21 Guns not being played live

ColinOr

Seeing as Green Day played their first arena show in Chicago, I was really surprised to see the absence of 21 Guns from the set-list. Fair enough, it wasn't performed at intimate club venues, but that's warm up shows for hardcore fans, this Chicago gig was their first proper arena tour date and considering the fact that 21 Guns is high up there as one of their all time biggest hit songs, I'm really surprised that it's not been payed live. Considering the amount of passion put into the 21 Guns performances on 21st Century Breakdown world tour, I get the impression they enjoyed playing it live. We'll just have to wait and see, but leaving such a huge hit song out of set-lists for arena shows seems a bit off to me.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see more diversity over all, and MUCH more new music. That they haven't played Lazy Bones yet, as I've said before, is beyond me. It's by far the song I like most from the entire trilogy.

I get that they can't just drop their biggest hits, basket case, longview, she, hitching a ride, american idiot etc. But last night I think they played 3 or 4 new songs, out of about 30. Gotta say I hope they play more new stuff on the Europe tour when I see them myself.

I miss the Good Riddance/WMUWSE combination though.

they have so many songs now that a song being cut from the setlist doesnt indicate that theyve given up on it. It's just about making room for new songs while still keeping everyone happy

They've also abandoned good riddance. Now that really pains me.

really? hmm i personally think its about time

I was hoping they'd play 21 Guns last night too, but overall the setlist and show were better than when I saw them at the United Center in 2009.

I'd like to see more diversity over all, and MUCH more new music. That they haven't played Lazy Bones yet, as I've said before, is beyond me. It's by far the song I like most from the entire trilogy.I get that they can't just drop their biggest hits, basket case, longview, she, hitching a ride, american idiot etc. But last night I think they played 3 or 4 new songs, out of about 30. Gotta say I hope they play more new stuff on the Europe tour when I see them myself.I miss the Good Riddance/WMUWSE combination though.

They played, Stay the Night, Oh Love, SWTRLF, Stray Heart, Brutal Love, X-Kid, and 99 Revs. 7 out of 37

Yeah I'm sad that they aren't playing it either. But the absense of Good Riddance is beyond me.

I can't help but think "big deal". The reason being, as much as I really love 21 Guns, I don't mind this. I'd really like to hear it, but I'd be happy to hear something else. and while they're not playing as much of the Trilogy as they should, I'm hoping this is enough reason for the change.

Either that or music that hasn't had enough playtime...

LETTERBOMB MUCH?

They played, Stay the Night, Oh Love, SWTRLF, Stray Heart, Brutal Love, X-Kid, and 99 Revs. 7 out of 37

SWTRLF could be traded for Lazy Bones, and I know I'm not the only one who likes that song. Also the bitching combo of Troublemaker and Loss of Control would sound good.

I can say I am sick and tired of hearing 21 guns due my nephew wanting to always listen to it.

SWTRLF could be traded for Lazy Bones, and I know I'm not the only one who likes that song. Also the bitching combo of Troublemaker and Loss of Control would sound good.

I think Lazy Bones is a bit taboo for BJ now.

It was a hit? I didn't realize. You'd think if it was a hit, everyone in my high school would know it and I'd hear it on the hit radio station, but I didn't!

Anyway, I don't like the song. It's WAY too long for not changing (JOS and Homecoming change every like 90 seconds, so it's okay, it's more like 5 mini songs). It's just verse after verse after verse. I would've liked it a LOT better if it were a 2 and a half minute song.

I think Lazy Bones is a bit taboo for BJ now.

...what? How does that make any sense?

If I hear the phrase "Stop when the red lights flash" one more time, I'm going to hurt someone :lol:

The trilogy seems to be centered around that phrase, just like 21st Century Breakdown was centered around fire/light.

They've also abandoned good riddance. Now that really pains me.

Yeah, I can't understand this one. That's the song EVERYONE knows.

It was a hit? I didn't realize. You'd think if it was a hit, everyone in my high school would know it and I'd hear it on the hit radio station, but I didn't!

Anyway, I don't like the song. It's WAY too long for not changing (JOS and Homecoming change every like 90 seconds, so it's okay, it's more like 5 mini songs). It's just verse after verse after verse. I would've liked it a LOT better if it were a 2 and a half minute song.

here u go

...what? How does that make any sense?

He wrote it about himself. It might be a bit early for him. If you listen to the lyrics, they're all about insomnia and alcohol abuse

He wrote it about himself. It might be a bit early for him. If you listen to the lyrics, they're all about insomnia and alcohol abuse

I understand that, and if he doesn't want to play it that's fine, but I wouldn't put it past him. It's not as if songs of that subject (and it's a lot more than Lazy Bones that cover this) is instantly going to make him curl into the fetal position and have to be shipped away in a box. He seems better than that.

Good. 21 Guns isn't one of my favorites and it's overplayed. Same with Good Riddance, although I wouldn't mind hearing it. There are plenty of other acoustic/slower songs they could do.

I'm sure they're just tired of the song.

I don't really understand where you're coming from. So, a song has to either be standard length (2.5-3 minutes) or has to have multiple parts of different tempos to be enjoyable? Seems like a very close-minded way of looking at music.

Good. 21 Guns isn't one of my favorites and it's overplayed. Same with Good Riddance, although I wouldn't mind hearing it. There are plenty of other acoustic/slower songs they could do.

I'm sure they're just tired of the song.

Also there is no shame on expanding their setlist to other things; to be honest, I like the direction but I'm hoping the show's climax is epic enough to MATCH Good Riddance/acoustic encore, and if so, well played.

I don't really understand where you're coming from. So, a song has to either be standard length (2.5-3 minutes) or has to have multiple parts of different tempos to be enjoyable? Seems like a very close-minded way of looking at music.

Well, yeah, for me. I don't like hearing the same thing over and over again. I REALLY LOVE Rusty James, but one thing that makes it just a little bit not as good is that they repeat the chorus way too much in the end. It just gets boring and repetitive.

I always think 21 guns should end at the part where it fades out. having it keep going is just dragging it on.

Lazy Bones is definitely one of my favorites, but I'm not getting my hopes up for it. I'm pretty sure that is a song Billie doesn't even want to think about now.

And I know I've mentioned this a lot in the tour threads, but I'm so mad about them getting rid of Good Riddance. So, so mad.

I actually kinda like this new setlist but it's kind of a shock not having Good Riddance anymore.

Archived