Mike Dirnt's negative comments on Cuatro

Dillwad

I watched Cuatro, and there is one part where Mike talks about how it bothers him that so many fans yell out to him to play Christie Road, and he says he feels like hitting those people with his bass. He goes on to say those people should go back to 1992.

I was actually very sad to hear him say this. Many fans love Christie Road, and I do not understand why this upsets him. If anything, I would think he would be sick of playing Longview, Basket Case and When I Come Around, since those have been on their setlist ever since Dookie came out. It is a rare treat to hear Christie Road live and I am sure none us mean any disrespect to Mike when any of us yell this out. Maybe he was just having a bad day when this was filmed?

Did anyone else feel this way, or is it just me?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He probably just didn't have enough coffee yet prior to filming that part. They play it now so all is obviously well.

I don't think he was making a statement specific to Christie Road, but just old songs in general. I think it's understandable that at some point he wants to move on. I agree it's a little weird of a comment considering how overplayed the major singles are during their tours.

He probably doesn't think it's that good.

This. Which it ain't. I've never really understood all the love that song gets.

From the perspective of someone who's in a band, although admittedly with a mere fraction of the songwriting experience over time that Green Day has had, I can honestly say that there are songs from when we first started that I would be somewhat embarrassed to play now. We thought they were amazing at the time, but over the months, our songwriting has gotten better, and we've come to realize our first efforts aren't that great compared to what we came up with later. I'd imagine this is how Mike feels about Christie Road, especially with new material that he wants people to be excited about.

Also, somewhat related. We touched on this a little bit in the thread discussing the tour setlist so far, but the majority of the people at shows are the people who know those big hits, and little else. Again, I can say from personal experience that playing a song of yours and having people sing along who know the words is an amazing feeling. Of course the band needs to play a setlist that appeals to the lowest common denominator, but they also probably want to play a setlist that gets everyone singing along and jumping up and down. Yes, the hardcore fans love Christie Road, but Green Day can't design the vast majority of their setlists for the hardcore fans. They have to cater to the masses, and dare I say, they might be happy to do that if it gets them a riled-up crowd.

This. Which it ain't. I've never really understood all the love that song gets.

From the perspective of someone who's in a band, although admittedly with a mere fraction of the songwriting experience over time that Green Day has had, I can honestly say that there are songs from when we first started that I would be somewhat embarrassed to play now. We thought they were amazing at the time, but over the months, our songwriting has gotten better, and we've come to realize our first efforts aren't that great compared to what we came up with later. I'd imagine this is how Mike feels about Christie Road.

It is a good song still. It's good at explaining teenage apathy. I get the love for it. Not to discredit your thoughts, as i can totally understand that view as well.

GD have played it quite a bit throughout their whole career, mainly during the Kerplunk/Dookie days. It might not even be that he doesn't like it, it might be because alot of fans request that at shows and he's sick of it. It's like the whole "Free Bird" thing, it probably didn't bug him at first, but after a while it got really old...

It is a good song still. It's good at explaining teenage apathy. I get the love for it. Not to discredit your thoughts, as i can totally understand that view as well.

Well obviously that was my opinion, yeah. They don't exactly have a shortage of songs that are good at evoking that feeling of apathy, and there are many songs that do that better for me than Christie Road does.

Probably because it's a fucking old song and people need to stop going back to the past. They went to that gig strictly wanting to play brand new songs and some idiot is screaming "PLAY CHRISTIE ROAD" It's rude. I don't think he was being mean at all.

I agree with Mike.

Though comparing then to now, they didn't listen to themselves.

He may have quoted out of context because I remember him saying atleast a million times that "every song is his baby".And if he does not like it, that's his taste.Because in the end, it's HIS song.

After giving the fans the honor of hearing almost twenty unrecorded songs, and then hearing someone yelling "CHRISTY ROAD CHRISTY ROAD! I'M ONLY HERE BECAUSE I MISS THE 90s!" (paraphrasing) would make anyone go FUUUUUUUUUU!

Plus I think the band felt insecure about the new songs at that point, and they still kinda are

Guys,your missing the point. Mike was saying that because they were at the club to play new songs. Not to play the hits. after the whole threatening to hit with the bass thing, he says to go back to 1992 for a moment. Meaning to just shut up and listen to these new songs they made. The whole statement itself has nothing to do with Christine Road and the only reason why he mentioned that song in particular was because some person there kept shouting CHRISTINE ROAD!!!! CHRISTINE ROAD!!!!

I understand what he's trying to say. It's got to be frustrating for a band that's doing new stuff and maybe stuff that they like better to be constantly berated by people asking for a song that maybe they don't even care for anymore. Or it could be that these are people who want nothing, but songs like that...they don't even want the later stuff. I don't know, I felt like I understood where he was coming from and it's actually one of my favorite quotes from the film.

I thought it was funny and thought nothing of it ._.

I think the comment is just something said that has no real meaning and people are making it to be a bigger deal than what it is...

people are making it to be a bigger deal than what it is...

This is what people here at GDC do on a daily basis..

Having bad flashbacks of the rehab thread.... >.<

Having bad flashbacks of the rehab thread.... >.<

Semantics, dear comrades! 'Tis the way of the interwebz

I watched Cuatro, and there is one part where Mike talks about how it bothers him that so many fans yell out to him to play Christie Road, and he says he feels like hitting those people with his bass. He goes on to say those people should go back to 1992.

I was actually very sad to hear him say this. Many fans love Christie Road, and I do not understand why this upsets him. If anything, I would think he would be sick of playing Longview, Basket Case and When I Come Around, since those have been on their setlist ever since Dookie came out. It is a rare treat to hear Christie Road live and I am sure none us mean any disrespect to Mike when any of us yell this out. Maybe he was just having a bad day when this was filmed?

Did anyone else feel this way, or is it just me?

i actually like that he straight out said what bothers him and not sugar coat it. I thought it was pretty funny though. :lol:

I wasn't born in 1992 you fucker! :mad:

:lol:

But yeah, I noticed, and I was like whatevs about it :P

After giving the fans the honor of hearing almost twenty unrecorded songs, and then hearing someone yelling "CHRISTY ROAD CHRISTY ROAD! I'M ONLY HERE BECAUSE I MISS THE 90s!" (paraphrasing) would make anyone go FUUUUUUUUUU!

Plus I think the band felt insecure about the new songs at that point, and they still kinda are

This exactly. I think they feel insecure too and how could they not IT'S HARD THESE DAYS PLEASING THOSE GREEN DAY FANS. A shame really. I'm not trying to be a asshole but you guys make a big deal of stupid shit.

Archived