SOTW: Castaway

JIGD13

Castaway

Castaway is track number 5 on Green Day’s 6th studio album ‘’ Warning’’. The song has a sound that is in accordance with the lyrics of the song, it’s a ‘’Journey’’, with a sweet melody a sticky bass and some great drums that go with the great sound of guitar, Castaway is definitely a song that you can’t get out of your head

Written by Billie Joe Armstrong, the songs talks about to go somewhere without knowing where, with more than one possible destination where you could arrive to and you could say that by hearing the line "I'm on a mission/into destination unknown,"

Why I love Castaway? The song makes get excited every time I listen to it and make me feel that I’m into a real trip to nowhere. The lyrics of the song will agree on some of my emotions that are in my head and how I’m feeling in some moments of my life.

These are the lyrics of the song:

I'm on a sentimental journey

Into sight and sound

Of no returnand no looking back or down

A conscientious objector to the

war that's in my mind

Leaving in a lurch and I'm

taking back what's mine

I'm on a mission

Into destination unknown

An expedition

Onto desolation road

Where am I

Castaway - Going at it alone

Castaway - Now I'm on my own

Lost and found

Trouble bound

Castaway

I'm riding on the night train and

driving stolen cars

Testing my nerves out on the blvd.

Spontaneous combustion in the

corners of my mind

Leaving in a lurch

and I'm taking back what's mine

I'm on a mission

Into destination unknown

An expedition

Onto desolation road

Where I'm a

Lost and found

Trouble bound

Castaway

And one of my favorite performances of the song (Billie had some serious business to attend at that show):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhcMC3A2TKc

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said it before and I'll say it here as well, but Church on Sunday, Fashion Victim, and Castaway is my favorite stretch of three consecutive songs from any Green Day album.

IT'S SOOOO CATCHY! :runaround:

YES, okay I think that Castaway is Green Day's most underrated song. It's so catchy and really upbeat and I could probably listen to it on repeat for the rest of my life. Great song of the week!

Best live version of that song ever!! I love that show because it's so bright. One of the best things about the Pacific Ocean

Excellent choice for SOTW! A fantastic song!

I would love to hear it played more.

I used to only like 3 songs on Warning, but now I pretty much like all of them especially Castaway :P

I love this song. at my 18th bday party my friends tells DJ to play this song and they gave me cardboard Billie Joe in real size. :wub::wub::wub:

Fuck, I was listening to Warning on Friday, and this song came on and my reaction, which I have every time this song comes up, was "why isn't this a fucking single?!" I noticed that a lot of songs from Warning don't get played live anymore, and this is one of those songs that, when the opening chords fired up, would send the die hard fans in the audience into a frenzy.

Heck, you even picked out my favorite live performance of this song too. I always hear Mike's little solo bit going on in there when I hear the studio version...and I'm pretty sure that was one of the first little flourishes I learned by ear on the bass way back when. This song fucking rocks.

Great choice! One of my favourites song from Warning! It's so catchy!

One of my forgotten favorites. I used to play the shit out of this song years back, and I would say it's the Letterbomb of Warning, if you get that comparison. A great song which weren't 'spoiled' by becoming a single, even though it is inarguably better than most of the actual singles off of that respective album, thus becoming a fan favorite instead of getting overplayed. One of its best features is the classic Mike Dirnt bassline.

I've read somewhere that Billie Joe listened to alot of Bob Dylan before and during the recording of the album, and besides the obvious influences in the use of acoustic guitars and harmornica, I've later come to see the line "An expedition into desolation road" as an internal song reference to Dylan's "Desolation Row" like "Never made is as a working class hero" in 21st Century Breakdown is it to John Lennon's song. Maybe not, cause he doesn't sing "desolation row" he sings "road", but from the lyrics I've always imagined Dylan's "Desolation Row" as a street where strange people live, they're castaways in a way. So I'm sticking with my interepretation of that line.

I like this song very much, I also can relate to the lyrics a lot. I think it's one of the best songs from Warning.

Great choice! This live is awesome I agree.
It's not my favorite song off Warning but still all the songs from Warning are perfect so Castaway isn't that bad.

Oh my fucking god, I LOVE Castaway. I relate to it quite a bit actually, and I LOVE the music and lyrics. I also agree that it's really energetic and catchy. :D

Easily one of my favorite songs on Warning. It's such a fun driving song. Dat bassline.....

I love the song, warning is definitely my favorite album of the band.

I remember for the longest time thinking this was one of Green Day's worst songs. I don't know why I disliked it so much, but it just bothered me. Now I love it. It's not one of my favorites or even one of my favorites on Warning, but it's a wonderful song!

I love castaway! The perfect song to listen to when you're travelling somewhere and are very excited about it.

Archived