SotW: Holiday

HolidayContradiction

I love how the pyros explode exactly when he sings Bang Bang when they play this song live.

It's almost like it's intentional or something...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost

They were supposed to go off during Christian's Inferno, but some idiots probably messed up the timer.

Ah, the American Idiot era.

Holiday is a classic track, and has one of the strongest Green Day hooks, along with that amazingggg bridge.

Classic.

Holiday was the second Green Day song I heard. I love that song so much! And when they play it live is fucking awesome! Also the lyrics are great.

Holiday is such an anthem, it showcases all aspects of Green Day so well, definitely one of the best on American Idiot and one of their overall best. If I were to introduce someone to Green Day, I'd probably start with this song.

This is my favorite from American Idiot, and one of my all time favorite from GD.

There's a tiny story about the first time I heard this song, but the most important part is that it was like the "catapult" towards Green Day, and it made me think: -That's it. I need to have American idiot.-

"I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies"; not only on politics, but also in life.

Noticed something in the OP, the video posted being from Rock am Ring in Germany. On Holiday Billie Joe usually made the NSDAP extended arm salute when he sang "Seig Heil to the president gasman", performing this gesture in public is against the law since Germany is paranoid about the subject to the point of ape shit crazy, I wanted to see if he did it at that show but the director cuts away from Billie Joe at that moment, perhaps on purpose, so I figured he either did it and they let it slip cause it's in a musical context or he was warned about it by their management and he didn't do it. Interesting, can anyone confirm?

Noticed something in the OP, the video posted being from Rock am Ring in Germany. On Holiday Billie Joe usually made the NSDAP extended arm salute when he sang "Seig Heil to the president gasman", performing this gesture in public is against the law since Germany is paranoid about the subject to the point of ape shit crazy, I wanted to see if he did it at that show but the director cuts away from Billie Joe at that moment, perhaps on purpose, so I figured he either did it and they let it slip cause it's in a musical context or he was warned about it by their management and he didn't do it. Interesting, can anyone confirm?

Interesting. I didn't know or realize that. Hope someone knows the answer though!

and you still have the chance to write the OP to any other song!

I didn't realise this gesture was against the law. I am definitely going to check my german concerts to see if BJ performed it whilst , a) filmed on TV, b) caught on bootlegs. I think I have this concert filmed from a couple of different sources and with slightly different angles, so I will check it as I now find myself quite intrriged by this..

I didn't realise this gesture was against the law. I am definitely going to check my german concerts to see if BJ performed it whilst , a) filmed on TV, b) caught on bootlegs. I think I have this concert filmed from a couple of different sources and with slightly different angles, so I will check it as I now find myself quite intrriged by this..

Let us know what you find!

Not sure, but he definitely did not do it at the World Stage show. He knows better. Usually.

On Holiday Billie Joe usually made the NSDAP extended arm salute when he sang "Seig Heil to the president gasman", performing this gesture in public is against the law since Germany is paranoid about the subject to the point of ape shit crazy,

I don't know about the "paranoia"-part, but as for me, i am still ashamed of the history of my country. But yes, it is outlawed here. Ironically enough, in Nazi Germany, you would get punished if you DIDN'T perform it. Strange world.

However, the Wikipediaarticle of the Nazi salute says: "Usage that is "ironic and clearly critical of the Hitler Greeting" is exempt, which has led to legal debates as to what constitutes ironic use", and Billie - if he performed it here - would probably fall under this.

What always strikes me, when i read the lyrics is that most of the time - also in the booklet of American Idiot - they read "zieg heil to the president gasman". But in german it would actually be "sieg heil" with an "s" instead of a "z". Does anybody know if that means something special, or if Billie just misspelled it?

Your country did what many nations have done across history in wars, killing civilians. Dresden, Hiroshima and other allied crimes in the war testify to that, war is horrid and that's that. You were not the villains and they were not the heroes IMO, but you did the mistake of losing terribly so you had to carry the burden of everything through the winner's education for so long and it annoys me to find Germans today who still think that way. I'm a leftist who finds a good friend in leftists all over the world except Germany :lol:

Anyway, so how would the police determine whether or not you did the salute in sarcasm or not? Every fascist can do it and then say I was joking.

I don't know about the "paranoia"-part, but as for me, i am still ashamed of the history of my country. But yes, it is outlawed here. Ironically enough, in Nazi Germany, you would get punished if you DIDN'T perform it. Strange world.

However, the Wikipediaarticle of the Nazi salute says: "Usage that is "ironic and clearly critical of the Hitler Greeting" is exempt, which has led to legal debates as to what constitutes ironic use", and Billie - if he performed it here - would probably fall under this.

What always strikes me, when i read the lyrics is that most of the time - also in the booklet of American Idiot - they read "zieg heil to the president gasman". But in german it would actually be "sieg heil" with an "s" instead of a "z". Does anybody know if that means something special, or if Billie just misspelled it?

I absolutely love this song (it was one of the first Green Day songs I ever heard) but everytime I hear the "Sieg Heil" part I feel strange. I never sing/shout it along, if someone would hear me doing it, they would think I am out of my mind.

I always wondered why they wrote it with "Z", but maybe we'll never find out.

The three times I saw Green Day performing this song in Germany (Cologne, Mainz and Konstanz) Billie never raised his right arm while shouting the "Sieg Heil". I don't think that he would get into trouble if he did it, but I think it's better not doing it in Germany.

Archived