DoubleTen95

Guitar

DoubleTen95

This thread is for anyone who plays guitar or just likes the guitar in general. Here you can talk about the guitar and how it pertains to you. Or give tips and talk technical talk with other guitarists. Just general conversation about one of the greatest inventions on Earth.

Eva

I play guitar but I'm not that good. I just have a shitty one I bought a pawn shop for 40 bucks :P I need a new one. The strings are a lot harder to press down on than other guitars I've played, even though I've changed the strings quite a few times.

Along the line of strings, does anyone actually change their strings every few weeks? I've always been told to by the guys working in music shops and all, but none of my guitar playing friends change them that often and it just seems like a huge waste of money to me.

Cob

I play guitar but I'm not that good. I just have a shitty one I bought a pawn shop for 40 bucks :P I need a new one. The strings are a lot harder to press down on than other guitars I've played, even though I've changed the strings quite a few times.

Along the line of strings, does anyone actually change their strings every few weeks? I've always been told to by the guys working in music shops and all, but none of my guitar playing friends change them that often and it just seems like a huge waste of money to me.

I change my strings every 3-6 months because I play frequently and my skin is a bit acidic so I tend to dull strings quickly. I also change them frequently because I love the sound/feel of new strings.

Eva

I change my strings every 3-6 months because I play frequently and my skin is a bit acidic so I tend to dull strings quickly. I also change them frequently because I love the sound/feel of new strings.

That's about how often I change my strings. The guy at Guitar Center told me to change strings every 3-4 weeks though, and I was like "I bet no one ever changes strings that often." Professional guitarists might, but not kids like me, that's for sure.

Cob

That's about how often I change my strings. The guy at Guitar Center told me to change strings every 3-4 weeks though, and I was like "I bet no one ever changes strings that often." Professional guitarists might, but not kids like me, that's for sure.

Professional guitarists change their strings that often based on performances. If you're in a touring band, they usually get changed every night. Some people even prefer the feel of old worn strings than new ones. It really comes down to tone, income, hygiene and personal preference.

• Like 1

Cob

I shall upload a picture of my new Tele as soon as I'm not too lazy to find the picture. I can't wait to share my ladies with GDC.

• Like 1

Sarahnade

This thread is for anyone who plays guitar or just likes the guitar in general. Here you can talk about the guitar and how it pertains to you. Or give tips and talk technical talk with other guitarists. Just general conversation about one of the greatest inventions on Earth. By the way, I looked all over and I didn't find anything exactly like this but if it's too generic or whatever, by all means close it!

Thanks for making this thread. I considered making something like this awhile ago, but I'm glad to see someone else had the same idea.

By the way, not to be creepy, but I saw your location on the side and I've been to Anderson. :D

• Like 1

Mandy_PunkRock

I love guitars and I like this thread!

My father teached me to play guitar. He played in a band when he was a teenager so he bought a Fender Stratocaster years ago. I must say that I'm not that good (hell, I think I'm terrible) and I haven't been playing guitar for many months since I'm busy with university or other hobbies. I need to play guitar again and try to improve.

• Like 1

fiercecircus

I haven't played in ages, but i will join in:

My first guitar was a fender acoustic/electric my dad got for me used. We used to share it until his arthritis got too bad.

Pretty much like this one:
Fender_T-Bucket_300CE_Sunburst_3_copy2.j

Then i whined until i got an electric for my birthday when i was 15/16. Basic white squier strat. Nothing fancy, i stuck stickers all over it and shit. It is not a great guitar, but it did the job. The frets are super sharp on one side so i used to cut myself on it while playing all the time.

Next: my Danelectro:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUI_8aQhsvCw7KfupnwDZoEUuSTn0KVW1Fl7FLpW2S-PfksZRI

Mine is like that one only grey instead of pink. I picked it up used on New Years Even 2004 for $150. I love it. It does the "cheap-but-good" thing well. Also it's light as hell.

I do wish i had something with a humbucker in it though.

Amps: Not that i've played thru it in forever, but i have a Peavey roadmaster from the 70's that we got "broken" from a friend. It just needed a new fuse. It was a total find. It is the same amp Thurston Moore uses and people get their panties all wet over that. I just like it b/c it is really LOUD. and also i got it for the cost of a fuse. I play it thru a Laney cab i got for $110, but i could def. play through something better.

Joe and i also love the Line 6 Pods. They're fucking fabulous for practicing or mimicking other bands sounds.

Edit to add: well SINCE i'm a total gear nerd we'll add everything else we have too...

I also have a squier bass, which i got in college and is again a total piece of shit. Squiers are good for learning on or for backup, but not much else since they sound like ass. The main redeeming value of this instrument is that i put letter stickers on it which say "FUCK OFF" In big sparkly letters. #punx.

Joe has a MusicMan Stingray Bass which is pretty epic, which i can not remember what he plays through because he fucking sells his gear and upgrades all the time. When i met him he was using a Hartke, then a SWR, Now i seriously don't know. He might still have the SWR, i think he's using a Sunn head. He's got two guitars (which is silly because he really sucks at guitar); one is a Univox Japanese Les Paul knockoff (one of the really good ones they got sued over!), the other is a self made Tele copy (the franken-Tele.). I think the Tele is a POS... i don't think he knew what he was doing when he made it but i will give him credit for it all actually working. It makes noise and everything is wired correctly. It just doesn't sound that great (and he can't play it that great.)

Also he has a 5150 head and a Randall Cab. I like my head better, but his cab is better. Also, he buys pedals like they're candy- I could really give a fuck less about pedals (though i loved the RAT distortion, until he had a nerd-friend modify it. *sigh*.)

We also have a drum-machine thingie that i can't remember what make it is (but again, we got it broken and had a nerd friend fix it. We have a nerdy friend who makes his own pedals and effects boxes. Electronic Engineer FTW. Sometimes he'll modify talking kids toys as birthday presents.)

• Like 1

pasalacquaian

350-793060-894__1.jpg

okay, so that's the guitar I recently got (her name's Felice...teehee :D ). It's better than the one I've been borrowing for sure but I'm wondering if anyone has used one of these before..? It's a george washburn mini jumbo by the way, so if you know anyone who's used one/has one or if you've used one/had one I'd be curious to know how good the tone is compared to other guitars (I've only been playing since september :ninja: ) and how long it'll last me.

Off topic: I really like the colour and it's so godamn shiny!!!

I haven't played in ages, but i will join in:

My first guitar was a fender acoustic/electric my dad got for me used. We used to share it until his arthritis got too bad.

Pretty much like this one:
Fender_T-Bucket_300CE_Sunburst_3_copy2.j

Then i whined until i got an electric for my birthday when i was 15/16. Basic white squier strat. Nothing fancy, i stuck stickers all over it and shit. It is not a great guitar, but it did the job. The frets are super sharp on one side so i used to cut myself on it while playing all the time.

Next: my Danelectro:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUI_8aQhsvCw7KfupnwDZoEUuSTn0KVW1Fl7FLpW2S-PfksZRI

Mine is like that one only grey instead of pink. I picked it up used on New Years Even 2004 for $150. I love it. It does the "cheap-but-good" thing well. Also it's light as hell.

I do wish i had something with a humbucker in it though.

Amps: Not that i've played thru it in forever, but i have a Peavey roadmaster from the 70's that we got "broken" from a friend. It just needed a new fuse. It was a total find. It is the same amp Thurston Moore uses and people get their panties all wet over that. I just like it b/c it is really LOUD. and also i got it for the cost of a fuse. I play it thru a Laney cab i got for $110, but i could def. play through something better.

Joe and i also love the Line 6 Pods. They're fucking fabulous for practicing or mimicking other bands sounds.

I love your Danelectro, it's gorgeous!! :wub:

• Like 1

DoubleTen95

Yeah my first black Squier bullet is shit although I want to trick it out when i learn how to do it. i have an acoustic Huntington that I got new for $45 and I love it! It's my "punk" acoustic (i just put stickers and handwriting on it :P ) my other electric is an epiphone les paul and she's a beauty! i dont change my strings until they break or i have some spares and extra time. it can get expensive at times if you're one of those who changes after every show. thank god i'm not one of those people!

Thanks for making this thread. I considered making something like this awhile ago, but I'm glad to see someone else had the same idea.

By the way, not to be creepy, but I saw your location on the side and I've been to Anderson. :D

Noice! Why didn't you take me with you? :P

960c61d1b3_31uGPF3RXnL.jpg Here's my black acoustic. Don't let it fool you, it's really nice for $45!

313-gDr3NXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg Here's my Epiphone! Remind you of anyone's? :creep: This picture does not do the color any justice, it's much more vibrant and not dull at all!

• Like 1

Lauren

I really like Epiphones, but I think the Epiphone Les Paul Junior isn't "right", because it uses a humbucker instead of a P-90. The P-90 is where all the awesome tone comes from!

I recently bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special with P-90s, and they were amazing, especially for a cheap guitar. So I don't know why they just can't put in the P-90 for the junior.

By the way, Epiphone beats Squier ALL THE WAY. The necks are better, the tuners are better, the pickups are better. If you're going with a American Fender vs. a Gibson, it's more of a close call. but Epiphone is pretty quality for being cheap.

• Like 2

DoubleTen95

My next goal is to get a Telecaster!!!

pasalacquaian

Yeah my first black Squier bullet is shit although I want to trick it out when i learn how to do it. i have an acoustic Huntington that I got new for $45 and I love it! It's my "punk" acoustic (i just put stickers and handwriting on it :P ) my other electric is an epiphone les paul and she's a beauty! i dont change my strings until they break or i have some spares and extra time. it can get expensive at times if you're one of those who changes after every show. thank god i'm not one of those people!

Noice! Why didn't you take me with you? :P

960c61d1b3_31uGPF3RXnL.jpg Here's my black acoustic. Don't let it fool you, it's really nice for $45!

313-gDr3NXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg Here's my Epiphone! Remind you of anyone's? :creep: This picture does not do the color any justice, it's much more vibrant and not dull at all!

pretty guitars everywhere!! :wub:

I honestly need to get myself an electric, all I have is my steel string acoustic (previously shown) and an old classical guitar

DoubleTen95

I really like Epiphones, but I think the Epiphone Les Paul Junior isn't "right", because it uses a humbucker instead of a P-90. The P-90 is where all the awesome tone comes from!

I recently bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special with P-90s, and they were amazing, especially for a cheap guitar. So I don't know why they just can't put in the P-90 for the junior.

By the way, Epiphone beats Squier ALL THE WAY. The necks are better, the tuners are better, the pickups are better. If you're going with a American Fender vs. a Gibson, it's more of a close call. but Epiphone is pretty quality for being cheap.

yeah, it's not the best out there but it suits me fine and everyone that's heard me with it says its waaaayy better!

DoubleTen95

Also, i think they make the basic stuff so it isn't so expensive people poor people like me can have them! :D

fiercecircus

Epiphone necks are way too fat for my girl hands. As a matter of fact, i almost bought an Ibanez just because their necks are so skinny... (i don't really like their instruments.)

!

I have a ukulele. Not exactly a guitar, but It's apart of the guitar family :happy:

• Like 1

DoubleTen95

I have a ukulele. Not exactly a guitar, but It's apart of the guitar family :happy:

i want a ukulele so bad!!!!!!!

Cob

Epiphone necks are way too fat for my girl hands. As a matter of fact, i almost bought an Ibanez just because their necks are so skinny... (i don't really like their instruments.)

If you're interested in the Gibson type sound, check out an SG or maybe even a Dot. The necks on those Epiphones are usually reasonable, a lot of the 60's reissues and whatnot are the ones with the baseball bat necks.

DoubleTen95

My friend has an SG and he never lets me play it even though I've been playing longer. Fucking rich kids!!

Cob

My friend has an SG and he never lets me play it even though I've been playing longer. Fucking rich kids!!

Is he good though? My friend Heinrich has been playing for 3 years while I've been playing or 5-6 and he is legions better than me.

DoubleTen95

Is he good though? My friend Heinrich has been playing for 3 years while I've been playing or 5-6 and he is legions better than me.

I mean he's good and I'm not saying length of years playing is everything but I got him into playing and he has a better guitar (or at least more expensive) and all i would do is play a lick or two but NOOOO

• Like 1