Boston Hatch Shell Riot

jonnyasshat

Nobody noticed I bumped the comments section for this show at setlist.fm, so I thought I'd bring my question to the quicker responding hardcore Green Day fans here-

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/green-day/1994/hatch-shell-boston-ma-3d4a5e7.html

^ The setlist said the last song of the concert was F.O.D. but that was before this video surfaced. So do you guys think that the former setlist was wrong and that the last song of the show was Basket Case, or was it superbly edited on the news clip?

Also, the audio audience recording of this show might help answer those questions, but I don't have access to it. I tried the link in the downloads section and it didn't work for me. Not sure if I did it wrong though.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes I hate the fucking police :D, great stuff! I'd heard about this so many times it's quite surreal to finally see footage of it, looks like it really was as crazy as they said.

Thanks and welcome to GDC mysterious awesome video bringer!

Nobody noticed I bumped the comments section for this show at setlist.fm, so I thought I'd bring my question to the quicker responding hardcore Green Day fans here-

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/green-day/1994/hatch-shell-boston-ma-3d4a5e7.html

^ The setlist said the last song of the concert was F.O.D. but that was before this video surfaced. So do you guys think that the former setlist was wrong and that the last song of the show was Basket Case, or was it superbly edited on the news clip?

Also, the audio audience recording of this show might help answer those questions, but I don't have access to it. I tried the link in the downloads section and it didn't work for me. Not sure if I did it wrong though.

I don't think that Basket Case was the last song of the show.

When they finished Basket Case, i think that they putted a clip from the end of the show.

I think that FOD was the last song of the show :)

yeah fod is the last song. theres a bootleg of the whole show floating around

it was just a news edit after basket case

Man, Green Day shows were so much more fucked up back then. I wish I was there to experience that era. :D

I'm all about doing things for the story, but as a small person with no real desire to get trampled or beaten up, I'm perfectly content seeing Green Day in the more secure, family-friendly arenas of the 21st century :)

So this is where this picture came from?

Yes, that's from that show !

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bumping this topic, but where do you think that the uploader founded this ?

And, do you think that there's more footage from this gig ?

Awesome footage. My mom was at this show (she's never been a huge GD fan, it was more just a night out with co-workers for her) and she's told me stories about the insanity of it all since I was a kid, so this show has fascinated me for years. It's always cool to me when new footage of it surfaces. :P

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Is the video still around? The video originally posted isn't available anymore

• 2 weeks later...

Longview: Looking back on the Green Day ‘riot’ at the Hatch Shell, 20 years ago today

With the Replacements in town over the weekend for Boston Calling, there was some question of whether Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong would join the Minneapolis band on stage for a few songs. After all, Armstrong had done just that for previous ‘Mats reunion shows, including Coachella, and there was a certain anniversary on the horizon that would forever tie the Green Day frontman to our city: the 20th anniversary of the alleged “riot” at the Hatch Shell for a WFNX 101.7 FM “Welcome Back Weekend” student concert. The event drew — depending on whom you ask — nearly 100,000 people, and is cited as one of the reasons no one is allowed to have fun anymore in Boston.

Oh, and OK Soda was a sponsor — how fucking ’90s is that? .

In 2006, co-presenters the Boston Phoenix ranked it as the 6th greatest Boston concert of all time. Check out what Ted Drozdowski wrote below, and after the words, relive the magic with a look back via the Jason Steeves WFNX documentary, We Want The Airwaves, and other news footage from the debacle.

In July of 1994, when WFNX and the Phoenix started making inquires about the availability of bands for their free welcome-back-to-school concert at the Hatch Shell and Green Day’s name came up, no one could have predicted how quickly the Bay Area brats would rise to mega-popularity. August saw the band steal the show at Woodstock ’94 with a set that ended with a massive set-ending mud fight that was replayed on MTV ad nauseam over the next couple of weeks alongside the “Longview” and “Basket Case” videos.

Dookie
was certified platinum by the beginning of September, and on September 9, somewhere between 70,000 and 100,000 people showed up at the Esplanade. No one — not the MDC, the state police, the Wizard Security staff, or the Phoenix/FNX folks — was ready for such an enormous, mosh-happy mob or the snotty three-piece who coaxed the crowd to tear down the FNX balloon before plunging into the flower beds and tearing them up in front of the stage.

The crowd broke through the barriers and the plug was pulled just 20 minutes into the set. More than 100 people were injured (24 shipped to local hospitals), 31 were arrested, and Green Day went on to become the most successful punk band of all time. As Wizard Security owner Jeff Freedman said at the time, “It was the band, the location, the audience — the total atmosphere. I don’t think it will ever be duplicated.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DccMPNNHg6s

http://www.vanyaland.com/2014/09/09/longview-looking-back-green-day-riot-hatch-shell-20-years-ago-today/

• 6 months later...

Some other footage from that surfaced this month !!!!!!!

Thanks to Andre Daniel !!!!!!

Welcome to Paradise

Basket Case and When I Come Around

Burnout and FOD and the end of the concert

In the amateur footage it looks like the amps are being recorded by mics, so I'd assume this exists in the archives somewhere. Hopefully it isn't lost or destroyed like other artist's material. Archiving tapes doesn't always mean they're safe and able to be located. *Sigh*

In the amateur footage it looks like the amps are being recorded by mics, so I'd assume this exists in the archives somewhere. Hopefully it isn't lost or destroyed like other artist's material. Archiving tapes doesn't always mean they're safe and able to be located. *Sigh*

Cabs are mic'd on stage most of the time if it's going through the pa

Archived