ok, so before someone says "we have a thread about the best album":
this thread is not about what you think is the best album, it is just about the sound of the albums. i added a poll just to get an overview, which one is most favored for its sound, but please explain your opinion and discuss as well.
it doesnt matter if you like the songwriting or not. it is just about the sound of the instruments and/or billies voice.
i think it is very relevant, because i heard a lot of people complaining about the trilogy sound (which is counted as one. even if uno, dos, tre do have their own sound it is not that different). tre with insomniac sound? id love it!
now: in my opinion insomniac has the best overall sound. i like all of it. no weird effects, loud bass, heavy distorted guitars (but not mushy like on 21st century breakdown) and the drum sound. since 21stcbd the drum sound on GD records annoys the hell out of me... that snare drum is so penetrant on those records. i prefer the more muted sound of the snare like on earlier records.
- 1,039/smoothed out slappy hours (i know its not one single album, but they sound more or less the same):
i really dig the cheap sound. its sound so raw and gives the whole record this special atmosphere. my second favorite album sound. dirty guitar sound and great harmonies. and i actually like billies voice on here, too! i know a lot people cant stand it. but i like it more than the way he sang live later.... keeping his voice deep to sound "punk". not my cup of tee.
all in all something i would call a "warm album". even if its simple, it sounds full and has some soul.
- kerplunk: worse than 1,039... . everything sounds so powerless. proves that you can produce a great sound without money (1,039...) and a shitty sound with no money (kerplunk). one of the "cold albums"
- dookie: its alright. but a bit to popy for me. all instrument could be a bit louder. better than kerplunk though. even if welcome to paradise is slower here, it has much more power with the new sound.
- insomniac: i think i said a lot about it already. its the maximum green day sound. you can hear mikes bass enough, everything is louder and dirtier than on dookie and tres drum sound is the best of all records. another "warm album" as well.
- nimrod: it sounds very similiar to insomniac. maybe a bit to many guitars at once. drum sound getting worse as well... for that reason you cant hear mikes bass that good anymore. nevertheless it has a good sound.
- warning: well... different. but i think the accoustic layer they added is good for the songs they have on that record. drums start to annoy me a bit on here already.
- American Idiot: You can hear that this one is a real producers album. many effects, plenty of sound layers... usually not a fan of it. but what they did, they did good. it is still a very warm album to me, maybe because they still have an accoustic layer here, too. you slightly hear it anymore, but even muted in the backround it adds something. billies singign is great! some effects, but ok... after that album it went downhill... 3rd favorite sound.
- 21st century breakdown: seriously: such a cold album. everything is over the top. to many guitars, to many effects and an annoying penetrant snare drum. it doesnt help that tre always plays the same beat...
- trilogy: to many effects on billies voice, to clean guitars. i like the guitar soli sounds though. bass: not hearable enough, the drums are way to loud. and snare drum again... i think my ears blead. and billies voice: way to high. i know he cant change it probably, its just how his voice developed. but i dont like it. (i think it has something to do with the drugs he did...). least favorite album sound.
what do you think? if you dont think its worth a thread: dont post.