Billie Joe Armstrong to Write Songs for Yale Repertory Theater Show

BillieJoeObsesser

On 11/22/2015, 8:09:26, st_trillie said:

He is there again tonight if that is any encouragement ;)

Did you really expect otherwise?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Dan3siko said:

Great review! i saw the show when it was playing in Connecticut last year, and it was honestly the best play i've ever seen. The songs are amazing! I recorded the song "regretfully yours" on my phone, and you can listen/watch it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBmkxOcmWxA

Yes, it was probably Regretfully Yours, I got the name wrong.  Did they give the names of the songs at Yale?  They did not list the names of the songs in the PLaybill, which surprised me.  

The quality is not bad.  Such a great song.  Did you get the song that I think is titled YOu Broke My Heart?  

17 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Yes, it was probably Regretfully Yours, I got the name wrong.  Did they give the names of the songs at Yale?  They did not list the names of the songs in the PLaybill, which surprised me.  

No, they didn't list any of the names in the playbill i have. They did release a kind of cast recording of three or four of the full songs, though, in those videos the yale rep put on youtube a while ago. the recordings aren't professional, but the words and titles of songs are clear. 

35 minutes ago, Dan3siko said:

No, they didn't list any of the names in the playbill i have. They did release a kind of cast recording of three or four of the full songs, though, in those videos the yale rep put on youtube a while ago. the recordings aren't professional, but the words and titles of songs are clear. 

Is Dreamcatcher with the cast recording

36 minutes ago, Jon Benjamin said:

Is Dreamcatcher with the cast recording

Dreamcatcher wasn't mentioned, or played when i saw it. The cast videos they have are for "baby blue", "follow you around", and "last time". I have "regretfully yours" and "Keeps me satisfied" recorded on my phone from the play. I think those are all of the full songs that are played in the show. 

heres the link for "Keeps me satisfied" though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKBkJw88BSc

21 minutes ago, Dan3siko said:

Dreamcatcher wasn't mentioned, or played when i saw it. The cast videos they have are for "baby blue", "follow you around", and "last time". I have "regretfully yours" and "Keeps me satisfied" recorded on my phone from the play. I think those are all of the full songs that are played in the show. 

heres the link for "Keeps me satisfied" though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKBkJw88BSc

There are more songs in the show now.  My favorite was, I think called You Broke My Heart and it ended the 1st act.  There were more than 5 full songs.  There were also a bunch of snippets of other songs.  Since they did not list the song names it is hard   I actually recorded it on my voice recorder and I have 15 different things recorded, but I did record the little snippets.  Based on the times , it looks like 8 full songs.  I am going to try and download them tomorrow 

https://soundcloud.com/judijake/love-dont-cost-a-thingI finally downloaded the songs.  The quality is not spectacular, but it doesn't suck either considering it was recorded on my phone and my phone was in my purse.  You will hear come clapping during it and some movement, but you can definitely get an idea of the song.  The do not give the song names, so I guessed on most of them.  So the song titles might not be accurate.  My favorites were Regrettably YOurs and You Broke My Heart.   

I hope everyone enjoys them.  I think they are great.

Thanks Judi! They're really cool, he's so good at capturing that Beatles sound.

It sounds like Billie has vocals on the Dreamcatcher clip especially towards the end. I wonder if it's his demo with them singing over or a cast recording with him in the background. 

On 11/28/2015, 8:28:49, JJ1964 said:

People were asking about Dreamcatcher.  It really isn't in the show.  They talk about it as a new Quatro single and play a snippet but you really don't hear it until the encore.  It is not played live, it is recorded.  Honestly, it is the worst song in the play by far.

They talk about Quatro in the play? Why?

10 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

They talk about Quatro in the play? Why?

In the play, the name of the band is The Quatros.  There is one part of the play where they say Dream catcher is theit next single

• 2 weeks later...

'Love Me Ado: THESE PAPER BULLETS! Tunefully Conflates Beatles And Bard'
By Phoebe Honbant | Dec 15, 2015 | The Village Voice

Shakespeare performed in modern dress is nothing new, but Rolin Jones ups the ante considerably with his antic pop confection These Paper Bullets! This version of Much Ado About Nothing features toe-tapping, carbonated songs by Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong that convincingly channel the early Beatles, from super-sweet lyrics to hummable harmonies. The dialogue is a conflation of Sixties lingo and faux Elizabethan, generously sprinkled with nods to both Beatles and Bard.

It takes a minute to adjust to the funny, frequently raunchy banter. But the visual sync is instantaneous: The candy-colored miniskirts, Twiggy haircuts, and Mary Quant–style flower logos are spot on, vividly evoking the Fab Four's youthquake era. The band, complete with trademark bowl cuts, is all here (cleverly called the Quartos — shades of Shakespeare), performing with contagious brio. Occasional audience participation, including characters racing through the aisles and black-and-white video projections of unwitting theatergoers in simulated BBC news footage, adds to the general hilarity.

The double — and double-crossed — romance of Much Ado becomes the story of Claude (the Quartos' Paul) and Higgy, the Twiggy-like It-girl and model for Bea, the mod designer of the moment. Then there's the villainous former Quarto Don Best, who conspires, pre-Photoshop, to doctor a pic of Higgy's gal pal Ulcie shagging a burly tabloid writer in order to manufacture evidence that Higgy has betrayed her betrothed. But all's well that ends well, right down to double vows and a rousing rock number. Great fun.

These Paper Bullets!
By Rolin Jones
Linda Gross Theater
336 West 20th Street
212-691-5919, atlantictheater.org

Billie Joe Armstrong Musical These Paper Bullets! Officially Opens Tonight

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/billie-joe-armstrong-musical-these-paper-bullets-officially-opens-tonight-375500

Justin Kirk and Nicole Parker Bring the '60s to Life in These Paper Bullets!

http://www.theatermania.com/off-broadway/news/these-paper-bullets-production-photos_75267.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Billie has been nominated for a Drama Desk Award (awarded for excellence in New York theatre) - Outstanding Music in a Play, These Paper Bullets.

Interestingly Tom Kitt who arranged the music for the American Idiot musical and arranged strings on 21stCB and the trilogy is also nominated in same category for Cymbeline.

Archived