HDTracks version of Homecoming, different from original release.

fatherotti

I can't post download links for it here, cause it was officially released to purchase through this site.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=artistdetail&id=10253

Its only $17.00 anyway :)

Oh and please don't discuss illegal downloading of it here, cause I don't want the thread shut down.

Oh ok thank you! :D

I've been looking to get hold of this for a while, I really want to hear it on my new cowon player and good headphones! It just says "record not available" on the Green Day page on hdtracks. Is it a US only thing??

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been looking to get hold of this for a while, I really want to hear it on my new cowon player and good headphones! It just says "record not available" on the Green Day page on hdtracks. Is it a US only thing??

Hmm that is weird. I go to the checkout and it lets me purchase. I really really hope it isn't US only.

I don't think that version is a remaster, but is the record how BJ, Mike and Tré wanted. This is probably the closer shot that you can get to the studio, listening to the master tapes. You don't hear these TV sounds because of the bad compression on CD version

Okay I torrented it and there definitely is a difference. But it's rather slight. I'm not that much of an audiophile, and for non-audiophiles the difference between 320kbs mp3 and flac is barely noticable anyway. But instruments and details that are more in the background are more noticable in this version, for example the acoustic guitar in the beginning of Jesus of Suburbia or the piano in Rock and Roll Girlfriend. Those are details I also caught in the version I listened to for the past 10 years but here they are more "present".

I guess it's a nice thing to have, but not something I would pay 20 dollars for, especially since it's only digital. I'm pretty sure I'm only going to listen to the HDtracks version occasionally since iTunes doesn't support flac and I would be too lazy to switch over to Foobar everytime I want to listen to AI :lol:

After some research I read that the creators of that site actually edited the original CD to simply sound more "wide-range" and dynamic, because apparently the original has a very compressed sound. But I think the compressed sound is more fitting for rock music... It just gives them an extra punch. And rock music isn't supposed to be perfect, it's supposed to be dirty and with some flaws. People complain about RHCP's Californication and Metallica's Death Magnetic for having a too compressed sound, but I think those records are supposed to sound dirty.

But yeah I guess this is a nice thing to listen to every once in a while.

I'm getting them now. I've known about these for a while but never got around to em. From the previews I can say that the track American idiot sounds almost identical. I haven't checked the others though, and AI kind of always sounded best on that record.

From listening to some of the previews on the HDtracks site, you can hear a little bit more separation between the instruments; everything is clearer and more pronounced. I'm going grab these as soon as I can!

This version is on the vinyl release as well, at least it's on mine.

Its pretty cool, it sounds louder than the original and it sounds more clear too. It doesn't sound as distorted as the original, you can actually hear the instruments more clearly. :) They also have the trilogy for sale too and 21st CB. But I only got American Idiot. :)

I have the HD Tracks version and it actually sounds quieter :lol:

Can someone post them on YouTube? I'm dying to hear them now :D

The YouTube version would be compressed and pointless

The YouTube version would be compressed and pointless

Yup, as a matter of fact I already did a test video for Youtube. The only thing you'll hear from the new tracks is the TV in Homecoming. The HD sound would indeed be lost.

was going to post about the vinyl but got beat to it. i read about it somewhere but forgot then was listening through earphones a few weeks ago and the tv surprised me. just because i have listened to the album so many times and it came out of nowhere.

I haven't bought any of them, but honestly, the only difference I'm hearing from the previews is they're very clear. I mean, it's still basically everything you hear on the CD release and every other "compressed" release, but it just sounds more clear and has a little bit more headroom.

I thought this would contain some download... :P but thanks for pointing it out! It's always great to hear new interesting facts of American Idiot <3

Yeah the whole tv thing in Homecoming is the only new thing added I guess. It caught me completely off guard cause I was listening to it and had my tv going at the same time. I had to go back and double check lol. If they release Dookie this way, that would be an instant buy for me. :)

Don't notice the difference really.

There might be plenty of reasons for that, you might have a crappy audio system, maybe you listened through apple earphones or maybe you're just not an audiophile.

i think the trilogy would have been better if it sounded like the hdtracks.. i really enjoyed the previews.. i remember during the summer someone posting a link to a written piece with examples all about the american idiot hd versions and the differences between the regular album ..pretty cool shit im sure this part was said already..

TV thing was the most prominent thing I noticed, I got it all in FLAC, but I generally don't like the format, it's no different than 320mp3 anyway unless you have audio gear for a shit ton of money. And even then I don't see the worth.

i think the trilogy would have been better if it sounded like the hdtracks.. i really enjoyed the previews.. i remember during the summer someone posting a link to a written piece with examples all about the american idiot hd versions and the differences between the regular album ..pretty cool shit im sure this part was said already..

HDtracks has the trilogy in 96khz/24 bit

HDtracks has the trilogy in 96khz/24 bit

whatever it is i liked it better ok?

Archived