Billie Joe on the cover of Rolling Stone "The Road Back From Hell"

Sanity Loan

Wow. That was a read and a half. I just want to give him a hug. I'm glad he's done this, it was hard to read but in a way it's good to know what was going on in his head and how that's changed, how's he's taking the positive route forward and sorting himself out. He's always been a hero but this just makes me have so much more respect for him.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not trying to overanalyze or anything, to don't get me wrong - just looking for clarification. Basically, are we getting from this that the alcohol has been problematic for a really long time (which we basically knew already), but the pills were the more recent thing that really threw him over the edge/started causing full-on blackouts? Because I mean, obviously he's been a drinker for a long time, but he only appeared to be REALLY bad and out during interviews/performances in recent months.

I'm just trying to sift through the information a bit, because it is kind of all over the place and has others have said, a bit overwhelming. I must've read this thing six times already, lol.

I think they were both issues, for a long time. Drinking is the longest term problem, drugs were brought around a bit later, but not much later. Still while they were pretty unknown. But of course Billie was on prescription meds for his anxiety & insomnia as well as taking other illegal drugs, he's been on them for a while [as far as I understand] and has been taking them excessively for a long time, mixing them up & taking more than necessary but only recently has he been taking them & drinking so much to the point of it causing these issues. He did say he's been trying to get sober since Nimrod, so it's been a long-ass time coming.

That's what I got from it, anyway. Not saying I'm right, just my view on it.

Didn't he say they both became a problem during the 21st Century Breakdown time? Read it twice and sure he said it dated back to then though he said about trying to get sober since Nimrod. That bit suprised me a bit I must admit.

Obviously I don't know for sure and I'm not trying to make assumptions, but he has discussed his issues with alcohol in interviews for a long time. Nothing major, but just little mentions here and there that he was trying to go on a hiatus from drinking for a month, or stuff like that.

I don't know. The one weird thing that is kinda throwing me off is the whole AI Musical era. Because he had a rigorous schedule and was putting on consistently fantastic shows. In interviews and with encounters with fans he seemed so wonderful. Interviews with him at that time were some of his best, in my opinion. So it is difficult to reconcile that with the person we are learning about in this interview.

I mean, none of us can overanalyze it. I'd be lying if I said I haven't started wondering how many interviews were done when he was in bad state of mind, but at the same time, that's kind of pointless and I know it. The main focus now, I suppose, is to just look toward the future and enjoy things from here on out, remembering to never take Green Day for granted.

I was quite concerned when I heard about this article. I was expecting and looking forward to a brief statement of thanks and maybe even apology but hearing he did a whole article worried me that it would be over the top and disheartening. However, I feel like Davide Fricke and Billie did an incredible job with this interview. It was very candid and sincere and didn't feel like an attempt to make people feel sorry for him or as a tool in a new promotion strategy. It was sad to hear about how long this has been going on for and how much strain it has put the band in. Its crazy to me that I didn't really notice it until immediately preceding iHeart. The way that Jason and Tre left the stage after the meltdown makes a lot of sense now. But hopefully Billie is able to fully heal and is happier and healthier and will make the band feel happier and healthier as well.

I sill feel somewhat ambivalent about this experience. I still remember how saddened I was when I first heard that BJ was going to rehab for substance abuse. AS other people have said I often don't feel too much sympathy for celebrities who have drug issues, but with Billie I have a soft spot. I am not really sure if I should and I know it doesn't really matter what I think, but those are my reflections.

On a brighter note, does the idea of a lo-fi rock opera sound awesome to anyone else!? If they could imbue Foxboro sound with Green Day music that would be awesome! And no I don't believe that Dos did that. The Trilogy was far too clean to bear much sound resemblance to he tubbies. But anyways a lo-fi Green Day album sounds pretty awesome to me.

re: religion/meditation through prayer.

i don't think anyone here is criticizing billie joe for possibly finding religion. but as fans, some of us think this comment is interesting. is it "our business" to know? of course not. but really nothing in this article is our business, is it? billie joe was generous enough to share his very personal story and it's natural for people to be curious.

I'm more of the opinion that it was just some kind of expression, and he most probably didn't really mean he prays now.

My eyes are fucked after reading that but thank you padackllins for typing it all up! Even if I will be seeing black and white stripes everywhere for the next hour. :lol:

Interesting that we've now got some confirmation that at least a handful of songs on the trilogy are autobiographical. I'd been holding onto some opinions about the tracks because of the strong opposition against us relating his "meltdown" to any aspects of the new music, but now that Billie's been so open about it, it's like why wasn't it completely obvious? Especially Lazy Bones. That song is my favourite from the trilogy and now one of my all-time favourites, and thinking about it after that interview, it's like how could it NOT be autobiographical? How could a song which is clearly so powerful because of its brutal honesty, be just something he thought of without truly experiencing? That section of interview was really enlightening for me, especially as a songwriter myself. A lot of the things he said connected to me in that way.

I feel like this is the last we're going to properly hear about it. Like, the last real, open interview about what happened, and I'm glad. He said all he needed to say, in the hold-no-punches way we all respect, and that's all we could ask for. It'd be unnecessary to ask for any more.

I've long thought that the trilogy was a mostly-autobiographical journey through the loss of control, downward spiral, toll on self and others, and recovery that addiction to anything is. The songwriting is couched in the terms of a dirty old man's midlife crisis and escape with some young skirt that is probably more relatable to more of us than a substance abuse problem is, but that's the brilliance of his songwriting shining through. For example in Fell For You, "I had a dream that I kissed your lips and it felt so true" could be a guy waking up with a wet dream from fantasizing about his paramour, or it could be the alcoholic thinking about how it'll feel when he puts the bottle to his mouth again. There is some HEAVY shit going on it there, and I actually think that by finally framing a context for more casual listeners, the RS interview article might just give the album series the kick in the ass it needs to start getting the appreciation that, in truth, it has always deserved.

hmmm interesting. I kind of understand why he started getting drunk onstage in the beginning because he wasn't confident enough in his stage performance. You'd think by now he wouldnt need the extra boost and would just let the adrenalin and crowd energy work its magic, him being a much more seasoned and experienced front man and all. Who knows, maybe it wont be as spontaneous.

Not considering health or anything but just pure performance wise, i'd prefer a sober performance. I'd trade streaking and mad rants for tight songs and perfect pitch any day.

The most interesting thing on this tour I think is that Billie will be out on stage as un-medicated Billie. He's going to feel maybe for the first time what it's like to interact with the fans without the fog of some drug or alcohol either masking the anxiety or masking what's unfolding in front of him. In turn, we're going to see Billie without any of the same filters. If he and we all like what we see, I think it's gonna be all good. :D

I was quite concerned when I heard about this article. I was expecting and looking forward to a brief statement of thanks and maybe even apology but hearing he did a whole article worried me that it would be over the top and disheartening. However, I feel like Davide Fricke and Billie did an incredible job with this interview. It was very candid and sincere and didn't feel like an attempt to make people feel sorry for him or as a tool in a new promotion strategy. It was sad to hear about how long this has been going on for and how much strain it has put the band in. Its crazy to me that I didn't really notice it until immediately preceding iHeart. The way that Jason and Tre left the stage after the meltdown makes a lot of sense now. But hopefully Billie is able to fully heal and is happier and healthier and will make the band feel happier and healthier as well.

I sill feel somewhat ambivalent about this experience. I still remember how saddened I was when I first heard that BJ was going to rehab for substance abuse. AS other people have said I often don't feel too much sympathy for celebrities who have drug issues, but with Billie I have a soft spot. I am not really sure if I should and I know it doesn't really matter what I think, but those are my reflections.

On a brighter note, does the idea of a lo-fi rock opera sound awesome to anyone else!? If they could imbue Foxboro sound with Green Day music that would be awesome! And no I don't believe that Dos did that. The Trilogy was far too clean to bear much sound resemblance to he tubbies. But anyways a lo-fi Green Day album sounds pretty awesome to me.

I know what you mean (bolded). I have to say though, unless its a celebrity that consistently has issues and never sticks to getting clean, I do have some sympathy for them, because it IS a disease.

I have to say though - his addictions don't exactly call to mind, "Oh, rock star problems." Definitely not. It isn't as though he chose to do meth or coke or something. He became addicted to prescription pills in the way many everyday people do for the same reasons that everyday people do. Being addicted to anything is awful, but I must say that I imagine the world outside the Green Day fandom finds it much less damnable to have a prescription drug addiction than an illegal drug addiction.

Do you think that now Billie will be less crazy? I mean, like more quiet and shy? I wonder how it will be to see that! It's kind of like seeing 'the real Billie' onstage!

re: religion/meditation through prayer.

i don't think anyone here is criticizing billie joe for possibly finding religion. but as fans, some of us think this comment is interesting. is it "our business" to know? of course not. but really nothing in this article is our business, is it? billie joe was generous enough to share his very personal story and it's natural for people to be curious.

One of the steps in a lot of addiction recovery programs is conceding that you have no control of your problem and that some power outside of yourself, however you choose to relate to it or however you understand it, is ready to help pull your life back together if you only open yourself to it. Religion can fill that, meditation can fill that, yoga can fill that, anything that helps open you up to some sense of spirituality outside of yourself can fill that. So it doesn't surprise me in the least that Billie is exploring that aspect of his spiritual self even if he thinks that organized religion is a load of B.S.

I don't know how this new and improved Billie will be onstage! Not that i think he was totally fucked up every time he went on stage, but he no doubt had a couple drinks to calm nerves or whatever. To see him as his pure self will be a beautiful thing. I mean, he IS a showman through and through. I'm certainly not going to give alcohol that much credit. Being sober won't take his showmanship away from him - it'll probably make him even better, even if he feels more anxiety about it at first.

"I'd wake up in a strange house on a couch. I wouldn't remember how. It was a complete blackout."

I don't know if I honestly believe this part. So you mean to tell me Mike, Tre, and his wife had no idea about what was going on and would let him sink that low?

"I'd wake up in a strange house on a couch. I wouldn't remember how. It was a complete blackout."

I don't know if I honestly believe this part. So you mean to tell me Mike and Tre had no idea about what was going on and would let him sink that low?

It's not so much about 'letting' him get that low, as not being able to help him. Addicts are hard people to deal with. They were probably worried sick & wanted to do everything they could but didn't want to cross a line. If he was off his face & they tried to pull him out of a club, get him to go home, he'd probably lash out. Not saying he definitely would but from past experiences, alcoholics are not nice people to deal with when they get themselves in that kind of state.

I don't know if I honestly believe this part. So you mean to tell me Mike and Tre had no idea about what was going on and would let him sink that low?

You need to have a lot of courage to step against your friend and tell that what he's doing is wrong and hurting his friends, family and himself. And when the other person is fucked up and wasted, do you think he listens to them? No. I've seen it myself, my mother is alcoholic. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you're trying to do or say, the other person with the problem doesn't believe you. Alcohol and pills takes the control, not what's the right thing to do.

I was really confused about the "waking up in a strange house" comment as well. I suppose he meant while on the road this would happen, because obviously his family would know if he wasn't coming home at night. I guess. But yeah, I'm glad you pointed that out because I did find that to be a weird piece of the interview. I don't thing he's lying or anything, but I'm just trying to understand how that kind of behavior fits into the life of a married man.

I totally understand though that when an addict is in that bad of a state, the drugs in control.

I'm more of the opinion that it was just some kind of expression, and he most probably didn't really mean he prays now.

Ummm that's not an expression...

I was really confused about the "waking up in a strange house" comment as well. I suppose he meant while on the road this would happen, because obviously his family would know if he wasn't coming home at night. I guess. But yeah, I'm glad you pointed that out because I did find that to be a weird piece of the interview. I don't thing he's lying or anything, but I'm just trying to understand how that kind of behavior fits into the life of a married man.

I totally understand though that when an addict is in that bad of a state, the drugs in control.

Yeah I was mainly talking about that strange house comment. I mean I'm not saying he's a liar either but it just sounded strange to me.

Yeah I was mainly talking about that strange house comment. I mean I'm not saying he's a liar either but it just sounded strange to me.

Not to joke about this (because NONE of this is funny obviously) but having heard the trilogy (Nightlife, Stray Heart etc) my thoughts went straight to ...couch yeah right. In fairness though with such heavy drug & alcohol abuse it's hardly suprising that he would wind up in random houses the next morning & Im guessing it was likely not when on tour (thats hardly practical as their schedule is pretty tight). So before people make dumb comments blaming Mike, Tre or Jason for not stopping him think a second...would you blame Adrienne? She was at New York Plaza when he ended up in a park wasted. She was in Vegas at iHeart. Those were two of his worst performances under the influence...why didn't she look after him then?

Sorry if this has already been said, I don't have time to read through the thread. I'm also sorry to crash the party with something negative but as someone very close to a former alcoholic, I feel like it really needs to be said.

People are talking about things like taking "I'm so proud of you" signs to Green Day shows. It's lovely that people are so passionate about supporting him, but try to see it from an addict's point of view - Billie does not need to go back out into the world to find himself staring at a sea of reminders. We've all let him know how proud and supportive we are while he was undergoing his treatment, and he's acknowledged it. He's thanked us all and he's so grateful - but he's also said he doesn't want pity or sympathy. Letting him just get on with his life will help him far more than us showering him with attention. He'll know that you care, that you still love him regardless, when he sees you there screaming his songs back at him full of emotion. You don't need to involve what happened for him to know that.

Instead of dragging this thing out forever we need to think about helping him to move on.

To all you people questioning if the shows are gonna be less fun now when Billie is sober... Are you fucking kidding me?! Do you think he's been drunk at exactly every fucking show through his whole career?! A person can be fun without alcohol!

Not to joke about this (because NONE of this is funny obviously) but having heard the trilogy (Nightlife, Stray Heart etc) my thoughts went straight to ...couch yeah right. In fairness though with such heavy drug & alcohol abuse it's hardly suprising that he would wind up in random houses the next morning & Im guessing it was likely not when on tour (thats hardly practical as their schedule is pretty tight). So before people make dumb comments blaming Mike, Tre or Jason for not stopping him think a second...would you blame Adrienne? She was at New York Plaza when he ended up in a park wasted. She was in Vegas at iHeart. Those were two of his worst performances under the influence...why didn't she look after him then?

I think maybe all of them should have taken more care about this since the very start. It is no secret that it's not good to rely on alcohol too much to stop being shy or have more confidence.

Archived