Billie Joe Armstrong to Write Songs for Yale Repertory Theater Show

BillieJoeObsesser

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just got the email saying tonights showing is cancelled due to technical issues. ughhhh. this sucks

sounds like its still on for tomorrow as of right now

click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_144818146939

Via @pretzone Doug G and @BJAofficial after These Paper Bullets! @Atlantic Theatre NYC 21St November 2015

CUZLeHbWoAARqlv.jpg

@LDLoeb: Great time seeing These Paper Bullets tonight. We were sitting right in front of @BJAofficial, who wrote the music.

Mahima Saigal @MahimaSaigal 2 hours ago
@Conorperkins AAAAAAAAH @BJAofficial ASKED ME FOR A PLAYBILL

@LDLoeb: Saw a preview of These Paper Bullets! this evening. Based on Shakespeare, music by @BJAofficial. Worth seeing. https://atlantictheater.org/playevents/thesepaperbullets/ 

@LDLoeb:@BJAofficial Was a real pleasure 4 @MicheleMeises & I 2 meet U 2nite. Thank U again 4 all ur great music & especially Last Night on Earth.

@GDLoT @GreenDayMind I loved it! Very funny, and great music ! Very small theater this time, too.

oldestchickinthepit ‏@Pretzone 13h13 hours ago

@GDLoT @GreenDayMind Different. Sort of. And this was just the first preview. There's stuff they have to tweak. But still very funny.

1 hour ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

I read this and the first thing I could think of was didn't the NJ Bitch go see this.........?????

Unfortunately I am going on saturday.  I'm not going to hold my breath that billie will be there for a week of previews.  This theater fits about 100 people so if he is there, you can be confident that I will shove it in the face of every gdc'er.

10 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Unfortunately I am going on saturday.  I'm not going to hold my breath that billie will be there for a week of previews.  This theater fits about 100 people so if he is there, you can be confident that I will shove it in the face of every gdc'er.

He is there again tonight if that is any encouragement ;)

13 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

That's the spirit.

55 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Bring some bleach with you just in case. The blonde Billie fans are counting on you. 

@joeybombstyle#thesepaperbullets what a wonderful show laughed so hard @TodayTix   @AtlanticTheater #rolinjones #PaperBulletsATC #jacksongay @BJAofficial

Dara Epstein ‏@epsteindara 10h10 hours ago

Being in the audience with Billie Joe Armstrong for These Paper Bullets at the @AtlanticTheater was such a nice way to end a long week.

hannah ‏@mrsbenwyatt 13h13 hours ago

Just saw These Paper Bullets.....wow. Literally no words. Go buy your tickets NOW

On 11/22/2015, 8:09:26, st_trillie said:

Sorry for the quote, I have no idea why it is there and I can't get rid of it.

Anyway, finally going to see the show tomorrow.  It should be a fun day, shopping, the show and ending at the M&M Store.    

39 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Sorry for the quote, I have no idea why it is there and I can't get rid of it.

Anyway, finally going to see the show tomorrow.  It should be a fun day, shopping, the show and ending at the M&M Store.    

:DIt's fine...It's GDC it'll do that to ya! Have fun tomorrow ;) Keep an eye out you may spot Billie and his friend :lol:

10919573_1524308434546925_177614062_n.jp

@jesspom423 #thesepaperbullets @billiejoearmstrong @daheartbreakkid #happybirthday 

@jainibai Saw this in subway #thesepaperbullets

12237064_143028222726349_1357275071_n.jp

@callmeashmal It's been a great couple of days

12292698_329047483886068_1311361187_n.jp

@maggieoberrender Turns out I love #MuchAdoAboutNothing in any context. Such a fun night at @atlantictheater! #ThesePaperBullets  

12224221_657716434368190_2076670460_n.jp

@thevictoriarussell Justin Kirk. JUSTIN KIRK. Go see #ThesePaperBullets. It's too much. It's amazing. It's sublime. It's perfect theatre. 

12224078_1044194965632798_961684494_n.jp

@ariventuri Oh, hello @nymag #thesepaperbullets #atlantictheatercompany  

12276726_1677472375823564_1316470287_n.j

@chloeis__ #musicalmondays These Paper Bullets is a must see. It was absolutely hilarious and the entire cast was INCREDIBLE! The show is currently in previews, and I can't wait to see it again! A big shout out to my girl @nfparkergirl as well because she kicked ass, as usual . #broadway #musicals #thesepaperbullets #atc 

12093387_1210860842274389_1391265693_n.j

@sassygal24 Culture. Brought to you by @atlantictheater and #thesepaperbullets #atlantictheatercompany #playbill #shakespeare #billiejoelarmstrong #mod #sixties #welcometothesixties #musical #theater #fabfour  

12237341_1826604120899908_600036772_n.jp

@john2mv The writer Billie Joe Armstrong was in attendance #greenday #AmericanIdiot #nyc #offbroadway #thesepaperbullets 

12277605_865881803528455_1757607421_n.jp

@r1medina reniel - would have loved to see this. Did you spot him out of the crowd? 

john2mv - No i met him at intermission he was sitting two rows in front of me

I didn't meet Billie and his friend.  :(  But, if anyone is questioning if Billie can still write a song, they need to see this show.

People were asking about Dreamcatcher.  It really isn't in the show.  They talk about it as a new Quatro single and play a snippet but you really don't hear it until the encore.  It is not played live, it is recorded.  Honestly, it is the worst song in the play by far.

I thought this was odd but they do not list the names of the songs.  There were two songs that really stood out.  The first ended the first act.  If I had to guess a name I would say You Broke My Heart.  It was, of course, very Beatles-esque but with a modern punk anger added to it.  The second was a love song which I will call Irresponsibly Yours.  It started out as a ballad but built up to something faster like the way WMUWSE and RHS does.  Overall the songs were fun, lively with great lyrics.  The whole audience could not help but tap their toes. 

Overall the play was funny and entertaining.  It had alot of slapstick moments that fit in perfectly with the timeframe.  There were alot of sex jokes, but again that was timeframe appropriate.  I had my daughters with me and I didn't cringe at any of the jokes so I would say they were done well.

I have one major and one minor criticism of the show.  We were in the front row and the actors smoked like chimneys.  I know it is timeframe appropriate for them to smoke but I felt like choking at times.  They really should have cut it down or used e cigs.

My minor complaint is that the dialogue switched between iambic penta minor and modern speech.  It sometimes became a bit hard to follow.

One interesting thing is that the playbill said that Rolin Jones has completed the script for the movie version of American Idiot.

I'm not saying this for my love of Billie (remember #1 Billie fan) but the star of this show was really the score.  If the next GD album has the same quality standards of the score of this show, GDC will be a happy place 

Thanks for the review! Now I want an album of Billie singing all the songs please :P 

I really hope a soundtrack will eventually be released for this. Though as much as I'd like to hear them as they are in the show, my inner fangirl will also be disappointed if it doesn't include the Billie versions of the songs :P

Archived