Billie Joe Armstrong to Write Songs for Yale Repertory Theater Show

BillieJoeObsesser

Ooh, this sounds great :) Might have to make the short trip to go check it out when it starts.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great to see Billie Joe's songwriting talent being recognized. I have a feeling that the lyrics coming out of this writing-process will be epic. Can't wait to hear more!

Sounds cool! Nice to see he's getting right back into being creative. And I'm not concerned about him "using up" material - if anything experimenting and challenging himself with something new and different like this is likely to get the creative juices flowing and inspire all kinds of awesome future Green Day material :happy:Kind of, he co-wrote a song for The Go-Gos, and a song for Rancid which he also played on, and songs for Iggy Pop which he and the rest of Green Day also played backing on. A big solo project like this is definitely a first though! Should be interesting.

Just so long as he doesn't wear himself out with too much to handle on his plate at one time again....when he does that, not so good things happen. If he's learning how to keep it all in perspective and manage it well without having to use, um, pharmaceuticals to push through it, then I'm all for whatever creative work he wants to take a shot at and I wish him much success with it!

Oh my god! So cool! They will be amazing for sure! :woot:

But... They won't be sung by Billie :(((

well, for the American Idiot Musical we also thought Billie wouldn't sing :whistle ...though naw, it's pretty unlikely that something like this will happen again :lol: ...but i think even just that he WRITES some songs for a new musical is friggin awesome :happy:

Looks like he really enjoyed his experience with Broadway :lol:

Maybe this could inspire some kind of new twist on Green Day's music. Very cool.

This is utterly fantastic news. Like many of you I'm concerned about him overworking himself, what with a big tour ahead and there being something of a time crunch and outside pressure with this thing needing to premiere by next March, he would obviously have to have all the songs done well beforehand. I don't know how long things are typically in workshop/pre-production mode (especially for Yale Rep as opposed to other theaters) but this being something somewhat outside of Green Day's control, Billie Joe being hired on as the songwriter actually does put him in a position of "need to finish writing by X date." That being said, I'm sure Billie signed up for this because he read the story and got excited and felt creatively stimulated by it, so I'm sure he's going in with enthusiasm.

I think it's entirely possible Billie could find himself in this play one day, but even if he doesn't, I really love the credibility it gives him as a songwriter. It will be really interesting to see how these things are imagined without Mike or Tre? I guess it's not all that different, we've seen in Cuatro how Billie sits alone in his studio and records drums and bass tracks...

Also, if he can get Tom Kitt in there somehow... golden.

not only is he perfectly equipped for this its probably a good idea, maybe it will keep him busy and turn out to be a soothing experience..

not only is he perfectly equipped for this its probably a good idea, maybe it will keep him busy and turn out to be a soothing experience..

exactly. I see this more as giving him something to do rather than putting pressure on him. he doesnt have to worry about performing them he can just keep himself occupied doing what he loves in between green day shows.

Not that i had any problems with AI i loved it, but i'm hoping this musical incorporates more mature actors. I'm looking for something different than young kids prancing around.

OH MY LORD BILLIE IS DOING SHAKESPEARE. :woot:

This is...huge. Why are there only 40-some replies thus far? Ever since Billie mentioned he'd like to write for theatre, I desperately hoped he would keep his word. This project, as others have mentioned, shows that the world at large is beginning to respect our darling Billie Joe as more than just a California hombre with a couple of fluke songs. Theatre is a whole new leap into the depths of maturity, regard, and sophistication.

Something tells me I'll be making more than a few trips to New Haven.

This is awesome. I remember him saying he wanted to do something like this.

When I saw this headline on GDA I got a huge smile on my face. I think its really cool for Billie to be writing songs not related to any of the bands he's in. He's an excellent writer, and it makes me so happy that his talents are being recognized in this way. It sounds like a really awesome project - he's going to be interpreting Shakespeare! I'm so excited for him. :happy:

I would love if he could put on another musical that is Green Day related or not.

While I'm excited to see what comes from it, there's a part of me that doesn't want him to kick it right back into high gear and over-working himself. That said, music is his passion, and I'm sure he's happier working on something than sitting around. We are opposites.

^ His and the band's idea of not overwhelming themselves with work amuses the heck out of me. This is their version of taking it easy. Ha!

While I'm excited to see what comes from it, there's a part of me that doesn't want him to kick it right back into high gear and over-working himself. That said, music is his passion, and I'm sure he's happier working on something than sitting around. We are opposites.

I think - and really hope - that this new dawn of Green Day means there will be re-evaluation of how things are done. I hope that Billie Joe now knows that it doesn't have to be fucking frantic, and that he has the confidence to stake out a space for stuff he wants to do, like this. I've never entirely thought of Green Day as just a band - I know that's central to who they are, but it's not all that they are. I think of them as a group of artists : each of them has lots of angles and interests, and with Billie Joe - shit, he has so much to explore, and I really hope he's opening up to that now and embracing it.

Archived