Billie Joe on the cover of Rolling Stone "The Road Back From Hell"

Sanity Loan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys... I havent read the article yet, but i just want to touch on a couple of things..

Addicts never know when its time to quit on their own. Speaking from experience (with my friend that died in september) my friend NEVER wanted to quit. Even when he lost all his jobs, was homeless, sold all his stuff to get booze, and we'd find him passed out covered in his own piss... When you're addicted, the drug is the only thing you need. And the addict never realizes its a problem. Its the friends and family that know its a problem and wind up convincing the addict to seek help. That doesnt make the addict less of a person, its just part of the disease... Unfortunately not all addicts listen and not all families force their addicted loved ones to go into treatment. My friends and i are still kicking ourselves for not making my friend Scotty go to the emergency room to detox... but hindsight is always 20/20...

And yeah, bottom line is that alcohol addiction is harder to kick than heroin because of the physical effects. Detoxing from long term alcohol addiction WILL cause seizures and neurological effects. We're prety sure this is what killed our friend scotty (he was trying to cut back, but couldnt wake up in the morning without the shakes- delerium tremens- and he was falling down a lot. He'd fallen and hit his head really badly earlier in the day the day he died, and they found his body later on crumpled at the bottom of the stairs with head and neck injuries. He fucking fell down the stairs and died.)

Billies family, friends, and fans are really extraordinarily lucky. I hope he really knows that. Dealing with the aftermath of Scotty's death was hell. Pure hell. You have no idea how many people it affects.

Also, prayer is not necessarily religion. I pray, but not in the "asking the imaginary man in the sky" kind of way. It doesnt mean billies a fundamentalist now :-). You can be spiritual without being religious. Matt Skiba is into meditation- ive been reading about him a lot lately- and he's an athiest (and also a member of the church of satan, but thats kind of a joke.) Meditation can be a powerful thing and still remain outside of religion...

Without tears in my eyes. A terrible story i would say though.

This interview cleared up many things we didn't know about while Billie was in rehab and all that way to 'hell'.

I hope Billie's feeling good now, and i'd like to thank his family, friends and managemant for his resurrection! :wub:

And thank Billie he was too [Arm]strong not to cancel those summer shows!!! :huh:

That's totally fair (the denial). I'm in denial that Stray Heart is autobiographical because uh, I don't want Billie to be a cheating bastard :P And he does use metaphor and write about others in some situations, but I just always keep an open mind that "OK, this COULD be about Billie, it's even likely that it's about Billie, but I can't be certain." I was like 75/25 on the pill thing being autobiographical, or at least, open enough to all the lyrics that it came as no kind of shock to me. I'm honestly surprised so many people were caught off guard.

Oh my God, YES to the Stray Heart thing. I try not to be in denial about things but I choose not to even think about that possibility. :lol:

Heather always post very beautiful things that makes me feel good, specially about this. Thanks Heather :wub:

Seriously.

Billie is definitely handling his "comeback" in the best way possible. I'm glad he's talking to Rolling Stone and that's it - I mean really, how much does one have to talk about something like this? I knew it must've been pretty serious, but even so, this is so difficult to read about. I can't even imagine how difficult it is for him to talk about this, and he shouldn't have to relive it all through the media more than once.

This has been a really scary, difficult time in Green Day world. Someone else said it earlier, and it was so true - my heart feels weird. It is so wonderful to see his face again, to know that he's alright, to hear that he never intends to drink again (I can't even describe how happy that made me). But its tough. Because even though I've never had illusions that he was perfect by any means, even though I love the guy BECAUSE he's normal and has issues just like the rest of us... as a fan, you never expect something like this to happen to your favorite band. You just don't.

Anyway, it is amazing to have him back. I'm glad he's talking about everything, as hard as it is to read about. I'm very, very proud of him and the fact that he has taken this seriously and gotten through it. He is someone I hold very close to my heart, and having gone through some struggles of my own as of late, it is incredible to have him back.

As for his manager being the one to tell him to go to rehab - honestly, I think it is quite a lot to expect an addict to recognize their problem and choose to go to rehab on their own. When they're the ones living it, they don't see the problem, and that IS the problem. They don't know they're addicted. I think the important thing is that he agreed to get help. Even though he wasn't the one who came up with the idea, a person can't get better unless they accept their problem and want to change for the better.

Oh yeah, I had a lot of that "MY favorite band?" reaction throughout all of this. Any fandom crisis I was part of previously seemed so damn pathetic compared to this, so it was weird.

That was a nice read. I feel like it didn't fully satisfy me. *shrugs* I don't know, there is just this feeling I can't shake.

I have a feeling like that, too. It doesn't have to do with the interview itself, but just more because there is still so much uncertainty. This isn't something that can be cured. Billie doesn't know if he's actually "better." In fact, from this interview I got the impression that he's kind of terrified about everything that's happened and will happen soon with the tour. We don't know if he'll be able to stay clean, we don't know if he'll be able to maintain his stamina, we don't know if he'll be as good of a performer as he was, we don't know if the concerts will be as long as they were, we don't know if everyone around him will be able to accommodate his needs, you guys get it. It's scary as a fan; I can't imagine what he's thinking.

With that said, although he does have some lofty expectations to live up to, I hope he realizes just how excited we all are not just to see him perform, but to see HIM. Even with those lofty expectations, I think it's safe to say that we're all excited and relieved he's still making the effort to come back. He talks about how he thinks he became a showman in the past 10 years, and he's right. And there's no way in hell, even if a lot of that came from liquid courage, that he's going to completely regress or anything. People DO want to see him in any form, and I am hoping and praying that the crowds that come out will be fucking nuts (not so nuts that they kill me in the pit :lol:) and that he can feed off of that and take what he's learned from the past 10 years and just realize that no matter what happens offstage, he is at home onstage. Oh fuck, that sounds so cheesy.

I'm nervous as hell, yes. On a selfish level, I'm worried my concert/the tour will still be canceled because, on a more empathetic level, I'm worried that it will be even harder than Billie's already expecting it to be (not that I don't have confidence in him, because I do), and you can tell he knows the hell that is ahead. But I'm thankful he's making the effort and that he's here TO make that effort.

I loved how introspective he got with the songs and lyrics, old and new. I don't know if "I thought everyone was in on the joke, but I was the joke" was supposed to relate back to the "Everybody loves a joke but no one likes a fool" line in Jackass, but it's fascinating to see how much he was revealing in his lyrics (I say that without trying to over-analyze everything he's written) that maybe we as fans were actually kind of blind to.

ANYWAY, fuck all y'all for getting your issues already or before me. I don't exactly live in bumfuck nowhere but I still won't get my issue until Saturday, a day, possibly two (since they're often on some newsstands Thursday) after people can buy it! :lol:

You guys... I havent read the article yet, but i just want to touch on a couple of things..

Addicts never know when its time to quit on their own. Speaking from experience (with my friend that died in september) my friend NEVER wanted to quit. Even when he lost all his jobs, was homeless, sold all his stuff to get booze, and we'd find him passed out covered in his own piss... When you're addicted, the drug is the only thing you need. And the addict never realizes its a problem. Its the friends and family that know its a problem and wind up convincing the addict to seek help. That doesnt make the addict less of a person, its just part of the disease... Unfortunately not all addicts listen and not all families force their addicted loved ones to go into treatment. My friends and i are still kicking ourselves for not making my friend Scotty go to the emergency room to detox... but hindsight is always 20/20...

And yeah, bottom line is that alcohol addiction is harder to kick than heroin because of the physical effects. Detoxing from long term alcohol addiction WILL cause seizures and neurological effects. We're prety sure this is what killed our friend scotty (he was trying to cut back, but couldnt wake up in the morning without the shakes- delerium tremens- and he was falling down a lot. He'd fallen and hit his head really badly earlier in the day the day he died, and they found his body later on crumpled at the bottom of the stairs with head and neck injuries. He fucking fell down the stairs and died.)

Billies family, friends, and fans are really extraordinarily lucky. I hope he really knows that. Dealing with the aftermath of Scotty's death was hell. Pure hell. You have no idea how many people it affects.

Also, prayer is not necessarily religion. I pray, but not in the "asking the imaginary man in the sky" kind of way. It doesnt mean billies a fundamentalist now :-). You can be spiritual without being religious. Matt Skiba is into meditation- ive been reading about him a lot lately- and he's an athiest (and also a member of the church of satan, but thats kind of a joke.) Meditation can be a powerful thing and still remain outside of religion...

I'm sorry about your friend. You really put int to words how difficult addiction can be / is, though.

Your post wasn't made before I started making mine (yes, it took me 30 minutes to post, shut up :lol:) but I'm so sorry about your friend. It's amazing that something so innocuous would lead to his downfall. I mean, look at Amy Winehouse, her death was caused by the alcohol withdrawal you speak of (and, grimly and bitterly ironically, it sounds like this is something that is/was of real concern to Billie and those around him). I thank God every day that addiction isn't something that has affected me or someone I know personally because it's so hard to wrap my mind around it (and I'll admit that it's lead me to talking out of my ass about it before; I'm trying to change that).

Great to see this interview end so positively:

So you can envision doing this - being in Green Day - at 50

Yeah

At 60 ?

Oh, yeah. Keep going !

He looks so freaking hot :wub: To be honest, when I first saw this cover I got emotional,

I'm just so happy (like all of us) that he is ok. We were all so worried and now finally everything is allright :D

I can't even explain how happy this cover makes me,

I might have to wait for it a long time over here in the Netherlands, but this cover made my whole month :runaround:

This was the most intimate and interesting interview a member of Green Day's done in a while. It seems like a lot more of their history as a band makes a ton more sense now that we know the extent of these problems and how long they've been going on for. Really great piece.

And the cover is great, too.

I'll say it again: The Rev died at iHeart. BJ simply can never touch another drop of alcohol, and with that goes 70% of what FBHT is built on. :cry:

Which makes me happy. Personally I can barely watch a FBHT performance without getting a strange feeling and I felt like that long before the rehab thing.

Great interview, i think people have pretty much talked about all the major points and stuff, but something that surprised me is that Adrienne doesn't drink!?!

When does the UK get Rolling Stone magazine? :ermm:

I think WH Smith are about a week (even two) behind

I think WH Smith are about a week (even two) behind

We no longer have WH Smith :( we have something called Easons which is sort of similar so I guess they might be the same, thanks :)

This was the perfect interview for him to do. Now he's got everything out in the open he can hopefully move forward without it being brought up over and over again.

I thought reading this would be really tough, and even though learning what he has gone through has been upsetting, his attitude and honesty towards it has left me with a very positive feeling. I'm so proud of him!

Are there scans? I don't wanan trawl 25 pages of people saying
"I'm gonna cry when I read this" (no offence) and random quotes

so, scans?

Are there scans? I don't wanan trawl 25 pages of people saying

"I'm gonna cry when I read this" (no offence) and random quotes

so, scans?

@lastgangintown posted pics on Instagram.

Great interview. I'm so proud of Billie :wub:

Sounds like 2014 will be a pretty good year! And he's started writing new music :dance:

That was a shock to wake up to this morning, a fantastic shock though, lets hope billie can put the last 5 months behind him

Archived