oasis HATES GD but even more he hates GD fans.

Even though they aren't punk, one of the Gallagher brothers from Oasis HATES GD but even more he hates GD fans.

Yes, but the Gallagher brothers are 2 of the biggest twats on Planet Earth. Most of what they say is usually an attempt to fuel their 'rockstar' image, whereas they are actually just mainstream popstars with massive egos.

hehe funny...i just found this quote on tumblr:

"…AND I REMEMBER JOEY RAMONE SAT RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. ME AND MY WIFE, ADRIENNE WERE SITTING THERE AND WE WERE WATCHING AND SHE WAS PREGNANT WITH MY FIRST SON, JOEY…WELL WHO WAS GONNA BE JOEY…AND I REMEMBER HE STOOD UP AND I HAD ONE OF THOSE LITTLE INSTAMATIC CAMERAS AND RIGHT WHEN HE STOOD UP, ADRIENNE GOES “TAKE A PICTURE OF HIS BUTT!” AND SO I TOOK A PICTURE, SO I HAVE A PICTURE OF JOEY RAMONE’S BUTT."

— Billie Joe Armstrong talking about the 1994 VMA’s. (2012)

...i've never seen that quote before :mellow::lol:

Yes, but the Gallagher brothers are 2 of the biggest twats on Planet Earth. Most of what they say is usually an attempt to fuel their 'rockstar' image, whereas they are actually just mainstream popstars with massive egos.

oh i know! that's one reason i can't stand them. very egotistical!

Johnny Ramone and Billie Joe???? :shok:

I need a link please!

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1011869,00.html

You're welcome.

The cool ones like them.

I have an old all-Green Day edition of Metal Hammer magazine with loads of old punks talking favourablly about them, I'll dig it out later.

Please do! Can you put up some scans or anything?

Mike Ness from Social Distortion really likes them.

Are there any bands that have cited Social D as an influence that make you particularly proud?

MN: We’ve become good friends with Billie Joe from Green Day and I know the guys in Offspring and they’ve mentioned Social Distortion and [so has] Rancid

I remember another quote but I can't find it

Even though they aren't punk, one of the Gallagher brothers from Oasis HATES GD but even more he hates GD fans.

Well, we don't like them either so it's fine :lol: No one cares about Oasis anymore anyway. Did he say why he didn't like GD's fans?

From The Replacements Paul Westeberg and from Husker du like them !! and Mr. Brett from Bad religion fucking like Green Day, I have read in an intervriew from Ben Weasel from Screeching Weasel says they are one of the best Punk Band right now !!

Well, we don't like them either so it's fine :lol: No one cares about Oasis anymore anyway. Did he say why he didn't like GD's fans?

like most people, i think he hates how they're a household name and just hates hearing anything about them. funny, that's how i feel towards oasis. although they were the biggest brit band for a good amount of time, i guess they have bragging rights but there's a difference between modestly accepting how good you are and being a complete cunt about it!

From The Replacements Paul Westeberg and from Husker du like them !! and Mr. Brett from Bad religion fucking like Green Day, I have read in an intervriew from Ben Weasel from Screeching Weasel says they are one of the best Punk Band right now !!

wasn't Mike in screeching weasel for a while?

like most people, i think he hates how they're a household name and just hates hearing anything about them. funny, that's how i feel towards oasis. although they were the biggest brit band for a good amount of time, i guess they have bragging rights but there's a difference between modestly accepting how good you are and being a complete cunt about it!

wasn't Mike in screeching weasel for a while?

Yeah just for a record is album from 1994 He play the Bass adn the back vocals!!!

Yeah just for a record is album from 1994 He play the Bass adn the back vocals!!!

thought so! :D

Same guy who said Oasis was gonna get bigger than The Beatles but we all know he wasn't right about that either.

Someone in Simple Plan said he wanted to marry Billie Joe.

NOFX interview:

Fat Mike - I like Billie Joe, he's a nice guy.

El Hefe - But that bassist is weird...

Fat Mike - He can turn a 5 minute story into a 30 minute story.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1011869,00.html

You're welcome.

Please do! Can you put up some scans or anything?

Sadly I can't, but I can tell you some things from it when I find it.

Edit: There's some scans of the magazine on GDA, but unfortunately it's only part of it and none of the bits with musicians talking about Green Day are there:

http://www.greendayauthority.com/articles/89/1/

Most of the guys who hate Green Day do so mainly because of jealousy.The bros from oasis hate them because they feel that BOBD is a rip off of Wonderwall.Jonny Rotten hates them because green day became much more popular than him and his band.

Oh wait, I don't know any other artist that hates them.Just them, those universally hated big mouths.

Not necessarily Punk, but i've heard that Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Chris Shiflett, and Pat Smear obviously all from the Foo Fighters (although Shiflett originally played for No Use For A Name and Smear was played with The Germs and Nirvana) are all fans, and Mike Ness of Social D, Jello Biafria of The Dead Kennedys, The Offspring, Rancid, New Found Glory, Simple Plan Screeching Weasel, NOFX, Joe Strummer of The Clash, The Ramones, Krist Novoselic of Nirvana, Blink 182, some of Bad Religion, and Glen Matlock of The Sex Pistols like them as well.

Most of the guys who hate Green Day do so mainly because of jealousy.The bros from oasis hate them because they feel that BOBD is a rip off of Wonderwall.

Well the interview of the Oasis guy was from the late 90s so it's been going on longer than that

Archived