Song of the Week Calendar. Thanks to everyone who participated

HolidayContradiction

Hey, I might give this a go one week! None of the songs on the list are really calling out to me, but if Macy's Day Parade gets listed, then I might try and have a go :) Or Scattered or Letterbomb. Hmm.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll defiantly try this out when theres songs that I want to, this week's stuff isn't calling out to me. Cool idea though great way to get the community involved.

i know i just started posting here (you can read my introductory hello at the welcome to paradise forum) but I have quite a lot of experience writing. I love just about every green day song ever written, although to be honest there are a handful from the trilogy I skip over as well as a couple off of 21st CB.

I went through a pretty emotional time (breaking up with my girlfriend of 2 years) days before TRE was released. I love the album, it is my favorite of the trilogy I think (although DOS has been creeping it's way up there) I loved the song Brutal Love right away. The simple opening guitar chords under that great, classic vocal melody with Billie nailing his vocals. The old-fashioned rock and roll ballad feel that blooms as the song builds with a brass section (I love it when green Day experiments). And that beautifully dark guitar solo that becomes the same melody as the key changes and Billie bellows "Drop out, drop dead hideous...how low is this brutal love?" with those what I call "off chords" spliced in perfectly to give the song that grand, chaotic but melodic dark ending to what began as a simplistic wounded love song. Having said that, I heard the song before this big emotional blow-out with my now ex-girlfriend happened. But the words took on so much more meaning, as if it was written specifically for the crazy situation (and it was crazy, believe me haha) that i was experiencing. My emotions were a mess and I was drinking too much, but that song i listened to on repeat. The beginning would ease me into a fragile but comforting emotional state while the end of the song vented my frustrations and anger toward the situation. It was a perfect song. The whole album aided me in that time of need, with songs applying to my situation (brutal love, missing you, drama queen, walk away) I even gained a great appreciation for the forgotten as a great ending of the trilogy with the lyrics. I let go of my expectations and accepted the maturity and expression of green day's art as a still-stunning, even more beautiful gift we should all be thankful to have such a great band in our lives.

Sorry for the tangent, I guess my point is I would love to write about any song, when I get my thoughts collected I'll make a list of songs I feel I would be able to do a great write-up for. I just think Brutal Love has not been written about or praised fully by the green day community (from what i've seen) and seeing as it's the first song on the last album of the trilogy, I thought it would be a good choice. But obviously you can see my personal bias. But it's these personal connections a fan has with these songs that I think make for great perspective in terms of relating to a song and for other fans to become aware of the deeper dimensions the song possesses. :)

OooohoooOooooHooooOOooooHHHHhhh yeah I'll probably do this if I remember.

And we can apply more than once right?

i know i just started posting here (you can read my introductory hello at the welcome to paradise forum) but I have quite a lot of experience writing. I love just about every green day song ever written, although to be honest there are a handful from the trilogy I skip over as well as a couple off of 21st CB.

I went through a pretty emotional time (breaking up with my girlfriend of 2 years) days before TRE was released. I love the album, it is my favorite of the trilogy I think (although DOS has been creeping it's way up there) I loved the song Brutal Love right away. The simple opening guitar chords under that great, classic vocal melody with Billie nailing his vocals. The old-fashioned rock and roll ballad feel that blooms as the song builds with a brass section (I love it when green Day experiments). And that beautifully dark guitar solo that becomes the same melody as the key changes and Billie bellows "Drop out, drop dead hideous...how low is this brutal love?" with those what I call "off chords" spliced in perfectly to give the song that grand, chaotic but melodic dark ending to what began as a simplistic wounded love song. Having said that, I heard the song before this big emotional blow-out with my now ex-girlfriend happened. But the words took on so much more meaning, as if it was written specifically for the crazy situation (and it was crazy, believe me haha) that i was experiencing. My emotions were a mess and I was drinking too much, but that song i listened to on repeat. The beginning would ease me into a fragile but comforting emotional state while the end of the song vented my frustrations and anger toward the situation. It was a perfect song. The whole album aided me in that time of need, with songs applying to my situation (brutal love, missing you, drama queen, walk away) I even gained a great appreciation for the forgotten as a great ending of the trilogy with the lyrics. I let go of my expectations and accepted the maturity and expression of green day's art as a still-stunning, even more beautiful gift we should all be thankful to have such a great band in our lives.

Sorry for the tangent, I guess my point is I would love to write about any song, when I get my thoughts collected I'll make a list of songs I feel I would be able to do a great write-up for. I just think Brutal Love has not been written about or praised fully by the green day community (from what i've seen) and seeing as it's the first song on the last album of the trilogy, I thought it would be a good choice. But obviously you can see my personal bias. But it's these personal connections a fan has with these songs that I think make for great perspective in terms of relating to a song and for other fans to become aware of the deeper dimensions the song possesses. :)

Sounds great, we will add a song from thr trilogy sometime in thr near futre. Maybe it could be brutal love.

OooohoooOooooHooooOOooooHHHHhhh yeah I'll probably do this if I remember.

And we can apply more than once right?

Yes you can apply for every goddamn dong if you'd like :)

When will the calendar of upcoming songs be posted?

Sounds great, we will add a song from thr trilogy sometime in thr near futre. Maybe it could be brutal love.

Yes you can apply for every goddamn dong if you'd like :)

My dong is no longer open for applications.

When will the calendar of upcoming songs be posted?

It's in the first post of this thread. I'll reorganize it a bit so it's easier to see.

FYI guys, applications for Longview are due tomorrow, applications for American Eulogy are due on the 10th, and applications for 1,000 Hours are due on the 17th. We'll be announcing the March 31st song on the 10th.

We have now received applications and decided for who will get to write the OP for Longview and I'm excited to see how it turns out :D

The songs we are taking applications for now is American Eulogy, 1,000 Hours and Scattered. I hope to see your application! Don't be shy (or too busy. It doesn't take that long)

She for the 31st! I'll rock it!

we're trying to spread out the songs from the different albums, but I can promise that the next song from Dookie will be She

• 2 weeks later...

I think a song I would like to write about is "Brainstew." I heard it on the bus today and I felt like I had more to say about that than some of the songs that we can choose from right now.

I think a song I would like to write about is "Brainstew." I heard it on the bus today and I felt like I had more to say about that than some of the songs that we can choose from right now.

I'll add it to the list sometime soon :)

Scattered is a great song! But I think I'll still wait till She is there

we're trying to spread out the songs from the different albums, but I can promise that the next song from Dookie will be She

Yo, when you do it, can I have first dibs on writing about 'Are We The Waiting'? Please... :)

When we do Boulevard can I do it? That song means so much to me.

Yo, when you do it, can I have first dibs on writing about 'Are We The Waiting'? Please... :)

We don't so dibs on SOTW's, because that means only the ones who yell it out first or loudest get to write them. We would rather base it on a good application, so when the songs is up in the calendar, write up the first paragraph and an outline for the rest of it and send it to us at least a week before it's to be posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone want to write Geek Stink Breath? Or are you gonna make us do it?

(hint: apply)

No competition? I think I'll give it a go then :)

Can I do the Ballad of Wihelm Fink? That one will be easy since it should be five, maybe ten words tops.

So we have to wait until 2093 for Ha Ha, You're Dead?

yes. That'll be the year I turn a 100 so I think it will be a good way to celebrate

N

5/5/2013: Android (Apllications due April 28th)

Apllications? Sounds kinky...

Archived