SoTW: Geek Stink Breath

musso_kn

Geek Stink Breath is the fourth track and first single from Green Day's fourth studio album and second major label release, Insomniac. Complete with a heavy distorted guitar sound and a rather graphic music video, the song signifies a departure from the more melodic, light hearted numbers that made Dookie such a massive success. Despite the change in style, Geek Stink Breath still performed moderately well in the charts, reaching 27 on Billboard Hot 100 and 16 on the Offical UK Singles Chart.

Written by Billie Joe, who was experimenting with a lot of drugs at the time, the song's lyrics are quite clearly a straightforward description of the effects of regular methamphetamine abuse. The line 'my pulse is beating out of time' is a reference to the way in which meth can accelerate and deregulate heart rate, while the phrase 'killing my complexion' alludes to the rashes and scars that can break out as a result of constant usage. Of course, the video draws on another problem associated with meth use: rotting teeth. According to a biography I recently watched, the footage in the dentist's office was not staged. In fact, the patient, who had a history of meth abuse, was a good friend of the band.

As it stands, the closest I've ever been to smoking something involved me - nearly - burning my mouth off with a hot barbecue skewer (don't ask!). I've never swallowed anything much stronger than a couple of capsules of paracetamol. Yet, Geek Stink Breath remains one of the my favourite Green Day songs. On one hand, the aggressive guitar tone is almost infectious. However, being the nerdy biologist, chemist and (hopefully!) future pharmacist that I am, I also find the effects of certain substances on the human body, and the way in which in this song cleverly summarises the complications induced by meth, tremendously fascinating! I was also at one point, at the naive age of twelve, rather 'scared' by the opening of this song. From what I can tell, someone lets out what I like to call a 'monster burp'. When I was younger, the noise simply hurt my ears.

Anyway I leave you with the lyrics and a live performance on Saturday Night Live in 1994:

I'm on a mission
I made my decision
To lead a path of self destruction
A slow progression
Killing my complexion
And it's rotting out my teeth

I'm on a roll
No self control
I'm blowing off steam with methamphetamine
Don't know what I want
That's all that I've got
And I'm picking scabs off my face

Every hour my blood is turning sour
And my pulse is beating out of time
I found a treasure
filled with sick pleasure
And it sits on a thick white line

I'm on a roll
No self control
Don't know what I want
That's all that I've got

I'm on a mission
I've got no decision
Like a cripple running the rat race
Wish in one hand shit in the other
And see which one gets filled first

I'm on a roll
No self control
Don't know what I want
That's all that I've got

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7yYeVgg3g_Q

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never been a great fan of Geek Stink Breath. It's probably one of my least favorite songs off Insomniac (which, btw, is one of my favorite albums).

I found a treasure
filled with sick pleasure

My favorite line from the song.

Drugs are fun and dangerous at the same time.

Drugs are fun and dangerous at the same time.

Just like rock 'n' roll itself ;)

Just like rock 'n' roll itself ;)

I feel like a rebel when I listen to The Beatles... The thrill! :lol:

Fun fact: I have the 15th highest expert guitar score for this song on Green Day Rock Band out of all PS3 users. Just thought I'd share, I'm kinda proud of that. :D

Great work Fatima :happy:hot barbecue skewer? sounds painful :pinch:

Interesing insight on that song. I love it, so happy they played it at some of the recent shows.

One of my least favourite songs they've ever written. The refrain is just so annoying...

Great work Fatima :happy:hot barbecue skewer? sounds painful :pinch:

Interesing insight on that song. I love it, so happy they played it at some of the recent shows.

It was pretty bad :D I still have the scar, though it's quite faint now.

Anyway, I didn't notice this song on the recent setlists! I'm glad it's there though, it would be great number to jump around to.

One of my least favourite songs they've ever written. The refrain is just so annoying...

Noooo....But if anything, I'd say it's kind of sinister sounding.

Never really got into Geek Stink Breath until recently, when I bought Insomniac. The lyrics are great and the heavy distorted guitar is awesome. There's just somethinh about it that doesn't make it one of their greats. I don't know, maybe it's too repetitive.

Hated it at first, but it slowly grew on me. I rarely listen to Insomniac anymore (it used to be my favourite...those were darker days!) but I do remember really enjoying the effect this song had on me. Made my worries about eating too much sugar seem so mild in comparison :lol:

Great review! If I were to write this, I'd have chosen the same performance, but It's Saturday Night Live 1994!!!!!! Please fix it!

When me and my sister watched International Supervideos, GSB was on it and she is like *skip this* and im like I like this video... the teeth scare me * every time i'm over at my sisters house *not my aunts with my sister* i always make her watch GSB.

btw this is a great review :)

I finally bought Green Day: Rockband last night, and for the first time I realized that Billie says the title of the song at the end.

Great review! If I were to write this, I'd have chosen the same performance, but It's Saturday Night Live 1994!!!!!! Please fix it!

Done :)

I finally bought Green Day: Rockband last night, and for the first time I realized that Billie says the title of the song at the end.

Actually, I only noticed this a few weeks ago myself.

Done :)

Actually, I only noticed this a few weeks ago myself.

I was always too lazy to check lyrics, so for a long time I thought he was saying "NON. STOP. VIBES." at the end. No idea why though.

Archived