Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Listen to Static Noise 94: We give our thoughts on Demolicious.

Photo

HDTracks version of Homecoming, different from original release.

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

trufan1

trufan1
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
  • Joined Jun 29, 2007
  • 353 rep

POPULAR

I just got a hold of American Idiot HD from HDTracks. It sounds amazing compared to the original. The thing that struck me as most interesting was that not only did it sound better but Homecoming is actually not the same as the original. I wish I had a Youtube link to show you guys what I mean. During "Nobody Likes You" when he sings "Watching Spike TV" you can now hear TV noises going in the background. I'm not sure if you can hear it only because of the new HD or if it was actually inserted into the new copy. All I know is its certainly not on the original. Anyway just thought I'd share cause its kind of interesting. :happy:  If anyone gets a chance, pick up a copy of it. Its pretty cool. :)

St. Christian Of Suburbia

St. Christian Of Suburbia
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Joined Sep 29, 2012
  • 88 rep

Very interesting, I wish I could check that out. American Idiot HD as a whole sounds awesome. You went into this a little bit but can you elaborate on how you think the HD versions compare to the original?

trufan1

trufan1
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
  • Joined Jun 29, 2007
  • 353 rep

Very interesting, I wish I could check that out. American Idiot HD as a whole sounds awesome. You went into this a little bit but can you elaborate on how you think the HD versions compare to the original?

Its pretty cool, it sounds louder than the original and it sounds more clear too. It doesn't sound as distorted as the original, you can actually hear the instruments more clearly. :) They also have the trilogy for sale too and 21st CB. But I only got American Idiot. :)

w00t932

w00t932
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Joined Aug 06, 2012
  • 145 rep

I've just listened to some of the previews for the trilogy and "Nightlife" sound AMAZING. I think iDos! as a whole album sounds quite different since they made it pretty loud to fit the Garage Rock theme.

Khris

Khris
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Joined Nov 06, 2006
  • 208 rep

I just got a hold of American Idiot HD from HDTracks. It sounds amazing compared to the original. The thing that struck me as most interesting was that not only did it sound better but Homecoming is actually not the same as the original. I wish I had a Youtube link to show you guys what I mean. During "Nobody Likes You" when he sings "Watching Spike TV" you can now hear TV noises going in the background. I'm not sure if you can hear it only because of the new HD or if it was actually inserted into the new copy. All I know is its certainly not on the original. Anyway just thought I'd share cause its kind of interesting. :happy:  If anyone gets a chance, pick up a copy of it. Its pretty cool. :)

EDIT: Please don't close, I thought I put this in the Audio thread but I guess not. Can someone move it? :)

I figured this out 2 years ago since you can hear the tv on the vinyl of American Idiot :lol:

InvaderPhantom

InvaderPhantom
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2011
  • 414 rep

This is the first time I've ever heard of "HDtracks"... what the hell? Since when is High Definition audio a thing? I thought I would have the "most perfect" version American Idiot when I have the album as FLAC files. And this is supposed to be even better? Is this even official? If they sell it, I guess it has to be official, otherwise it would be illegal...

So this is basically an official remastered version of AI. is the difference that big? Since AI is my favorite album ever, I guess I should get this. Maybe there are more subtle differences than TV noises during Nobody Likes You.

trufan1

trufan1
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
  • Joined Jun 29, 2007
  • 353 rep

This is the first time I've ever heard of "HDtracks"... what the hell? Since when is High Definition audio a thing? I thought I would have the "most perfect" version American Idiot when I have the album as FLAC files. And this is supposed to be even better? Is this even official? If they sell it, I guess it has to be official, otherwise it would be illegal...

So this is basically an official remastered version of AI. is the difference that big? Since AI is my favorite album ever, I guess I should get this. Maybe there are more subtle differences than TV noises during Nobody Likes You.

Well the HD tracks come in either flac, wav or alac files. Its just that rather than take the album tracks from the original copies, they actually went back and remastered them thoroughly. They made them a lot more clearer to listen to. I think I read somewhere that the biggest change is the increase in dynamic range. So pretty much these are the perfect copies of the album IMO. Here's some more info :)

https://www.hdtracks...detail&id=10253

Caractériel

Caractériel
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2010
  • 415 rep

I actually have the HDtracks version of AI, and the difference is definitely noticeable, especially if you have a decent pair of earphones. You can pick out each individual instrument perfectly, and there are several other effects that you can't really hear on the original version. I can no longer listen to the original version now after hearing this, it sounds exactly how all recorded music should.

trufan1

trufan1
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
  • Joined Jun 29, 2007
  • 353 rep

Yeah they should do Dookie next. That would be incredible. Unfortunately I don't think they'd be able to do anything older than Dookie, the whole master tapes thing would get in the way.

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 569 rep

...okay, now I'm really interested. 

AI is my favorite album, I would love to hear those tracks.

21stcenturyidiot

21stcenturyidiot
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2009
  • 138 rep

there are no albums available for Green Day?

angry_robot

angry_robot
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2011
  • 1,728 rep

I just downloaded it after doing some some research and it souds really MUCH better

jumpsalty

jumpsalty
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 396 rep
Where is this available to download?

21stcenturyidiot

21stcenturyidiot
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2009
  • 138 rep

Can you post a link? I keep searching it and there's nothing.....or is this a US only thing? :( 

angry_robot

angry_robot
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2011
  • 1,728 rep

Can you post a link? I keep searching it and there's nothing.....or is this a US only thing? :(

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post download links here, it's kinda illegal I guess, I downloaded it from torrent.

Advertising

21stcenturyidiot

21stcenturyidiot
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2009
  • 138 rep

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post download links here, it's kinda illegal I guess, I downloaded it from torrent.

It's not illegal  if  you pay for it surely?

Liam

Liam
  • Mentally Deficient Seal

• 8,659 posts
  • Joined Feb 17, 2009
  • 3,054 rep

EDIT: Please don't close, I thought I put this in the Audio thread but I guess not. Can someone move it? :)

You did put it in the download section but that is of course for downloads so I figured you'd get more discussion here. Sorry, I was in a rush and forgot to tell you I moved it

trufan1

trufan1
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
  • Joined Jun 29, 2007
  • 353 rep

I can't post download links for it here, cause it was officially released to purchase through this site.

Its only $17.00 anyway :)

Oh and please don't discuss illegal downloading of it here, cause I don't want the thread shut down.

You did put it in the download section but that is of course for downloads so I figured you'd get more discussion here. Sorry, I was in a rush and forgot to tell you I moved it

Oh ok thank you! :D

angry_robot

angry_robot
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2011
  • 1,728 rep

It's not illegal  if  you pay for it surely?

Well yeah, but I obviously didn't pay for it  :mellow:

21stcenturyidiot

21stcenturyidiot
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2009
  • 138 rep

I can't tell a huge difference but maybe  i'm not musically tuned?

Liam

Liam

• 8,659 posts
  • Joined Feb 17, 2009
  • 3,054 rep

It is illegal so please do not post links or PM anyone as to where to find it. They can find it themselves

trufan1

trufan1
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
  • Joined Jun 29, 2007
  • 353 rep

It is illegal so please do not post links or PM anyone as to where to find it. They can find it themselves

Yup, I only posted where to buy it officially. That ok? :)

Liam

Liam

• 8,659 posts
  • Joined Feb 17, 2009
  • 3,054 rep

Yup, I only posted where to buy it officially. That ok? :)

Of course it is :)

I've known about these for a while, I'm yet to get around to buying them and comparing them

trufan1

trufan1
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
  • Joined Jun 29, 2007
  • 353 rep

Of course it is :)

I've known about these for a while, I'm yet to get around to buying them and comparing them

They sound really cool. I'm very curious about the other albums now too. :happy:

Liam

Liam

• 8,659 posts
  • Joined Feb 17, 2009
  • 3,054 rep

I can't tell a huge difference but maybe  i'm not musically tuned?

If you're using laptop speakers or crappy speakers you won't hear it. Try using a proper sound system :)

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 935 rep

I can't post download links for it here, cause it was officially released to purchase through this site.

Its only $17.00 anyway :)

Oh and please don't discuss illegal downloading of it here, cause I don't want the thread shut down.

Oh ok thank you! :D

I've been looking to get hold of this for a while, I really want to hear it on my new cowon player and good headphones! It just says "record not available" on the Green Day page on hdtracks. Is it a US only thing??

trufan1

trufan1
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
  • Joined Jun 29, 2007
  • 353 rep

I've been looking to get hold of this for a while, I really want to hear it on my new cowon player and good headphones! It just says "record not available" on the Green Day page on hdtracks. Is it a US only thing??

Hmm that is weird. I go to the checkout and it lets me purchase. I really really hope it isn't US only.

greendepent

greendepent
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Joined Jul 18, 2008
  • 214 rep

I don't think that version is a remaster, but is the record how BJ, Mike and Tré wanted. This is probably the closer shot that you can get to the studio, listening to the master tapes. You don't hear these TV sounds because of the bad compression on CD version

InvaderPhantom

InvaderPhantom
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2011
  • 414 rep

Okay I torrented it and there definitely is a difference. But it's rather slight. I'm not that much of an audiophile, and for non-audiophiles the difference between 320kbs mp3 and flac is barely noticable anyway. But instruments and details that are more in the background are more noticable in this version, for example the acoustic guitar in the beginning of Jesus of Suburbia or the piano in Rock and Roll Girlfriend. Those are details I also caught in the version I listened to for the past 10 years but here they are more "present".

I guess it's a nice thing to have, but not something I would pay 20 dollars for, especially since it's only digital. I'm pretty sure I'm only going to listen to the HDtracks version occasionally since iTunes doesn't support flac and I would be too lazy to switch over to Foobar everytime I want to listen to AI  :lol:

After some research I read that the creators of that site actually edited the original CD to simply sound more "wide-range" and dynamic, because apparently the original has a very compressed sound. But I think the compressed sound is more fitting for rock music... It just gives them an extra punch. And rock music isn't supposed to be perfect, it's supposed to be dirty and with some flaws. People complain about RHCP's Californication and Metallica's Death Magnetic for having a too compressed sound, but I think those records are supposed to sound dirty.

But yeah I guess this is a nice thing to listen to every once in a while.

Sensei21

Sensei21
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2011
  • 437 rep

I'm getting them now. I've known about these for a while but never got around to em. From the previews I can say that the track American idiot sounds almost identical. I haven't checked the others though, and AI kind of always sounded best on that record.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users