Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Billie Joe Armstrong to Write Songs for Yale Repertory Theater Show

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

whatshername0303

whatshername0303
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Joined Jul 18, 2010
  • 152 rep

Here's an article of Rolling Stone talking about it: http://www.rollingst...speare-20130314

That sounds great! :happy:

Green Day In Seattle

Green Day In Seattle
  • fuckdatshit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts
  • Joined Aug 27, 2012
  • 2,878 rep

Oh my god! So cool! They will be amazing for sure! :woot:

Elena

Elena
  • -Custom Title-

• 3,974 posts
  • Joined Aug 12, 2011
  • 1,045 rep

But... They won't be sung by Billie :(((

well, for the American Idiot Musical we also thought Billie wouldn't sing :whistle ...though naw, it's pretty unlikely that something like this will happen again :lol: ...but i think even just that he WRITES some songs for a new musical is friggin awesome :happy: 

billieve

billieve
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts
  • Joined Feb 22, 2012
  • 5,226 rep

Can't wait!

LazyPhil

LazyPhil
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • Joined Sep 18, 2010
  • 503 rep

Looks like he really enjoyed his experience with Broadway  :lol:

thatdude03

thatdude03
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Joined Apr 21, 2008
  • 189 rep

Maybe this could inspire some kind of new twist on Green Day's music.  Very cool.   

insomniax

insomniax
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Joined Jan 01, 2010
  • 281 rep

This is lovely news, looking forward to hear more about it! 

DookieLukie

DookieLukie
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • Joined Sep 28, 2012
  • 753 rep

Billie don't waste good songs on musicals!!

• Léo_Desensitized likes this

Heather.

Heather.
  • Peacemaker

• 4,272 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 6,525 rep

This is utterly fantastic news. Like many of you I'm concerned about him overworking himself, what with a big tour ahead and there being something of a time crunch and outside pressure with this thing needing to premiere by next March, he would obviously have to have all the songs done well beforehand. I don't know how long things are typically in workshop/pre-production mode (especially for Yale Rep as opposed to other theaters) but this being something somewhat outside of Green Day's control, Billie Joe being hired on as the songwriter actually does put him in a position of "need to finish writing by X date."  That being said, I'm sure Billie signed up for this because he read the story and got excited and felt creatively stimulated by it, so I'm sure he's going in with enthusiasm. 

I think it's entirely possible Billie could find himself in this play one day, but even if he doesn't, I really love the credibility it gives him as a songwriter. It will be really interesting to see how these things are imagined without Mike or Tre? I guess it's not all that different, we've seen in Cuatro how Billie sits alone in his studio and records drums and bass tracks...

Also, if he can get Tom Kitt in there somehow... golden.

• Bastard of 1967, alaniluau and Jimmy McNulty like this

Cath

Cath
  • stick it to the man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,459 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 3,928 rep

GREEAAT.  :runaround:

Alexelrey69

Alexelrey69
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined Feb 22, 2013
  • 3 rep
Maybe he'll give them the songs that didnt make the cut on the trilogy

Laly

Laly
  • Moving Target

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2009
  • 15,184 rep

Nice!!! I'm sure it will be awesome! :happy:

inthehallwaynow

inthehallwaynow
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,724 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2012
  • 4,952 rep

not only is he perfectly equipped for this its probably a good idea, maybe it will keep him busy and turn out to be a soothing experience..

Schlappy

Schlappy
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Joined Jul 07, 2010
  • 2,277 rep

not only is he perfectly equipped for this its probably a good idea, maybe it will keep him busy and turn out to be a soothing experience..

exactly. I see this more as giving him something to do rather than putting pressure on him. he doesnt have to worry about performing them he can just keep himself occupied doing what he loves in between green day shows.

Not that i had any problems with AI i loved it, but i'm hoping this musical incorporates more mature actors. I'm looking for something different than young kids prancing around. 

• inthehallwaynow and Mara Garcia Green Day like this

alaniluau

alaniluau
  • Like Every Other American

• 4,614 posts
  • Joined Jun 26, 2009
  • 1,180 rep

OH MY LORD BILLIE IS DOING SHAKESPEARE. :woot: 

This is...huge. Why are there only 40-some replies thus far? Ever since Billie mentioned he'd like to write for theatre, I desperately hoped he would keep his word. This project, as others have mentioned, shows that the world at large is beginning to respect our darling Billie Joe as more than just a California hombre with a couple of fluke songs. Theatre is a whole new leap into the depths of maturity, regard, and sophistication. 

Something tells me I'll be making more than a few trips to New Haven. 

• warding_off_regrets, BillieJoeObsesser, Elena and 1 other like this

Advertising

tdlyon

tdlyon
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • Joined Oct 12, 2012
  • 752 rep

This is awesome. I remember him saying he wanted to do something like this.

HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade
  • And now for something completely different...

• 4,783 posts
  • Joined Feb 15, 2013
  • 2,793 rep

Let's hope this doesn't turn out like Bono and Spider-Man  :happy:

• thatdude03 likes this

dolce_amore93

dolce_amore93
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Joined Dec 05, 2010
  • 1,241 rep

When I saw this headline on GDA I got a huge smile on my face. I think its really cool for Billie to be writing songs not related to any of the bands he's in. He's an excellent writer, and it makes me so happy that his talents are being recognized in this way. It sounds like a really awesome project - he's going to be interpreting Shakespeare! I'm so excited for him.  :happy:

BillieJoeObsesser

BillieJoeObsesser
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Joined Aug 18, 2009
  • 1,157 rep
I would love if he could put on another musical that is Green Day related or not.

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 37,925 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 14,813 rep

While I'm excited to see what comes from it, there's a part of me that doesn't want him to kick it right back into high gear and over-working himself. That said, music is his passion, and I'm sure he's happier working on something than sitting around. We are opposites.

• dolce_amore93 and WestboundSign! like this

dolce_amore93

dolce_amore93
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Joined Dec 05, 2010
  • 1,241 rep

^ His and the band's idea of not overwhelming themselves with work amuses the heck out of me. This is their version of taking it easy. Ha! 

• Bastard of 1967 likes this

justcause

justcause
  • Marvel

• 3,743 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2005
  • 812 rep

POPULAR

While I'm excited to see what comes from it, there's a part of me that doesn't want him to kick it right back into high gear and over-working himself. That said, music is his passion, and I'm sure he's happier working on something than sitting around. We are opposites.

I think - and really hope - that this new dawn of Green Day means there will be re-evaluation of how things are done.  I hope that Billie Joe now knows that it doesn't have to be fucking frantic, and that he has the confidence to stake out a space for stuff he wants to do, like this.  I've never entirely thought of Green Day as just a band - I know that's central to who they are, but it's not all that they are.  I think of them as a group of artists : each of them has lots of angles and interests, and with Billie Joe - shit, he has so much to explore, and I really hope he's opening up to that now and embracing it.

• Hermione, Bastard of 1967, GDM and 3 others like this

IcyMoffatt

IcyMoffatt
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2013
  • 49 rep
That's something Billie Joe wanted to do ever since American Idiot was on Broadway. I'm happy for him. He's reaching his goal. At the same time, it's funny. It's the punk musician «meeting» the master of classical theater, Shakespear. But I like the idea anyway.
  • Bastard of 1967, dolce_amore93, Elena and 1 other like this

Bastard of 1967

Bastard of 1967
  • Hero For The Lost Cause

• 2,834 posts
  • Joined Apr 07, 2009
  • 2,577 rep

When I saw this headline on GDA I got a huge smile on my face. I think its really cool for Billie to be writing songs not related to any of the bands he's in. He's an excellent writer, and it makes me so happy that his talents are being recognized in this way. It sounds like a really awesome project - he's going to be interpreting Shakespeare! I'm so excited for him. :happy:

Something really different about this vs. American Idiot is that this will be brand-new music he's writing from scratch; it won't be doing again what I think was a much harder task last time he did a musical -- that is, adapting for the stage already-written music that was kinda-sorta-but-maybe-not-really intended for a stage show. I'd actually like to see him stay focused on the music (collaborating with Tom Kitt like Heather suggested would be ACE!) this time as opposed to attempting to do the whole book; I think his real talent lies with the music and professional stage script writers should be engaged to weave that music into a tight plot. That will distinguish this new work from what he did with American Idiot, be a more manageable task than AI was, probably have a greater chance of long-term success if the book ends up the better for it, and for fuck's sake it'll keep him out of New York City where he ALWAYS seems to find trouble too easily. :lol:

Spoiler

This is utterly fantastic news. Like many of you I'm concerned about him overworking himself, what with a big tour ahead and there being something of a time crunch and outside pressure with this thing needing to premiere by next March, he would obviously have to have all the songs done well beforehand. I don't know how long things are typically in workshop/pre-production mode (especially for Yale Rep as opposed to other theaters) but this being something somewhat outside of Green Day's control, Billie Joe being hired on as the songwriter actually does put him in a position of "need to finish writing by X date."  That being said, I'm sure Billie signed up for this because he read the story and got excited and felt creatively stimulated by it, so I'm sure he's going in with enthusiasm. 

I think it's entirely possible Billie could find himself in this play one day, but even if he doesn't, I really love the credibility it gives him as a songwriter. It will be really interesting to see how these things are imagined without Mike or Tre? I guess it's not all that different, we've seen in Cuatro how Billie sits alone in his studio and records drums and bass tracks...

Also, if he can get Tom Kitt in there somehow... golden.

I'm concerned about him overdoing it again as well...however, we also know that especially with Billie, idle hands are the devil's fucking playground. :lol:   I'd much prefer to see him having a blast being creative again (and getting a second bite at the musical apple that he's been longing for ever since AIOB closed up shop!) than sitting around bored off his ass.  Keep him busy -- not overloaded, just busy -- and creative, and maybe he'll be able to keep things in the rails this time.

alaniluau

alaniluau
  • Like Every Other American

• 4,614 posts
  • Joined Jun 26, 2009
  • 1,180 rep

I'm concerned about him overdoing it again as well...however, we also know that especially with Billie, idle hands are the devil's fucking playground. :lol:   I'd much prefer to see him having a blast being creative again (and getting a second bite at the musical apple that he's been longing for ever since AIOB closed up shop!) than sitting around bored off his ass.  Keep him busy -- not overloaded, just busy -- and creative, and maybe he'll be able to keep things in the rails this time.

I think this will be a fabulous opportunity to get his creative gears flowing in a different direction. I delighted in seeing the subtle changes in his performances post-Broadway. It seems as though spending time with the awesome theatre geeks helped inspire much of the artistic thought that became the trilogy. I agree that as long as he doesn't get too overwhelmed, this will be a positive experience for all involved.
  • Bastard of 1967 likes this

justcause

justcause
  • Marvel

• 3,743 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2005
  • 812 rep

Something really different about this vs. American Idiot is that this will be brand-new music he's writing from scratch; it won't be doing again what I think was a much harder task last time he did a musical -- that is, adapting for the stage already-written music that was kinda-sorta-but-maybe-not-really intended for a stage show. I'd actually like to see him stay focused on the music (collaborating with Tom Kitt like Heather suggested would be ACE!) this time as opposed to attempting to do the whole book; I think his real talent lies with the music and professional stage script writers should be engaged to weave that music into a tight plot. That will distinguish this new work from what he did with American Idiot, be a more manageable task than AI was, probably have a greater chance of long-term success if the book ends up the better for it, and for fuck's sake it'll keep him out of New York City where he ALWAYS seems to find trouble too easily. :lol:

My take on his deal with AI was that he basically had input - Mayer was staging the album as opera, and Billie Joe shot him some extra songs that were already written to expand it somewhat.  This time, he's creating something new and purpose-built, and that to someone else's purpose - a riff off Shakespeare's original.  It's cool because it will put him in another space, outside of himself, and there's a freedom to that, and a learning.  So yeah they can go 'we need a song to express whatever from whatever character in whatever situation, and he can provide it - and maybe in the process, check out the origin, engage with Shakespeare. 

All of it is steps to creating something that's wholly his own - the next thing. :)

• Bastard of 1967 and Jimmy McNulty like this

Heather.

Heather.
  • Peacemaker

• 4,272 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 6,525 rep

POPULAR

I think these details are new!  Super cool about the kid-school screenings.

paperbulletssmheader.jpg

World Premiere
THESE PAPER BULLETS
Adapted by ROLIN JONES
From William Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing
Songs by BILLIE JOE ARMSTRONG
Directed by JACKSON GAY

March 14-April 5, 2014 
University Theatre (222 York Street)
  About These Paper Bullets

Meet the Quartos. Ben, Claude, Balth, and Pedro. Their fans worship them. Scotland Yard fears them. And their former drummer will stop at nothing to destroy them. Can these fab four from Liverpool find true love in London and cut an album in seven nights? These Paper Bullets is a rocking and rolling version of Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing with a serious backbeat.

Adapted by Pulitzer Prize and Emmy Award nominated writer Rolin Jones (Friday Night LightsWeeds) and featuring new songs by Grammy Award winning Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong, who wrote the Tony Award winning musical American IdiotThese Paper Bullets is directed by Jackson Gay, who staged Jones’s The Intelligent Design of Jenny Chow at Yale Rep in 2004.

Please note: These Paper Bullets is Yale Rep’s 2013-2014 WILL POWER!production. The run includes three 10:30AM performances on March 31, April 2, and 3, 2014, recommended for 9th-12th grade school groups. For information on WILL POWER! performances, please contact Ruth M. Feldman at (203) 432-8425 or rm.feldman@yale.edu or click here.

http://www.yalerep.o...perbullets.html

• WhiteTim, Maria Gloria, Jimmy McNulty and 2 others like this

Eternity Ragnarok

Eternity Ragnarok
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2013
  • 112 rep
  • Location:It may be my Ragnarok but it is not for eternity...

Is there anymore news?

billieve

billieve
  • Peacemaker

• 4,558 posts
  • Joined Feb 22, 2012
  • 5,226 rep

:dance: I have tickets to opening night.

• Mar likes this

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 21,642 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 5,748 rep

:dance: I have tickets to opening night.

You better write up a complete review (and film/tape anything you possibly can)!! Congrats and have fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users