SotW: X-Kid

Cob

I liked it live; in fact, I was surprised it was played live. It's a deep track to some degree, but I still like it even live.

I listened to the live version once, and never again. Tré's drumming sounds awkward, and Billie barely makes his vocal cues. There was no need to speed it up, it's an epic and bombastic slice of stadium rock, not a snotty pop punk tune.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best song on the Trilogy, and one of my favourite GD songs ever, but the live version sucks balls. It's too fast, and it sounds awkward. It didn't need to be faster than the album version, it just knocks everything out of sync.

I totally agree with this. I was so excited to hear it live, and when I did, I dunno. Something just didn't sound right.

I totally agree with this. I was so excited to hear it live, and when I did, I dunno. Something just didn't sound right.

I love the song, and I'm afraid I'm just gonna be at the show thinking "man you guys fucked this up bad" instead of enjoying it.

I love the song, and I'm afraid I'm just gonna be at the show thinking "man you guys fucked this up bad" instead of enjoying it.

thats what i was thinking when i heard it, was surprised. thought it would be awesome live.

thats what i was thinking when i heard it, was surprised. thought it would be awesome live.

What won me over was the fact it did get played; it totally caught me off guard. Fuck the quality, at least they're trying, and it's all subjective at the end of the day.

What won me over was the fact it did get played; it totally caught me off guard. Fuck the quality, at least they're trying, and it's all subjective at the end of the day.

Well, it's a single. I'd have been surprised if they weren't playing it.

I appreciate X-Kid's lyrical value, though this is a song, where if I saw it live, I think I'd probably just stare blankly at the band, not from boredom, but petrified amazement, just totally enveloped in the atmosphere. I think When I Come Around would have the same effect on me.
Anyway, when those drums come in at "I fell in love but it didn't catch your fall" that combined with the melody, I just can't really describe the appeal, other than that's my favorite part of the song.

Judging by the videos, and live performances I've been to, X-Kid has gotten a lot better live as they've been playing more and more and made subtle changes to the delivery and tempo.

I agree, the first few times were a little iffy, but it's become a truly great live song IMO.

Great post! Very relatable. I am in the same boat as you being only about a year out of high school and I feel like the whole x-kid idea speaks to me too. It's really weird this point in life especially trying to figure out what I want to do with my life and such. But another thing about the song that is super eerie is that I was at the last show of that tour and he told the story involving Brando that night. But yes one of the best off the trilogy. And I finally heard it on the radio! I got in a car accident last Wednesday (the night before my green day show) and had to get a rental in order to take all 7 people o the show. The rental has satellite radio and when we got in the car to leave for the show I heard x kid. I got super excited because it was the first and only I've I've heard it on the radio.

Judging by the videos, and live performances I've been to, X-Kid has gotten a lot better live as they've been playing more and more and made subtle changes to the delivery and tempo.

I agree, the first few times were a little iffy, but it's become a truly great live song IMO.

The first time I heard it live didn't impressed me but in the two last performances that I watched it was great.Right tempo and great vocals-backing vocals.I love this song and is my favorite from the Trilogy.

But another thing about the song that is super eerie is that I was at the last show of that tour and he told the story involving Brando that night.

Really? What was the story about?

That's been everyone's gripe about the tour basically - the "it's a single" argument. Oh Love (and KYE) is honestly only getting played because it's what the crowd might have heard from the trilogy. X-Kid, regardless of its single status, would win the plays of its own merit, which is why I love it. The same goes for Brutal Love - I'm glad they didn't pick The Forgotten just because it was in Twilight

Why? because i have my own opinion? always complaining

Oh my shit you're back?! As much as I don't like you your profile pic is awesome, now go somewhere else

The song is good, but it's not a live song, and the stuff you wrote is just meh, just another dramatic teenager

We should have a poll where we get him to write the next song of the week to see the shit show that ensues

Why? because i have my own opinion? always complaining

Wow if you don't scream hypocrite I don't know who does

I appreciate X-Kid's lyrical value, though this is a song, where if I saw it live, I think I'd probably just stare blankly at the band, not from boredom, but petrified amazement, just totally enveloped in the atmosphere. I think When I Come Around would have the same effect on me.

Anyway, when those drums come in at "I fell in love but it didn't catch your fall" that combined with the melody, I just can't really describe the appeal, other than that's my favorite part of the song.

Tre changes the note count there I believe. It completely changes the groove and the feel and it makes it sound super awesome.

By the way, what was the actual story with Brando? How do we know it was him?

That's been everyone's gripe about the tour basically - the "it's a single" argument. Oh Love (and KNE) is honestly only getting played because it's what the crowd might have heard from the trilogy. X-Kid, regardless of its single status, would win the plays of its own merit, which is why I love it. The same goes for Brutal Love - I'm glad they didn't pick The Forgotten just because it was in Twilight

i feel so dumb for having to ask this, but what's kne? :|

Best song on the Trilogy, and one of my favourite GD songs ever, but the live version sucks balls. It's too fast, and it sounds awkward. It didn't need to be faster than the album version, it just knocks everything out of sync.

That's exactly how I felt when I heard the El Paso recording of it. Extremely disappointing. But I feel like when I went to The Los Angeles show they really had their timing down and knew how to play it. I think that they know how to play it now, it just took some practice

i feel so dumb for having to ask this, but what's kne? :|

Know your enemy!

That's exactly how I felt when I heard the El Paso recording of it. Extremely disappointing. But I feel like when I went to The Los Angeles show they really had their timing down and knew how to play it. I think that they know how to play it now, it just took some practice

Yeah, well, that's kinda unprofessional. You do your practice before you get on stage.

Know your enemy!

..but that's kye not kne??? ok

..but that's kye not kne??? ok

That would be a typo, it seems :rolleyes:

I've seen it live on YT, sounds really good. They also speed it up a bit, which I like a ton.

Yeah, well, that's kinda unprofessional. You do your practice before you get on stage.

They obviously practiced it before they played it live, but of course they can change it/make it better as they play it more and in front of a live audience night after night.

Well they did practice it beforehand but they probably noticed some of the off things and perfected them while playing it live. They didn't have a ton of time from billies getting out of rehab to the concerts

I feel a contradiction for X-Kid... it has this beautiful guitar melody that makes it catchy, but the lyrics make me very sad. It's a great song, one of my favs from ¡TRÉ! <3

Archived